• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations in same price band

Status
Not open for further replies.

47296lastduff

Where non-local fares from station A and station B (on the same line) are the same, are the tickets valid back to either?.
Last year I booked at B, requesting a return ticket from A, as some return trains are non-stop through B. I was in fact given a ticket from B, so I asked for it to be re-issued as I had requested. The man in the ticket office was grumpy about this, saying "it's the same fare".
Does this mean that I could validly pass through B to A (with a return portion to B), and it would be accepted on the train or at the automatic barrier at A?
Just to clarify, I am talking only of terminating the return at A, not doubling back by train to B.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Where non-local fares from station A and station B (on the same line) are the same, are the tickets valid back to either?.
Last year I booked at B, requesting a return ticket from A, as some return trains are non-stop through B. I was in fact given a ticket from B, so I asked for it to be re-issued as I had requested. The man in the ticket office was grumpy about this, saying "it's the same fare".
Does this mean that I could validly pass through B to A (with a return portion to B), and it would be accepted on the train or at the automatic barrier at A?
Just to clarify, I am talking only of terminating the return at A, not doubling back by train to B.
You were right to ask for them to be amended. Even though the fare is the same, the ticket is not valid beyond the destination printed.

island

Veteran Member
Without you specifying what stations A and B are we can’t say with certainty, but in general, a ticket is not valid to travel beyond the destination printed on the ticket, regardless of whether it could have been issued to a further destination at the same fare. Some areas have local rules or practices which are more permissive; for example, Edinburgh and Haymarket tickets are treated interchangeably and a ticket to one will be accepted to the other.

Whether a ticket is “local” or not doesn’t bear a relevance to its validity.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Suppose I buy a return ticket from A to C, with the train travelling via B (the price from A and B being the same).
If on the return, I get off at B and finish my journey, is that allowed?
Had a feeling that folks who did this in some places were fined.

island

Veteran Member
Again, without knowing where A, B and C are I cannot give a definitive answer. However, in general, there are no restrictions on breaking or ending your journey early on the return part of a return ticket, so what you are saying would be allowed. It is also not generally a requirement that the fare be the same for this to be the case.

47296lastduff

Thanks for the replies. I had always thought that the printed destination does matter, and you have confirmed this for me.

father_jack

Thanks for the replies. I had always thought that the printed destination does matter, and you have confirmed this for me.
You get lots of that where there's a nearby suburban line. "Big city" main terminal to "big city" main terminal on intercity train is £xx, suburban station to suburban station via the main terminals is the same price but people will try make up their own rules. Montpelier to Earley is same price as Bristol TM to Reading or University to Meadowhall is the same price as Birmingham New St to Sheffield. It's the students who often try it on.

Taunton

Established Member
A station group curiosity I recall from old days on the SE suburban lines is tickets were printed for equivalent points (and thus fares). So a ticket from Barnehurst to London actually read from "Erith or Barnehurst or Bexley". When returning, if you were going to get a bus anyway onwards to the house, it was an advantage to take the first train regardless.

island

Veteran Member
A station group curiosity I recall from old days on the SE suburban lines is tickets were printed for equivalent points (and thus fares). So a ticket from Barnehurst to London actually read from "Erith or Barnehurst or Bexley". When returning, if you were going to get a bus anyway onwards to the house, it was an advantage to take the first train regardless.
And nowadays the same options are available on Oyster PAYG/contactless.

PeterC

Established Member
Not so useful on GE but I remember when travelling by train from Romford to Gidea Park that the tickets were printed "Gidea Park or Chadwell Heath".

Status
Not open for further replies.