Network Rail's North of England Platform Extension Programme aimed to extend station platforms to accommodate the increased length of new rolling stock being introduced by the Northern and TPE TOCs.
Among the stations involved in the project were MetroCentre and Bredbury.
The second (current) station was designed by Charles Trubshaw, the Midland Railway's Chief Architect in 1892. These buildings still exist, but those designed by him in 1895 at Langley Mill station (formerly known as Langley Mill for Heanor and Langley Mill and Eastwood) on the Erewash Valley Line do not.
A number of two-platform stations have offset platforms on account of an adjacent road level crossing.
Two stations which have offset platforms but without the presence of a level crossing are Langley Mill and Langho.
Ramsgreave and Wilpshire is also a station on the Ribble Valley Line where a new site had to be found. This was due to the construction of houses which blocked access to all or part of the old station when the line was re opened in 1994.
Unlike Blackpool North station, Blackpool South station is unstaffed and only has basic amenities, namely a waiting shelter and bench seating. A touch screen ticket vending machine and timetable poster boards are available on the platform.
The station and the whole line between St Erth and St Ives was proposed for closure following the Beeching Report. Because of this, it was mentioned in the 1963 song "Slow Train" by Flanders and Swann. However, the line was reprieved and remains open; the same applies to Arram station on the Yorkshire Coast Line.