• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopping for Staffing Reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaldicotHalt

I have seen this in RTT when a train stops at a station especially on heritage trains. Is this to change drivers?
Also are drivers able to swap when on the move?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
When Virgin did their non stop Glasgow for Euston run they had two drivers, one actually driving and the other spare.

The plan was to swap half way (on the move) but in the end the original driver worked through.

You’d have to be quick to keep the DSD down or judge it just after the last alert alarm perhaps.

Definitely was the plan to swap though, the whole idea was a record run non stop.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
There was crew changes on the move with Tornado from Kings Cross - Edinburgh on some sort of express or record run railtour was there not?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Does Torando have a corridor tender? I would of thought they’d need a few water stops as well, I don’t think it can couple to Tyseleys water carrier?

4F89

Of course you can switch seats on the move. Driver leaving goes forwards out of the way, driver coming in slides into the seat. For a brief moment, they are joined, at one with each other. It's a beautiful thing.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I have seen this in RTT when a train stops at a station especially on heritage trains. Is this to change drivers?
On Railtours this is primarily show for picking up the stewards/chefs/waiters etc. It can be shown if a route conductor is being picked up, although 'C' Crew Stop is more usual. It is also shown, rarely, if a driver or guard is riding passenger and gets dropped off en-route (although 'OP' Stops for other operating reasons is also shown for this).
There was crew changes on the move with Tornado from Kings Cross - Edinburgh on some sort of express or record run railtour was there not?
If there was then the relief crew would have already been on the footplate
Does Torando have a corridor tender? I would of thought they’d need a few water stops as well, I don’t think it can couple to Tyseleys water carrier?
Tornado does not have a corridor tender, I'm pretty sure. Tornado can carry more water than 'heritage' engines, but it can only go 100 miles or so between stops (rather than 80). I'm not sure how Tyseley's water carrier is connected to any tender, but if it did run with Tornado it would need to be marshalled immediately behind the engine (for obvious reasons) and as the water carrier is not accessible when moving then the issue of the corridor tender would be moot.

DavidCarbonis

On Railtours this is primarily show for picking up the stewards/chefs/waiters etc. It can be shown if a route conductor is being picked up, although 'C' Crew Stop is more usual. It is also shown, rarely, if a driver or guard is riding passenger and gets dropped off en-route (although 'OP' Stops for other operating reasons is also shown for this).

If there was then the relief crew would have already been on the footplate

Tornado does not have a corridor tender, I'm pretty sure. Tornado can carry more water than 'heritage' engines, but it can only go 100 miles or so between stops (rather than 80). I'm not sure how Tyseley's water carrier is connected to any tender, but if it did run with Tornado it would need to be marshalled immediately behind the engine (for obvious reasons) and as the water carrier is not accessible when moving then the issue of the corridor tender would be moot.
There wasn't a relief crew - the changes were done at water stops.

You are correct that Tornado lacks a corridor tender and it does have a larger water capacity than the original A1s - the removal of the water scoop and reduction of coal capacity from 9 to 7.5 tons allowed the water capacity to be increased from 5,000 to 6,200 gallon (a practical range of about 110 miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.