• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West - Fleet News & Discussion

Dren Ahmeti

That's never the problem - that can take days.

The issue currently is that all vehicles are not yet fit for passenger service and work is being done at Scania Cheltenham on fans I believe.

Then you have the problem of emptying out Gloucester which is already at full capacity and has far from enough room for 21 Scanias.
We’ll happily take them down at Bristol...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GoneSouth

Then you have the problem of emptying out Gloucester which is already at full capacity and has far from enough room for 21 Scanias.
I walked past there recently on the way to the close by hospital. It looks like a very compact site, I can’t see how they can bung 21 new vehicles in there without spilling into the road. I would have thought a site out of town in the Gloucester business park or in the staverton area would give more options. Actually, is there any room left at the railway triangle next to Morrisons? Maybe the difficulty of getting vehicles in and out of such a small space contributes to their random vehicle allocation that some of you have mentioned?

carlberry

Established Member
I walked past there recently on the way to the close by hospital. It looks like a very compact site, I can’t see how they can bung 21 new vehicles in there without spilling into the road. I would have thought a site out of town in the Gloucester business park or in the staverton area would give more options. Actually, is there any room left at the railway triangle next to Morrisons? Maybe the difficulty of getting vehicles in and out of such a small space contributes to their random vehicle allocation that some of you have mentioned?
It's easy enough to arrange a lot of one for one swaps to replace vehicles over a few days. With a bit of planning it's possible to do this for the kind of full replacement in a day that Stagecoach have often done (I believe this has been done previously with Cheltenham and Gloucester services by replacing vehicles at terminal points like Gloucester bus station).
The more general problem of the vehicle allocation being constrained by the depot size is a fact of life and means that if, operationally, you cant give a good percentage of correct allocations then it's not worth plastering route numbers over the sides of vehicles!
Having work needed on these vehicles suggsts that Scania's first delivery of double deckers to Stagecoach for several years might not be repeated!

Update from the Enthusiast group:

Gloucester will be keeping 15856, 15859, 15763 and 15764 from their current gold allocation. They’ve already been fitted with new seats to match the new Scanias. 15521-22 and 15841-55 are leaving.

15351 (YT21DVB) arrived at Gloucester depot this morning.

Last edited:

CharlesR

Subject to change, these are the vehicles which will remain at Gloucester depot alongside the 21 new vehicles:

18088 - VX04 GHU
18089 - VX04 GHV
18090 - VX04 GHY
18180 - MX54 LPC
18192 - MX54 LPZ
18200 - VX54 NNK
18313 - KX05 TWL
18315 - KX05 TWN

15638 - SF10 CCU
15732 - VX61 FKF
15733 - VX61 FKG
15734 - VX61 FKH
15735 - VX61 FKJ
15763 - VX61 FKN (GOLD)
15764 - VX61 FJU (GOLD)
15856 - VX62 CZD (GOLD)
15859 - VX62 CZT (GOLD)
15877 - VX13 FLD
15878 - VX13 FLE
15879 - VX13 FLF
15880 - VX13 FLG

15763/64, 15856 and 15859 will be the only remaining gold vehicles and have had interior refurbishments as stated above.

Please note a very large amount of this list will be allocated to the Coleford outstation.

tramboy

Having work needed on these vehicles suggsts that Scania's first delivery of double deckers to Stagecoach for several years might not be repeated!
Just briefly, where they are in terms of build/delivery sounds normal for most products.

Scania's standard is hydraulic fan, but the efan conversion is offered, and then they're given to a Scania dealer in the local area for the final PDI. I would suggest it's more Scania being ultra careful to ensure they stand a chance at future orders!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Just briefly, where they are in terms of build/delivery sounds normal for most products.

Scania's standard is hydraulic fan, but the efan conversion is offered, and then they're given to a Scania dealer in the local area for the final PDI. I would suggest it's more Scania being ultra careful to ensure they stand a chance at future orders!
I seem to recall that all of First's new Scanias for Bristol went via the local dealership in Avonmouth to do the PDI (Pre-delivery Inspection) - makes sense to have one last check before delivery.

