• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations rebranded to Great British Railways design / Rail Alphabet 2

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At Crewe this morning...

This sign off platform 11 looks like printed plastic rather than stuck on letters.

View attachment 108215
I noticed that sign a week or so back, too. And I've got to admit to being somewhat surprised by how cheap and flimsy it looked. With the station lights lit, it's possible to see the fence panel through the sign!

Attachments

• IMG_20211209_200954__01.jpg
    IMG_20211209_200954__01.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 184

Gareth

Established Member
Not enough double arrows. Each sign should have at least two... one red, one blue. (It'd also to serve as a reminder as to what colour the party in charge was that renationalised the railways.)

Also, some incidental mentions of GBR, and Great Britain, and just some general reminders of how GREAT everything is.

Plus Union Flags on the signage. Lots of them, on the running in boards and elsewhere. And flags flying at each and every entrance.

Except St Pancras, which can have blue and yellow arrows, lots of mentions of Eurostar and how "Euro" everything is and EU flags flying at each and every entrance. Just to draw attention to the international services, of course.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Except St Pancras, which can have blue and yellow arrows, lots of mentions of Eurostar and how "Euro" everything is and EU flags flying at each and every entrance. Just to draw attention to the international services, of course.
No, it'll be renamed GreatBritishstar. Or not. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Trainfan2019

I noticed that sign a week or so back, too. And I've got to admit to being somewhat surprised by how cheap and flimsy it looked. With the station lights lit, it's possible to see the fence panel through the sign!

I hadn't noticed about the fence through the sign! Here's me thinking it was the best 'new' sign in the whole station. Although it looks almost like original rail alphabet because it is big and bold.

I don't get why just odd signs are being renewed with no pattern. At Crewe for example, there's the new sign in the underground subway, a few around platform 1, 3 and 5 then the one I posted this morning off platform 11.

The one from this morning is easily missed by people although I saw it from platform 5. I would have thought the more prominent signs e.g large Crewe signs on every platform would be replaced first together then the other, less prominent signs like toilets etc on a random basis.

TheHovisKid

Lancaster has this relic from the first time around, blue arrows and all.
DknDNEpuTH4tzhksuZaMw4gkaGXcFZXyLkNvfwhZBNl7xxlycZ-K1NPN_BebCrh3YX3p0X6yRcRz7c4NTM8sOvr_xjIeVbiyOhadL0S8aAoVbLx4TnlrqvWf03XOf21KLlncxtvCdpqHZueNEyL5BGnWVap54zPXl1pndU2VQfF3Siz1ZC-xy0NKXVS_oxI5nW6uFMnDYlhQYepsU6eQNekwyI6OY1HrP1ZxVwYwA1Tp86JZFOF0o_lkhiJ3AOKdYugRQxXAEILERpEQzN5fkIUWGrZfNci5JzdKlGND_u0cRxA95Yn8DMILM952ZVvhpdOdLtRGh-jPoVHOAGPB4MFClYJJnlZYD230eo8CxvouJuWHDYDajEL-Ih84YUrVLpd_AjNZMc50zeXodl3cqwwSjMHHVnTrTWzZX_upYZM7HRS86FWR1p97JU7UKo6AAq0BonKBwtumO3U4yFAV20ds_S-bTE_2X62UyS5afargN2ri6hdpgeJ9VElrZ-C6yf1b7wIGFvE0KW33a3fONgSWq2th9z13DQIQyQZ0G3VcC7x1a4jn6AMTP6cLPvSUHgYgAFkzow50WBKqQZIRRPQbFi-ifDDvHw8HO2x3ktjDF13hJkyqoZCNB5iGurhjEJN3hcY5EHmXiSr1oVpFdhYxPKatjt_jGArWIg7Kc8Qhic0fPE1Cm8Mqk8gXWZul2A9O0UKRRnD3pz6-dYHTs1GrOA=w1310-h637-no

Pretty sure Warrington Bank Quay has some very similar on platforms 3 and 4

TheHovisKid

Grubby but simple and effective!! Guess it's one that got away
There's some other blue arrow signs, but they look much newer. Quite a few grey arrow ones as well, but I think that's the only "original" there. It's above the stairs from the footbridge so that may have helped it

BeijingDave

In which case every station needs to have "Station" added to its signs...

Not really.

The point stands that in the case of Euston Station 'Station' becomes a proper noun, while 'stations' generally are a common noun.

Same rule as 'government' (generally, a common noun), governments, become a proper noun when you refer to the current Conservative Government, or the 1997-2001 Labour Government, for example.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Not really.

The point stands that in the case of Euston Station 'Station' becomes a proper noun, while 'stations' generally are a common noun.

Same rule as 'government' (generally, a common noun), governments, become a proper noun when you refer to the current Conservative Government, or the 1997-2001 Labour Government, for example.
But the whole purpose of GBR is supposed to be in the interests of consistency, so if you’re not even going to be consistent with the signs on the station entrances, what is the point?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Not really.

And how is that different from any other station?

D6130

Established Member
I noticed on Saturday that Church Fenton has the new-style name boards, but still had the old-style direction signs with the thick blue arrows.

BeijingDave

And how is that different from any other station?

Clearly you misunderstand the difference between common and proper nouns.

'station' is a common noun. The sentence "I'm going to the station" has no capital letter because it is an unspecified station.

The sentence "I'm going to Bank Quay Station" (for example) requires a capital letter because it is a named station and therefore becomes a proper noun.

The sign is correct.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

'station' is a common noun. The sentence "I'm going to the station" has no capital letter because it is an unspecified station.

The sentence "I'm going to Bank Quay Station" (for example) requires a capital letter because it is a named station and therefore becomes a proper noun.

The sign is correct.

This is very poorly understood in the UK to be honest - a lot of people seem to write informal English looking very much like German, i.e. capitalising all nouns.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

The sign is correct.
I understood that before you explained it the first time. That doesn't explain why "Euston Station" is on signs there, but "Warrington Bank Quay" is on signs there.

The comment you replied to was not about whether "Station" needed to be capitalised, but whether it should be present at all.

Clearly, you misunderstood the point both they and I were making.

BeijingDave

Yep it its got the br logo it shouldnt need 'Station' plus it should be lower case 's' anyway

I was mostly replying to this.

Euston Station is probably necessarily specific so as to not direct pedestrians to the 'Euston' area.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was mostly replying to this.

Euston Station is probably necessarily specific because Euston is also an area of London.

Pretty much all stations are named after the area in which they are located. The British Rail logo signifies that it is a station.

Maybe it came about because whoever specced it was thinking about the London Underground convention, which is always* to suffix with STATION on the entrance signs?

* Obviously not BATTERSEA POWER STATION STATION, but all the others! :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok. Looks like that’s all cleared up then? :)
Hopefully this can move on in a polite and informative manner from here please.

urbophile

Established Member
"X Junction" as a whole is a common exception, as it typically (though not always) means "the junction where you change for X".
Though in the case of Clapham it wasn't really that. Clapham station on the South London line didn't have a direct link to the junction until the recent Overground takeover.

Recently the area around the station apears to have gained the name "Clapham Junction" !.
not that recently. Nell Dunn's Up the Junction was published in 1963.