• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach South West - Fleet News & Discussion

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This is a continuation of the discussion in the Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales thread, but for Stagecoach South West only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkC

Any idea if Stagecoach proposed changes for Plymouth area contained in their 2020 consultation will ever happen or have they been binned?
Thinking of 101 park and ride being rerouted via Mutley instead of Milehouse and X38 Exeter to Plymouth terminating at Ivybridge?

Also if 101 operates via Mutley how will the Milehouse PR site be serviced?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Stagecoach have announced that, as from Sunday 13th September 2020, the SW Falcon will see a revised timetable along with an additional call at Wellington (Cades Farm, although Google Maps has it as Cadres Farm). The new timetable, which seems to include brief pauses at one or two other places on the route than at the time of writing, along with some idea of fares from Wellington can be found at https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/south-west/sw-falcon-wellington

HTIOI,
Dave

Last edited:

greatvoyager

Established Member
Just out of interest, does anyone know what's happened with 19571, which was going to be the hop222 open topper?

MarkC

Seen on Devon Live that Stagecoach have been refused retrospective planning permission for depot on land they currently use for base at Stoke Fleming in the South Hams. It was noted by several councillors that indications had been made that if permission not granted it may not be viable for Stagecoach to continue services in the area as nearest depot would be too far away in Dartmouth to make it a viable operation.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Seen on Devon Live that Stagecoach have been refused retrospective planning permission for depot on land they currently use for base at Stoke Fleming in the South Hams. It was noted by several councillors that indications had been made that if permission not granted it may not be viable for Stagecoach to continue services in the area as nearest depot would be too far away in Dartmouth to make it a viable operation.
Please remember to post a link to and a note from your source, please.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

MarkC

Probably not on there as not a legal base I would think. I thought that with regards to Dartmouth but from report it did seem to indicate the operation in area wouldn't be viable without it

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Doesn't appear on their O license though.

Can't understand why they need it - not far from Dartmouth
My interpretation is they had to move out of the old site roughly half a mile down the A3122 (the former First base in Dartmouth) as that is set for redevelopment, and are now in this new site (corner of a field at top of Venn Lane)? So this is their current Dartmouth base as featured on their O license, as opposed to an additional one close to another Dartmouth base? Happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood though!

Previous site: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3467492,-3.6045632,82m/data=!3m1!1e3

New/current site (as per O license and news article): https://www.google.com/maps/@50.347733,-3.6134311,99m/data=!3m1!1e3

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yes it does...

Thought that Great Cotton Farm was the one they inherited from First but that's LITTLE Cotton.... think I lost the thread :lol: Thanks for putting me right
My interpretation is they had to move out of the old site roughly half a mile down the A3122 (the former First base in Dartmouth) as that is set for redevelopment, and are now in this new site (corner of a field at top of Venn Lane)? So this is their current Dartmouth base as featured on their O license, as opposed to an additional one close to another Dartmouth base? Happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood though!

Previous site: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3467492,-3.6045632,82m/data=!3m1!1e3

New/current site (as per O license and news article): https://www.google.com/maps/@50.347733,-3.6134311,99m/data=!3m1!1e3
I had a snoop on Google Earth earlier and suspected that might be their preferred location.

Perhaps Stagecoach could rent some space in the coach park of the P&R?

swifty

Established Member

Spot on with regards to the sites and redevelopment, think the OPs got the wrong end of the stick from the article.

jammy36

In addition to the various leisure and open-top services announced by First South West (see separate thread), it looks like Stagecoach South West are also getting in on the action. In addition to announcing the return of the Hop 122 service, they've also tweeted about a new open-top route in North Devon:

We’re so excited to get our open top buses out on the road this summer that we’re adding even more to the fleet! We’ve got a brand new open top service coming to North Devon, keep your eyes peeled for more information soon!

The associated graphic specifically mentions Croyde.

cnjb8

Established Member
In addition to the various leisure and open-top services announced by First South West (see separate thread), it looks like Stagecoach South West are also getting in on the action. In addition to announcing the return of the Hop 122 service, they've also tweeted about a new open-top route in North Devon:

19105, 19106 and 19107 at Barnstaple have been earmarked for open top conversion

swifty

Established Member

Resurrection of the 8 that First ran as an open top route between Croyde and Barnstaple in their last years in North Devon?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

They are clearly very excited....