I'm sure that they will have a programme to swap them over and space won't be an issue. Imagine that the displaced vehicles will head wherever and possibly Stroud will be used for some storage as it tends to be.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I don’t see why Gloucester needs to put more vehicles in there or move to a bigger depot? The current location is great being that close to the City Centre. If slightly more space is needed I would put more in Coleford, closer to Lydney/Blakeney starts/finishes etc. To be honest I think it’s a solution looking for a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

cnjb8

Established Member
I don’t see why Glouc needs to put more vehicles in there or move to a bigger depot? The current location is great being that close to the City Centre. If slightly more space is needed I would put more in Coleford, closer to Lydney/Blakeney starts/finishes etc. To be honest I think it’s a solution looking for a problem.
I wonder wether Stagecoach have considered building a depot to combine Cheltenham and Gloucester depots. Probably be a nightmare and a lot of dead mileage on the A40

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I don’t see why Glouc needs to put more vehicles in there or move to a bigger depot? The current location is great being that close to the City Centre. If slightly more space is needed I would put more in Coleford, closer to Lydney/Blakeney starts/finishes etc. To be honest I think it’s a solution looking for a problem.

I wonder wether Stagecoach have considered building a depot to combine Cheltenham and Gloucester depots. Probably be a nightmare and a lot of dead mileage on the A40
Stagecoach tend not to incur dead mileage and especially when there are two extensive local networks. However, I could see Gloucester being replaced in favour of a lower cost alternative but it's not the greatest issue I'd suggest.

cnjb8

Established Member
Stagecoach tend not to incur dead mileage and especially when there are two extensive local networks. However, I could see Gloucester being replaced in favour of a lower cost alternative but it's not the greatest issue I'd suggest.
Yep, you are correct!

AB93

I seem to recall that all of First's new Scanias for Bristol went via the local dealership in Avonmouth to do the PDI (Pre-delivery Inspection) - makes sense to have one last check before delivery.

I'm sure that they will have a programme to swap them over and space won't be an issue. Imagine that the displaced vehicles will head wherever and possibly Stroud will be used for some storage as it tends to be.
Indeed - and in fact they were not complete upon their arrival at Avonmouth, the final fitting of various Scania bits to the (now-built) ADL bodywork being required to take place.

So I think it's safe to assume that everything is following the normal process with these Stagecoach ones.

GoneSouth

I was just asking if it would help as I’d seen them parking vehicles in the bus stops along London Road to free up space to get the right vehicles out. It is very handy for the bus station though

TheWalrus

Established Member
I was just asking if it would help as I’d seen them parking vehicles in the bus stops along London Road to free up space to get the right vehicles out. It is very handy for the bus station though
Is that in the morning? Maybe they moved them out there then to get another bus out? It has also been done when works have restricted access to the depot.

I believe they have but the cost is astronomical plus all the dead mileage as you say.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Update from the Enthusiast group:

Gloucester will be keeping 15856, 15859, 15763 and 15764 from their current gold allocation. They’ve already been fitted with new seats to match the new Scanias. 15521-22 and 15841-55 are leaving.

15351 (YT21DVB) arrived at Gloucester depot this morning.
I've just seen 15351 turn into Gloucester station in it's new yellow livery and 10 branding. Out of service, of course.

CharlesR

"More stable allocation" is the word from Gloucester. We are now likely to see Tridents mainly stuck to schools with the odd trip on the 1. We're unlikely to see the Tridents on Forests as the "more stable allocation" aims to reduce Forest routes to just the non-Gold 400s.

It's a slow phase-in with most buses expected to be in service in due course. 18 of the 21 will be branded, and as previously mentioned the aim is to allocate the 3 not on service 10 onto service 97/98. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up on school routes or some forests though, however are unlikely to stray off route whilst only drivers on the "Gold" rota are type trained.

There is no news just yet on when the remaining Gold 400s (bar 4) will be leaving. There doesn't seem to be much of hurry to get rid of them.

Now that the first 3 of the new vehicles are in service, 15521/2 and 15841 are being prepped for transfer to Northampton for SMD, they will be leaving on Sunday.

curly42

A couple of pictures of the new Scanias on the 10 -

ValleyLines142

Established Member
One of the new yellow Scanias has just left Gloucester on the 98. Already off route!

Must confess, I'm a little disappointed that the current 10 branded Gold Scania E400s are being transferred elsewhere when Gloucester has a chronic shortage of double deckers for city work.

