• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations not officially closed but with no services stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Heathrow Terminal 4 hasn't had passenger trains since 9 May 2020

But only because the Terminal itself is closed. TfL Rail should be terminating there but are having to run empty from T2&3 and back again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Heathrow Terminal 4 hasn't had passenger trains since 9 May 2020
I assume, to be clear, that you are not including the Piccadilly line in that comment (if the terminal itself is open).

Western 52

Gilfach Fargoed currently has no trains, I think due to covid because it has very short platforms. Presumably it will reopen?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Are there some in the Stoke/Staffordshire/Midlands area that don't have passenger trains stopping, Wedgwood, Barlaston, Stone, Norton Bridge, Atherstone, Polesworth? Also Teesside Airport?, Reddish South & Denton?
Reddish south and Denton has a Saturday service once a week in the morning with service in each direction between stockport and stalybridge via guide Bridge

Parallel

Established Member
Gilfach Fargoed currently has no trains, I think due to covid because it has very short platforms. Presumably it will reopen?
Add Llanaber, Llanbedr, Llandanwg, Tygwyn, Abererch, Hopton Heath and Sugar Loaf too!

bluenoxid

Established Member
What would the opinion on Sampford Courtenay be? I don't know what the situation is in terms of its ownership and whether or not its been transferred to Network Rail as part of the Okehampton works, or being a privately owned station whether or not is was ever officially "open", but it did appear in the ORR statistics, and I don't believe any of the new Okehampton services will call there.

I guess the question is the service and whether Sampford Courtenay became established. The station opened in 2002, five years after the start of the Sunday services.

peteb

On the SVR no regular trains call at Erdington, but the station is still there, fully functional and lovingly maintained.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It didn't run on May 15th. The ticket office staff didn't even know that the service existed: quite baffled when I asked what had happened to the parlly

It resumed on Saturday 22nd of May. 15th was prior to timetable uplifts.

Journeyman

Established Member
On the SVR no regular trains call at Erdington, but the station is still there, fully functional and lovingly maintained.
How are stations on heritage railways regulated, though? I assume they can be opened and closed without any regulation or consultation.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How are stations on heritage railways regulated, though? I assume they can be opened and closed without any regulation or consultation.
Of course. Not really relevant at all to this type of thread about Railways Act 2005 issues.

Journeyman

Established Member
Of course. Not really relevant at all to this type of thread about Railways Act 2005 issues.
Exactly. Didn't think they were, given that there isn't a single heritage railway providing day-in, day-out public transport services.

mmh

Established Member
Exactly. Didn't think they were, given that there isn't a single heritage railway providing day-in, day-out public transport services.

The closest I could think of was the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch, which I knew used to run services timed for the high school at New Romney, but apparently that stopped in 2015 (but was genuine "public transport" as the county council funded it)

Journeyman

Established Member
The closest I could think of was the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch, which I knew used to run services timed for the high school at New Romney, but apparently that stopped in 2015 (but was genuine "public transport" as the county council funded it)
It wouldn't have been open to everyone on a turn-up-and-go basis, though, so again I doubt it would have been regulated in anything like the same way.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does Attercliffe R.D. and Brightside count in Sheffield? I think Brightside is shut though cos of Meadowhall station.
They were shut by 1995, and just like Weymouth Quay are most probably outside the scope of the original question and Wiki article which is about station closures that don’t appear to have followed the 2005 rules correctly.

Established Member
The station isn't closed, though. It is being served. And you can (though I doubt anyone does, as the bus is quicker) use it if you're not using the boat.
I travelled to Heysham Port a few weeks ago and can confirm that it was indeed possible. It was strange having the whole 3 car 158 to myself though. I also visited Reddish South and Denton the following week on a much busier train.

Styal had no services in the reduced timetable, but these have now resumed.

mrd269697

Any stations in Wales with short platforms. Llanfairpwll, Valley, Dolgarrog, Sugar Loaf, Abererch ect. Personally I think it’s dreadfully poor they are not being served, or offered any replacement bus service. The one door operation doesn’t affect any other TOC’s as far as I’m aware. And there’s been no notice of when trains will begin to stop at these stations again.

Status
Not open for further replies.