• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmont (near Stonehaven) derailment - 12 August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
More likely what on earth did it hit. I doubt it was speeding, or even going line speed considering the reason why it was going back.
Why shouldn't a train run at line speed on a seemingly unblocked line running right line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was wondering that. Surely if going back because of a line closed, it would be at reduced speed. Also, the picture shows the coaches on a line, are they not saying it fell down an embankment?

I think that was misreported based on the power car being down the embankment. A "carriage" was also reported as being on fire, but that seems to have been a power car.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If it was a landslip due to the extraordinary rainfall in that area last night, I think a lot of people would accept that was a totally unforeseen circumstance.

In essence it's near enough the same as that incident that befell a LNR 350, but with the worst outcome rather than the best one. Again completely unanticipated - the land in that case slipped very close to the time the train hit it.

spark001uk

Established Member
BBC news at one saying 3 of the 4 passenger coaches left the track and went down an embankment. Which is absolutely not what photos are showing, so they got that wrong.

507 001

Established Member
I was wondering that. Surely if going back because of a line closed, it would be at reduced speed. Also, the picture shows the coaches on a line, are they not saying it fell down an embankment?

The power car appears to be very much down an embankment...

Darandio

Established Member
I think that was misreported based on the power car being down the embankment. A "carriage" was also reported as being on fire, but that seems to have been a power car.

One outlet is now reporting one coach being submerged with occupants unaccounted for. It's hard to get a grasp on anything at the moment.

Wolfie

Established Member
Daily Mirror take, sounds sensationalist...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-train-derails-after-falling-22508782
At least one person is feared dead and others suffered "serious injuries" after a horror train derailment in Scotland.#
A huge emergency services operation was launched after the train plummeted down an embankment, with thick smoke seen billowing from the crash site.

More than 30 emergency vehicles and an air ambulance are at the scene in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, after the smash, which happened shortly before 9.45am.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenW390Fan

The BBC reporting the train consisted of "one locomotive and four carriages". :rolleyes:
One locomotive, four coaches, another locomotive. Top and tailed is what they call it, but people still call 43's multiple units..! Going off topic, as I said thoughts are with the people involved, seeing those images are horrible

palmersears

Established Member

Jovian98

The Scotsman now say that the driver has died:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/trans...otrail-train-derailment-aberdeenshire-2939946
Industry sources told The Scotsman the driver had died and there were fears of a second fatality.
The incident happened after the Inter7City train from Aberdeen had turned back after encountering a landslide, and then reportedly hit another one.

edit: note - the article has since been revised to remove reference to the driver:

Industry sources confirmed the death to The Scotsman and said there were fears of a second fatality.

Last edited:

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I was in total shock when I saw this derailment reported - I found out when Boris tweeted he was deeply saddened by the serious incident in Aberdeenshire. When I learnt what it was I was in total shock - still am!

My thoughts go out to Scotrail, the staff, driver, passengers and the families and friends affected.

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Quick Summary on the formation:
Set HA22 Delivered to ScotRail in May 2019
(North End) 43140 came to rest at bottom of Embankment
Mk3 coaches: 40622 + 42007 + 42564 + 42145
43030 (South End)

p.d87

What horrible and sad news. As railway staff myself this brings me deep sadness. Thoughts and prayers go to all staff, passengers and their families at this time and also to the rescue teams for their efforts. Those pictures are horrifiying and i can't begin to imagine how everyone on board must have felt at the time. Very sad day for our railway family.

spark001uk

Established Member
(North End) 43140
43030 (South End) came to rest at bottom of Embankment
Does this set have manual or power doors?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
What horrible and sad news. As railway staff myself this brings me deep sadness. Thoughts and prayers go to all staff, passengers and their families at this time and also to the rescue teams for their efforts. Those pictures are horrifiying and i can't begin to imagine how everyone on board must have felt at the time. Very sad day for our railway family.
As railway staff as well, I completely agree with you. The moment I saw those mk3 coaches, my heart sank.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Dear All,

A quick request to think before you post considering that this is an active incident, there are casualties and that this thread has caught the media eye. I don't want to restrict what you post unless necessary but please do think about what your posting, who may read it and what that may mean to those who read outside of this Forum.

A further a plea not to jump to conclusions regarding what is or is not being done by the moderation team. This is an extraordinarily busy thread (at the time of writing there are 2,242 people reading this thread including over 900 members). I'm posting right now in a break from my day job and my fellow Staff members are in a similar boat. We are reacting as quickly as possible. But your forbearance would be appreciated. Thank to those that have reported problem posts it is a huge help to us in this situation.

Many thanks,
ainsworth74

8J

(North End) 43140
43030 (South End) came to rest at bottom of Embankment

The photograph posted on here quoted from Twitter clearly shows 43030 on the road. The set was heading back North. 43140 is the one that has come off the road.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I never expected when I joined the industry just how much these incidents would affect me and colleagues. Its a big industry so you assume you are always buffered but it's not the case.

An incredibly sad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.