"We've got an exiciting new open top bus route coming to Croyde very soon!"

Had a quick explore on Flickr as I recalled First operating something; they had the Atlantic Explorer 8 that ran from Barnstaple to Braunton, Saunton and Croyde finishing at the holiday park in Croyde in 2011. North Devon Red Bus inherited an open top Atlantean in 1983 and that did something as well around Ilfracombe/Barnstaple apparently.

EDIT: @swifty just beat me to it on the 8

swifty

Established Member

Had a quick explore on Flickr as I recalled First operating something; they had the Atlantic Explorer 8 that ran from Barnstaple to Braunton, Saunton and Croyde finishing at the holiday park in Croyde in 2011. North Devon Red Bus inherited an open top Atlantean in 1983 and that did something as well around Ilfracombe/Barnstaple apparently.

I found a press release for the launch of the 8 in 2011 and it said it was the first open top in the region for 6 years? The fleet before must’ve been the open top ex Aberdeen tat they had?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I found a press release for the launch of the 8 in 2011 and it said it was the first open top in the region for 6 years? The fleet before must’ve been the open top ex Aberdeen tat they had?
Funny you mention that. I thought the same but when looking on Flickr, I couldn't find any evidence of that. Just a photo of one Atlantean parked up with a tarp on it for winter storage in Ilfracombe depot. Perhaps it rarely ran but surprised no local snapper captured it.

That being said, I expect Stagecoach to be more professional and committed than 2011 era First

DaveHarries

Established Member

Sounds like a duplication of (or replacement for) the 21A between Barnstaple and Georgeham (at least for the summer)?

Dave

Whiteway215

Established Member
First ran their open top service with two of their 38xxx Volvo B10M-50s that originated with Badgerline/First Somerset & Avon.
Also Stagecoach ran a summer service named ‘North Devon Surf & Cycle Bus’ (Barnstaple-Braunton-Croyde-Woolacombe) around 2012/13 using a couple of Olympians 16017 and 16164 which had their lower decks stripped out to accommodate surfboards, kayaks and bikes. May have been subsidised by local tourist board.

carlberry

Established Member
First ran their open top service with two of their 38xxx Volvo B10M-50s that originated with Badgerline/First Somerset & Avon.
Also Stagecoach ran a summer service named ‘North Devon Surf & Cycle Bus’ (Barnstaple-Braunton-Croyde-Woolacombe) around 2012/13 using a couple of Olympians 16017 and 16164 which had their lower decks stripped out to accommodate surfboards, kayaks and bikes. May have been subsidised by local tourist board.
Western National ran the 'Woolacombe Beach Bus' many years ago, with LHs I think. Stripping the standard NBC seats out of the LH might have given the passengers a better experience!

Whiteway215

Established Member
Western National ran the 'Woolacombe Beach Bus' many years ago, with LHs I think. Stripping the standard NBC seats out of the LH might have given the passengers a better experience!
Also adding to the passengesrs’ LH experience- the mountain to climb to get on, the raucous engine noise and crunching gearbox!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It was First 38001/5

Mind you, I'd forgotten all about those Stagecoach Olympians on the Surf bus though they were closed tops. Hopefully going topless will be more appealing....

Also adding to the passengesrs’ LH experience- the mountain to climb to get on, the raucous engine noise and crunching gearbox!
How very dare you both. First of all, it wasn't that bad to clamber on board; it was no Alexander Y type Leopard and indeed, the later LHs had low, easy access courtesy of a lower step that happened to ground at various cambered spots! Also, the crunching of the gearbox was only reflective of the quality of driver; I remember having one driver who managed to drive an LH back to the depot without a clutch and didn't grind a gear!!

I remember my home firm getting some ex Bristol OC LHs and they had luxury that United ones didn't..... moquette. That was almost like having panda fur seats in those days!!

greatvoyager

Established Member
In order to celebrate 25 years of Stagecoach in Devon, Enviro400 19001 has been repainted in the pre-2000 stagecoach stripes livery.

gka472l

There are a few pics on a couple of private Facebook groups (Stagecoach Enthusiasts and Stagecoach South West Enthusiasts), have to say that it looks spot on, they've done a cracking job on it.