• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage to Cambridge on Saturdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
I’ve only just realised how poor the ‘service’ from Stevenage to Cambridge is on Saturdays. Two trains an hour, leaving five minutes apart :(

Worse, this makes for a very unreliable connection from the Leeds to Kings Cross service. I just had a six minute connection at SVG, and the LNER was 7 late, so I got to pass the first train to CBG halfway between Hitchin and SVG, and then see the second pull out just as we got to the platform. So I now get to sit at Stevenage for 55 minutes... The timetable wasn’t this bad before May 2018 - the 2tph were fairly evenly spaced - so add this to the list of things that have badly regressed.

Wouldn’t have gone this way if I’d realised how risky this connection was, with the backup not for almost an hour. Suppose I’ll get a few quid delay repay as a result at least...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hopefully the current situation isn't for ever and the second Brighton to Cambridge will start running on Saturdays once platform 5 is built at Stevenage.

However, unless some sort of dynamic loop is fitted between Stevenage and Cambridge, the need to run a fast, semi-fast and stopper over the line in each half hour means that the stopper has to follow the semi-fast.

It would be nice if Leeds trains didn't pick up delay between Leeds and Doncaster such that they run to Stevenage and London on time.

MikeWM

Established Member
Hopefully the current situation isn't for ever and the second Brighton to Cambridge will start running on Saturdays once platform 5 is built at Stevenage.

However, unless some sort of dynamic loop is fitted between Stevenage and Cambridge, the need to run a fast, semi-fast and stopper over the line in each half hour means that the stopper has to follow the semi-fast.

Indeed so - I've mentioned before that I think putting loops in at say Royston would have been very sensible if you're trying to push six an hour through. As it is, I've been on far too many fasts that get stuck behind a late-running stopper.

Without looking into any implications, I wonder if the rather random stopper that terminates at Royston on Saturdays, and the one that goes through to Cambridge, could be swapped around. That would improve the service at SVG (and RYS etc.) to avoid this rather silly bunching.

It would be nice if Leeds trains didn't pick up delay between Leeds and Doncaster such that they run to Stevenage and London on time.

Dunno what the problems here are generally; the specific problem last night was simply that the train was late leaving Leeds.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Without looking into any implications, I wonder if the rather random stopper that terminates at Royston on Saturdays, and the one that goes through to Cambridge, could be swapped around. That would improve the service at SVG (and RYS etc.) to avoid this rather silly bunching.

Problem with that idea is that you end up with the two slower departures from Cambridge running at the same time. I guess they have decided that it is better to space out the departures from Cambridge instead of the departures from Stevenage.

Failed Unit

Established Member
No idea why the 2nd stopper terminates at Royston. If there is no demand at the smaller stations send it to Cambridge.

on the plus side I tend to aim for it as it is quite.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
No idea why the 2nd stopper terminates at Royston. If there is no demand at the smaller stations send it to Cambridge.

on the plus side I tend to aim for it as it is quite.

Saves a unit and traincrew relative to running it to Cambridge for relatively few travellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.