• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Overbridge, Chester-Le-Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The foot overbridge at Chester Le Street was removed last weekend. It was in pretty poor condition underneath to be fair but at this time I am not sure wether it has been removed for repair and repaint or if it is being replaced. There is an alternative route around the station using the road underbridge at Avondale Terrace to the south of the station but bear in mind the distance although it is hilly and ramped it is easy access compared to the stairs that led up to the bridge.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I do think that the overbridge should be replaced/renovated. It is the most direct way & quickest to Platform 2 from the Town Centre. There are now 5 weekday commuter services using this platform to Newcastle. The alternative road route by the A1 is overloaded with the morning traffic sometimes tailed back miles to Chester-le- Street!!
I have found the bridge well used when returning from cricket. There is an international match on 29 June. Addditional well used services to/from Newcastle were laid on by Northern in 2018 & 2019 for these.
Is the western access from Station Approach using the foorbridge steps still open? This is an area of dense housing near to Platform 2.

Jonny

Established Member
I do think that the overbridge should be replaced/renovated. It is the most direct way & quickest to Platform 2 from the Town Centre. There are now 5 weekday commuter services using this platform to Newcastle. The alternative road route by the A1 is overloaded with the morning traffic sometimes tailed back miles to Chester-le- Street!!
I have found the bridge well used when returning from cricket. There is an international match on 29 June. Addditional well used services to/from Newcastle were laid on by Northern in 2018 & 2019 for these.
Is the western access from Station Approach using the foorbridge steps still open? This is an area of dense housing near to Platform 2.

I agree that it is very useful, and once I resume using trains regularly post-pandemic it will certainly be missed. It will also be awkward since the last time I checked (March 2020), the ticket machines were both on the southbound platform, so it is awkward for buying tickets (or getting a promise-to-pay slip) going north.

Good news.
I tweeted Network Rail who quickly replied that they are REFURBISHING the footbridge. It will reopen by 31/07/21.

DanNCL

Established Member
As a passenger who regularly uses Chester-le-Street station it’s been an inconvenience, but it isn’t that bad as there is another route that doesn’t involve too much extra walking. What I found more frustrating was that there was no prior notice to the public that this was happening, the first I knew of this was when I turned up at the station to find the bridge was suddenly no longer there!

I had wondered why the car park had been turned into a works compound a few weeks ago, now I know!

There appears to a be a series of these footbridge refurbishments happening in the north, the footbridges at Wigton and Prudhoe have both been removed for refurbishment and later reinstalled in the last few years.

The steps have gone too, the only access to platform 2 currently is the ramp.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
385FCE06-F194-42B6-9338-B6639138487F.jpegi posted this google image yesterday but for some reason the upload didnt attach to my post. You can see the diversion using the road underbridge to the south of the station

Status
Not open for further replies.