• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stoke to Leek/Alton Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoogle

Hi all

I saw a thread some time ago about the Potential re opening of the Leek to Stoke line that closed some time ago

Anyone have any news on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daodao

Established Member
Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
I think that the proposal is now dead in the water following Staffordshire Moorlands District Council's refusal of planning permission for a new station at Leek in April 2016.

http://www.mcrailways.co.uk/news/5025/disappointing-planning-refusal.html

Thats not my understanding, I spoke to a number of staff when I was last visiting the railway and I was told that the planning permission was to build housing on the triange of land from Leekbrook Junction towards Leek, which the railway own, the money from which was to be use for the Leek extension, but it was that planning permission that was turned down and not the branch line to Leek, or at least thats what I was told?

daodao

Established Member
That's not my understanding. I spoke to a number of staff when I was last visiting the railway and I was told that the planning permission was to build housing on the triangle of land from Leekbrook Junction towards Leek, which the railway own, the money from which was to be use for the Leek extension, but it was that planning permission that was turned down and not the branch line to Leek, or at least that's what I was told?

Thanks for correcting my misinterpretation of the M&CR news item. However, without some means of funding it, the proposed extension to Leek remains "dead in the water". Therefore, refusal of planning permission for the housing development has effectively scuppered the scheme.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Thanks for correcting my misinterpretation of the M&CR news item. However, without some means of funding it, the proposed extension to Leek remains "dead in the water". Therefore, refusal of planning permission for the housing development has effectively scuppered the scheme.

Its such a shame, when the Moorlands and City materialised they had such great plans, with running to Caldon Lowe and down to Oakamoor, now both sections have been lifted. So much potential but no money, same old story I guess.

Calthrop

Established Member
Though if I understand rightly, it's been part of the "revivers' " strategy to sell the rails off the Kingsley & Froghall -- Oakamoor, and Ipstones -- Caldon Lowe, sections, to raise cash. Should things go favourably, they look at possible reinstating of those sections later on.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Its such a shame, when the Moorlands and City materialised they had such great plans, with running to Caldon Lowe and down to Oakamoor, now both sections have been lifted. So much potential but no money, same old story I guess.

Any fool can have a grand vision. Delivering it is the hard bit.

Cauldon Lowe to Ipstones was lifted and sold by MCR. Beyond Froghall to Oakamoor was lifted and sold by CVR to raise money to pay for the track between Leekbrook and Ipstones (owned by MCR) to be kept in situ rather than lifted. There is a common director between the two organisations. He is by trade a property developer.

The housing at Leekbrook was a non-starter given the very poor road access. Can't blame a developer for trying, but, really. The rail halt at Leekrook looked like a sop to the planners, whether it would have actually happened we will never know.

The second housing proposal near to the proposed terminus had, as far as I know, no relationship to the railway, financial or otherwise. Land was set aside in that second proposal for a rail halt / station but, again, whether it would actually happen is another point.

Personally I find the section of walkway from Leek to Leekbrook rather more useful as a walkway than I would if it were closed and returned to railway use. I saw no proposals for shared use.

See these threads:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=129407
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=115957
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110026

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Though if I understand rightly, it's been part of the "revivers' " strategy to sell the rails off the Kingsley & Froghall -- Oakamoor, and Ipstones -- Caldon Lowe, sections, to raise cash. Should things go favourably, they look at possible reinstating of those sections later on.

Yes that was my understanding and to be fair the trackbed was in very poor condition in both directions, I`ve walked the Caldon Lowe line from Ipstones and it really is bad in places. The long term plan is to reinstate the trackbed, but I suspect without a significant cash injection, it could be very many years away. The potential is there, but the money isnt.

Calthrop

Established Member
Yes that was my understanding and to be fair the trackbed was in very poor condition in both directions, I`ve walked the Caldon Lowe line from Ipstones and it really is bad in places. The long term plan is to reinstate the trackbed, but I suspect without a significant cash injection, it could be very many years away. The potential is there, but the money isnt.

There was a weekend gala in autumn 2010 (impression got, at the zenith of Moorlands & City Railways' hopes and ambitions), involving mixed steam and diesel traction both Leekbrook to Caldon Lowe; and to Kingsley & Froghall (sadly not Oakamoor), which I attended. Had the good luck then, to travel through to Caldon Lowe and return.

All this could make a magnificent small system, with potential maybe for actual commercial use as well as just "entertainment": a great pity that the practicalities of things look to be very much against that coming to pass.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
What happened to volunteers doing the work, like 'the deviationists' who built a whole section of new line, including a tunnel, on The Ffestiniog? As featured on TV last Thursday.

A few sleepers each weekend by hand, or a whole track panel if you have a crane, and they would be well on the way to Leek town by now. You could even re-use (temporarily borrow) the track from the Leekbrook to Endon to Stoke section.

Status
Not open for further replies.