• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopped by Ticket Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Thanks for update Tomsik - good luck with this. When you get the letter feel free to come back here for help with the possible reply you will need to send. You will have to pay a sum, but there is a fair chance of avoiding court. I am sure there are many people who appreciate your volunteering efforts.
A couple of things to add for Tomsik.
First, don't be offended by people challenging your story - we may sound suspicious, but it will help you present your story clearly.
Second, a criminal record for travelling without a ticket or even for evading your fare will not stop your voluntary work: only the second of these will show up on an enhanced DBS check, and any organisation (voluntary or not) will then carry out a risk assessment - and I can't see that you would pose a risk as a swim judge or sandwich maker :)

Haywain

Veteran Member
Though in this case as I have posted before: an apology, promise not to do it again and a request to settle may well be all that is needed, or all that is worth doing.
This is what will be needed, the case handlers will have seen every excuse under the sun (plausible or otherwise).

Tomsik

Hi ,

Many thanks for your all comments and suggestions, I haven't received the letter yet.
Thanks

Stigy

Established Member
Nothing new I'm afraid.

Before barriers were installed (and after the gates has stopped being used) at Waterloo and the platforms were open access, the ticket office staff knew when there was a revenue block on as the number of people turning up and buying a 'single to Vauxhall' went through the roof. Platform ticket sales were then suspended as well.
Indeed. We carried out operations at Waterloo when the barriers were first installed alongside revenue staff (2009 ish?) primarily to detect those buying the cheapest ticket possible to get through the barriers. The amount of people reported were literally hundreds per week.

In this case, as soon as the person said to any RPI “I got a call just before Clapham junction to go to New Haw”, that would have raised eyebrows. For starters, Byfleet isn’t exactly an industrial hub for business, but does strangely attract a lot of fare evasion because (surprise surprise, it’s minutes from Woking and West Byfleet, both of which have ticket barriers (I think West Byfleet does now too?). New Haw is also home to a few big warehouses.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi ,

Many thanks for your all comments and suggestions, I haven't received the letter yet.
Thanks
They can potentially take up to 6 months but would not usually be that long. You may need to wait longer. Did you give them your correct address? I assume you have not moved house (if you do, you need to get your post redirected by Royal Mail or you may be taken to court without knowing it and that will result in a court guilty record and a lot more problems for you to sort out).

Status
Not open for further replies.