• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stephenson Railway Museum Tyne & Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good evening, I may be going on a tour later this year which could include a visit to the Stephenson Railway Museum in Tyne & Wear. I have an A to Z map of that area which shows there is a stretch of line where they appear to run heritage trains sometimes and on the map this seems to be between Middle Engine Lane to Percy Main, with a proposed extention from Percy Main towards The Marina - Albert Edward Dock / Baltic Way. I was wondering if any one knows if that extention has now opened?

Thanks Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RyanOPlasty

A few weeks since I was last in the area, but I don't remember seeing anything south of the A187. I think it will be a while before trains will be running there.

tynesider

There was talk a little while ago (late 90s / early 00s) that the line would be extended from it's current terminus at Percy Main, round the south of the A187 towards Hayhole Road to connect to the Royal Quays shopping centre. I recall some local transport maps even had the new route shown.
It was never built and I don't believe there are any current plans to extend. Mind, the Royal Quays shopping centre is a depressing, windswept place these days. I mean, it was always a windswept place but at least there used to be some vague joy about it!

Of course, once the current Metro fleet is retired, it would be wonderful if the line was electrified with a Metro or two preserved there (The line was the original Metro test track for those who are not au-fait). Then again, Percy Main isn't the nicest part of Tyneside and I don't think an electrified preserved railway and some of the locals would be a good mix - Don't let that comment put you off visiting though!

And welcome to the area!

robkitchuk

Good evening, I may be going on a tour later this year which could include a visit to the Stephenson Railway Museum in Tyne & Wear. I have an A to Z map of that area which shows there is a stretch of line where they appear to run heritage trains sometimes and on the map this seems to be between Middle Engine Lane to Percy Main, with a proposed extention from Percy Main towards The Marina - Albert Edward Dock / Baltic Way. I was wondering if any one knows if that extention has now opened?

Thanks Steve.
Hi Steve,
The railway is currently two miles between Middle engine lane (the museum end) and Percy main (with connection to the Metro). There was plans for an extension in the past, this even involved laying the ballast and drainage. Plus the new platform at California sidings. However this has been abandoned (not sure as to why).
TWAM are currently refurbishing the museum.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for the replies above, shame it was not extended, but I am sure I will enjoy the museum and railway as it is. I did not know it was a test track for the Metro. I am looking forward to revisiting the North East, I try to get there about once a year if I can, there is always so much to do and see, both in the city, but further out into the Durham and Northumberland countryside too. I think we may also be visiting the Heatherslaw & Aln Valley Railways which I have not been to before and also the Tanfield which I have been too a couple of times.

trebor79

Established Member
Hi Steve,
The railway is currently two miles between Middle engine lane (the museum end) and Percy main (with connection to the Metro). There was plans for an extension in the past, this even involved laying the ballast and drainage. Plus the new platform at California sidings. However this has been abandoned (not sure as to why).
TWAM are currently refurbishing the museum.
I was a volunteer at the time. When the extension was abandoned, it looked for a time as though the whole railway and museum might close.
The reasons were shrouded in secrecy, but the view I formed was that the extension project ran out of money and consumed a lot of the general budget too, without ever being close to finished.
I believe this was because things like the Swedish B class, another 060 tank engine and 5 mark 2 carriages weren't in the original costing. It did become a bit of a vanity project for some.

The B class needed overhaul, and turned out to have significant asbestos contamination. Eventually it was sent to Glasgow for decontamination. Upon return it was dumped in the headshunt and no progress made on overhaul.
The tank engine had been "overhauled" prior to delivery. It became apparent that this involved merely a 10 year boiler ticket being signed. There was no floor in the smokebox, so we had to put one in. The main steam pipes needed to be replaced because they were leaking. There was a big patch in the firebox which weeped from day 1. After several caulking attempts the loco was out of service within 2 or 3 years.

I'm was always a bit suspicious as to whether it was just mismanagement or whether there was a degree of fraud. At one time there had been grandiose plans for a northern extension.

Original plan was to terminate at Royal Quays, but Esso wouldn't sell the strip of land needed, which is why you can see a platform in the middle of wasteland on Google earth.

For many years there was no run round loop at the new Percy Main station, so trains were top and tailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.