CharlesR

One of the new yellow Scanias has just left Gloucester on the 98. Already off route!

Must confess, I'm a little disappointed that the current 10 branded Gold Scania E400s are being transferred elsewhere when Gloucester has a chronic shortage of double deckers for city work.

Good luck waiting for deckers on city routes, that is the least of their worries at the moment.

I believe originally Gloucester believed that they were to be left with 9 extra deckers at the end of all the cascading and new arrivals. Instead, Gloucester will now be left with:

21x Scania 400 MMCs

9x Scania 400s (15638 - SF10 CCU, 15734 - VX61 FKH, 15735 - VX61 FKJ, 15763 - VX61 FKN, 15764 - VX61 FJU, 15856 - VX62 CZD, 15859 - VX62 CZT, 15877 - VX13 FLD, 15878 - VX13 FLE (possibility of +1 from Ross soon))

8x ALX400s

This will more than likely cause complications to allocation. The new vehicles are intended for use on the 10, with the unbranded ones on 97/98 duties. This leaves just 9 vehicles which are available for Forest/6/13/71 services, as tridents are not supposed to be sent on them anymore. It means we will likely see more single deckers on these routes as Stagecoach struggle to allocate.

The 8 tridents are intended for schools, however only 3 school or college cards are currently supposed to have tridents on, with the rest interworking with routes requiring Scanias. Tridents will likely be seen operating on the 6/13/71 rota.

cnjb8

Established Member
10 buses are reported to be transferring to Merseyside and North West regions. Not known is the split between the regions.
15521-26 are going to Midlands along with 15841-45, these will be split between Leamington and Northampton depots. Going to Cumbria & North Lancashire are 15846-49. Going to Merseyside & South Lancashire are 15850-55.

Marcus Fryer

37239/42/43 have transferred from Cheltenham to Patchway, but are still running with route branding for route D.

Last edited:

CharlesR

There will be various service changes from 31/08/2021, some of which include:

- Service 94/94X to run throughout the day, every 15 minutes each (M-S) and every 20 minutes each (Sun). This creates a more frequent service between Glos & Chelt and a faster service for those travelling directly to the two cities by the frequency of the 94X route. I believe during peak hours there will be a service from Gloucester to Cheltenham every 5 minutes.

- Service 94U will no longer run during the day, excluding certain hours. The advertisement will become to use 94/94X between Glos/Chelt and service N around Cheltenham. I am not 100% sure whether the service will continue to run in part (i.e Francis Close Hall - The Park) however as of present I believe that the route will become peak only.

- Service S2 to run every 2 hours connecting Cheltenham-Witney-Oxford, replacing service 853. This route will no longer be operated by Cheltenham depot, instead moving to Witney apart of the new Stagecoach West region.

Changes are also scheduled for:

- Gloucester services 2/2A, 8, 9, 10, 22/23, 60 and 97/98
- Cheltenham services B, C, D/E, N and H
- Most Stroud services
- Increase in Cirencester College services for most depots, including a new route for Cheltenham depot.

I expect that these will be released on the Stagecoach website in the next week or so.

DaveHarries

Established Member
- Service S2 to run every 2 hours connecting Cheltenham-Witney-Oxford, replacing service 853. This route will no longer be operated by Cheltenham depot, instead moving to Witney apart of the new Stagecoach West region.
Interesting. The S2 is currently Oxford - Eynsham - Witney - Carterton: I wonder if they will continue to include Carterton (which already has 4bph to / from Oxford) or drop Carterton from the S2 and increase the S1 in lieu. Only an hour Oxford to Carterton though so I guess they may well keep that bit of the S2. Good to have the link and I think the more frequent service is also a good call.

I am slightly surprised that Witney wasn't already doing the 853 as Witney would be the logical spot for driver changes on a route like that.

Dave

Last edited:

RELL6L

The 853 was run by an independent operator for years from the Cheltenham end and Stagecoach simply took it over from there, nothing to do with Witney. This proposal is clever as the running time from Carterton to Burford and then on to Cheltenham is just an hour so they can run a two hourly service with just one extra vehicle extending the S2. There will have to be some other changes though as the S2 and H2 interwork at Carterton. I suspect it will run via Carterton but perhaps not the present loop.