• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with terminating services but no terminating platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Castleford (don't recall seeing it mentioned before)

I always thought platform 3 at Walsall was a through platform

Nah, it is a bay, but there is a loop line round the outside of it (electrfied to the end of the bay, pretty much (and pretty pointlessly!)

Platform 5 at Southampton isn't signalled for passenger use, trains only go in their to stable sometimes.

I mentioned Sutton earlier ;)

Going on the same theme, I am going to say Oxted, as the bay platform can't cater for terminating trains - a shunt is required before a train starts there. The trains that do terminate there do so in a through platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Castleford (don't recall seeing it mentioned before)

On a quick glance at start and end of today, I see there is one train that starts at CFD but I couldn't see any that terminate there. Have I missed one please?

scrapy

Established Member
Burnley Central services do not terminate there, they carry on through to Colne. The only time they terminate there is if there is a major delay on a train that will affect the service behind it :P

The 20.27 from Blackpool South terminates there every Sunday.

Condor7

Clitheroe
Both Wakefield Stations
Halifax
Ribblehead
Bidston
Liverpool S Parkway
Horsforth
Knaresborough
Sunderland
Hexham

To name a few...

To throw a spanner in the works, I notice you did not mention Harrogate, although someone else has.
Harrogate has a terminationg platform, but it has not been in use for passengers for a long time and there is a physical fence preventing anyone to get on if one did. Even if it was open it is in the wrong direction for the terminating services to use.

The same could be said for Kirkby Stephen who likewise have a fenced off terminating platform, and before anyone says it does not have a terminating service, it does in November/December when each year there is a scheduled Carlisle to Kirkby Stephen Thursday evening train.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Dover Priory has no bay platforms. I'm also pretty certain that platform 4 at Margate, with trains to/from St Pancras, is a bay platform?

Also in the south east Faversham and Gillingham.

Yeah plat 4 at Margate has buffer stops.. Next station along though,Broadstairs has terminating trains in the evening through the week.

Old-School

Wandsworth Road (10:20 from Kensington Olympia, A Parliamentary Train and the only train to terminate at WWR)

About the above Service
The 'permanent replacement bus' tactic was used from December 2008 between Ealing Broadway and Wandsworth Road when Cross Country Trains withdrew its services from Brighton to the North West, which was the only passenger service between Factory Junction, north of Wandsworth Road, and Latchmere Junction, on the West London Line. This service was later replaced by a single daily return train between Kensington Olympia and Wandsworth Road operated by Southern.

AFAIK unless it has changed but only 1 passenger used this service.

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Wandsworth Road (10:20 from Kensington Olympia, A Parliamentary Train and the only train to terminate at WWR)

About the above Service
The 'permanent replacement bus' tactic was used from December 2008 between Ealing Broadway and Wandsworth Road when Cross Country Trains withdrew its services from Brighton to the North West, which was the only passenger service between Factory Junction, north of Wandsworth Road, and Latchmere Junction, on the West London Line. This service was later replaced by a single daily return train between Kensington Olympia and Wandsworth Road operated by Southern.

AFAIK unless it has changed but only 1 passenger used this service.
Is there not still a bus from Ealing Broadway to somewhere?

David Goddard

Established Member
Saxmundham (until December) has been mentioned, there may be the odd short trip remain I suppose.

Staying in Suffolk, I dont think we have mentioned Bury St Edmunds, which sees one train per day start and terminate there.

Likewise, has anyone mentioned Ely?
There are a few London/Cambridge services starting or terminating there.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I see there is one train that starts at CFD but I couldn't see any that terminate there. Have I missed one please?

Once (when the Pacer I was on started emitting the wrong type of smoke).

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think Goole has been mentioned?

Poppleton

I don't think anything is planned to terminate at Poppleton. Its listed as a destination to prevent people boarding a York via Harrogate and spending much longer travelling than they intended by accident.

D6975

Established Member
Thanks, only been to Sheffield once and that was stuck on platform 8 for 10 mins, Bristol, I knew there had to be one somewhere, just couldn't think where. Leamington surprised me though, are they North facing at a guess?

Bristol actually has 3 dead end platforms.
Platform 1 - usually used for Severn Beach services, but big enough to take a 220.
Platform 2 - not used for passenger services at the moment, usually used for stabling.
Platform 13 - formerly a through line but now a dead end used for Padds.

Lrd

Established Member
Bristol actually has 3 dead end platforms.
Platform 1 - usually used for Severn Beach services, but big enough to take a 220.
Platform 2 - not used for passenger services at the moment, usually used for stabling.
Platform 13 - formerly a through line but now a dead end used for Padds.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.