• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Names on Platform Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

The exile

Established Member
There was a time when platform lights incorporating the station name were a common sight - at least in certain areas. (I particularly associate them with the Kings Cross outer suburban area - but obviously they weren't confined to there!) There are clearly one or two survivors (like this one, assuming it's still there - and I came across two preserved as a "feature" at Braintree the other week), but when did they cease to be "common"? Does anyone know what the last "full survivor" was - and when? (ie - the last station to feature a full set as main platform lighting)

Cleethorpes.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Used to be seen across the whole country. It was perhaps moving to sectors from regions when they ceased to be fitted. My memory of Network SouthEast doing a wholesale replacement with red lampposts was when I started to notice that they were getting less and less on the routes I used on a regular basis.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
These mostly, perhaps totally, pre-date the corporate identity of the mid-60s. In the example above the typeface is Gill Sans, or something very similar, as used on the "sausage" nameboards. I can't think of any station lamps that had names on using the "Rail Alphabet" that came in at that time, though there may have been some and I suspect I'm about to be inundated with postings about them!

The exile

Established Member
These mostly, perhaps totally, pre-date the corporate identity of the mid-60s. In the example above the typeface is Gill Sans, or something very similar, as used on the "sausage" nameboards. I can't think of any station lamps that had names on using the "Rail Alphabet" that came in at that time, though there may have been some and I suspect I'm about to be inundated with postings about them!
I do remember some including lower case letters (so presumably Rail Alphabet) but no idea where. As with most things that were once common, you tend not to notice them until they are not there (however illogical that may sound).
I would imagine that their demise will also have had quite a lot to do with improvements in lighting technology - I'm sure I remember they were good at collecting water, which doesn't usually go very well with electricity

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There were some at Leeds pre-2001 rebuild with "LEEDS CITY" on them. I have some vague memory that one survived for a short time after the refurbishment, but that may be a false memory.

alistairlees

Established Member
I’m sure there were also illuminated running in boards at places like York that let off a lot of light (even if their primary purpose was not actually lighting).

Trackman

Established Member
There's still one at Manchester Oxford road, it says 'Oxford road' don't think it lights up though!

The exile

Established Member
I’m sure there were also illuminated running in boards at places like York that let off a lot of light (even if their primary purpose was not actually lighting).
From what I remember the old ones (Enamel in Regional colours - that went with the double sausage totems) were externally illuminated (sort of railway equivalent of anglepoise lamps on the top). I remember being struck (not literally) by the huge one at West Ruislip in about 1987.
Intercity introduced internally illuminated running in boards in the late 1980s, iirc. - guess there are plenty of them still around.

alistairlees

Established Member
From what I remember the old ones (Enamel in Regional colours - that went with the double sausage totems) were externally illuminated (sort of railway equivalent of anglepoise lamps on the top). I remember being struck (not literally) by the huge one at West Ruislip in about 1987.
Intercity introduced internally illuminated running in boards in the late 1980s, iirc. - guess there are plenty of them still around.
Yes I’m thinking of the internally illuminated white ones with black lettering. 1970s or 1980s

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The ones at Diss were being used as platform flower beds up until a few years ago.

We had them on the Southern Region as well.

Aictos

Established Member
Just to confirm that you are right in saying that the font Gills Sans was used as it was previously used by the LNER and then upon nationalisation was used by British Railways.

Rail Alphabet as a font wasn't used at all for the station lamps.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There were some very large internally illuminated running in boards with Rail Alphabet names, dating from sometime in the 70s I think, some on platforms and some on signalboxes. I think the West Coast Main Line had some but I wouldn't like to try to remember where.

The Intercity ones were later and smaller. Some of them were later re-branded after privatisation and there may still be a few around.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yep, pretty much all the former Intercity routes still have stations with the internally illuminated boards. Some, as at Coventry, still have the old Intercity Swallow logo (or remnants thereof) on one of the pillars:

1626793478217.png

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I always think the lit up InterCity running in boards look particularly modern.

CarltonA

I'm not sure it can be called a "full survivor" but Stratford Upon Avon has several of these lights. They have been retained after a recent refurbishment of the main building. I don't think they are on the island as this has old GWR style lanterns (not sure if those are repro' or original).

tom1649

The last time I was at Chester there were some 1960s survivors with the station name on. They were under the canopy on the disused bay platform next to platform 1.

I've definitely seen at least one at another station within the last 3 years. I remember being surprised to see it lit up!

Dstock7080

Established Member
until it was re-lit in the early-2000s EAST HAM still had one on the eastbound platform with green lettering, just beyond the passenger environment.

Ken H

On Moderation
the type in the OP's pic were everywhere. Think they were standard kit. There were ones on concrete posts, and ones on brackets affixed to awnings or platform buildings.
Some were obtusely set with the lamp at right angles to the platforms. Helpful for alighting passengers!
Pretty rubbish lights too, but probably as good as it was in the 60's. Probably a maintence liability, as they would need regular cleaning.
I assume the design was passed by the BR design panel.

Welby

Yes I have seen the ones at Chester, they look good in a bunch. Also the ones at Thorpe-Le-Soken. Back in the 70'd they had them at Folkestone Central and 2 of them on (the then) down-platform were blank, but you could clearly see Leeds City where they had not been cleaned.

MadMac

Glasgow Queen Street High Level had lower case.

Glossop Central had an illuminated platform sign (in the style of post no. 1) on brackets over the front entrance. I think it stayed in situ until somewhere around 2010.

Parallel

Established Member
There's still one at Manchester Oxford road, it says 'Oxford road' don't think it lights up though!
There is definitely one on Platform 4, and it still works/is maintained as I saw it on a couple of weeks ago - It hangs down where the lift is, if I remember correctly (towards the Piccadilly end of the platform). I can't remember if they are also by the lift on Platforms 3/2 as well though.

I think there are also some on the disused ends of the platforms on one of the North Wales Coast stations - Possibly Rhyl? Can't remember if they actually have the station name on them though.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There is definitely one on Platform 4, and it still works/is maintained as I saw it on a couple of weeks ago - It hangs down where the lift is, if I remember correctly (towards the Piccadilly end of the platform). I can't remember if they are also by the lift on Platforms 3/2 as well though.
Oxford Road being listed as an outstanding example of 60s station architecture may account for their survival here. Are there any at similarly protected stations like Coventry?

colchesterken

When the Liv st inner suburban was rebuilt in the 40s the station name was printed in the strip light lampshades and back lit by the strip light
dont know what happened to them, I emigrated up here

NorthBritish

Here's a couple of the Chester lightboxes - there is a long line of them running along the disused platform - a nice blast from the past and long may they remain!

Chester.jpg

Committee man

Chester has, I think 23 in total, all on the disused (to passenger trains) platform 1.
They all look well maintained, not seen them after dark so not sure if they all work but presumably they do.
There are 3 at Manchester Oxford Road, all attached to the lift shaft towers at the Piccadilly end of the platforms.
Chester lighting 1 - Copy.jpg
Chester lighting 2 - Copy.jpg
Man Ox Rd lighting - Copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.