• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmont (near Stonehaven) derailment - 12 August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesC357

Those pictures of the carriages piled up gave me a chill...

What a horrible thing to happen, I join everyone else in sending my thoughts to all those involved in this accident, and their loved ones

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Speed43125

What object are those coaches resting on? Either way, it looks very bad. My thoughts are with those involved.
The colour looks remarkably similar to the gray that the Scotrail HST sets are painted, but surely that could not be another Mk3.

jonnyfan

Absolutely shocking images...I can only imagine the horrific events that occurred to result in such a devastating result. My thoughts are with those involved onboard the train and the heroics of the emergency services having to deal with such awful circumstances

najaB

Veteran Member
Well, it was returning from whence it came. Only needs to be 'wrong road' as far as the first crossover.
Indeed. I just wasn't sure if it had made it as far as the crossover at Carmont or if the blockage stopped it reaching that far.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Nigel Harris has just done a terrible interview on R5 Live.
The line wasn't good, and all he did was compound the confusion using rail-speak.
He mentioned one fatality but that was immediately challenged by the interviewer as unconfirmed.

Edit:
Tony Miles has now followed up with an interview on R4, a much more coherent story without casualty speculation.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Those pictures of the carriages piled up gave me a chill...

What a horrible thing to happen, I join everyone else in sending my thoughts to all those involved in this accident, and their loved ones
Agreed. If I believed in such things, I'd be wondering if the forum had tempted fate with the recent thread about being "overdue" an accident. In reality it just goes to show that you never know what nature will throw at us.

Thoughts and sympathy with all involved in the incident and the ongoing rescue/recovery operation.

Parallel

Established Member
Thoughts with the passengers, crew and the families and friends of those involved in this serious incident.

GrandCentral

From the looks of those photos the MK3 coaches appear to have remained mostly intact and not crumpled or split. That's a very very very small positive. Absolutely terrible situation though, truly awful.

Speed43125

From the looks of those photos the MK3 coaches appear to have remained mostly intact and not crumpled or split. That's a very very very small positive. Absolutely terrible situation though, truly awful.
I'm afraid the image seems to show an upside down and rightside up coach both seemingly resting on a completely demolished coach with everything from the windows and up gone. you can see it says the carriage number in the middle.

DimTim

One has to question what speed the train was travelling for the coaches to arrive in those positions.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Terrible news. This will be more negativity for the railway. Thankfully it was a HST with few passengers on.

najaB

Veteran Member
One has to question what speed the train was travelling for the coaches to arrive in those positions.
I was wondering the same. Apparently the train was travelling right line so 75mph would have been permitted.

102 fan

I was wondering that. Surely if going back because of a line closed, it would be at reduced speed. Also, the picture shows the coaches on a line, are they not saying it fell down an embankment?

Dren Ahmeti

Not very fast at all. The driver would've been accelerating from the 15mph crossover, to the line speed of 75mph.
In just under a mile, I doubt even the 2+4 would have enough acceleration to be going at a very fast speed at the point.

Rob_76

Terrible news. This will be more negativity for the railway. Thankfully it was a HST with few passengers on.

If it was a landslip due to the extraordinary rainfall in that area last night, I think a lot of people would accept that was a totally unforeseen circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.