• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford Depot's livery additions/modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
I've read in a few places that Stratford Depot used to be famous for their love of adding their own modifications, adaptations or interpretations of BR liveries on their diesels. Aside from adding union flags and painting roofs white, what else did they do?

I've only ever seen examples of their 'custom' liveries on class 47s. Did they do that sort of thing to other classes too, and if so do photos exist? I did do a search for 'stratford depot class 37' but it didn't bring anything out of the ordinary.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pit_buzzer

They were quite fond of adding double arrows and rail alphabet numbers to locos in green with full yellow ends livery. Black and white photos led people to believe that there were class 15s in standard blue but they were just well presented green licos

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Not just diesels - the had the GE Blue J69 (?) pilot at Liverpool Str in the late 50s up to about 61.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've read in a few places that Stratford Depot used to be famous for their love of adding their own modifications, adaptations or interpretations of BR liveries on their diesels. Aside from adding union flags and painting roofs white, what else did they do?

I've only ever seen examples of their 'custom' liveries on class 47s. Did they do that sort of thing to other classes too, and if so do photos exist? I did do a search for 'stratford depot class 37' but it didn't bring anything out of the ordinary.

Cheers!
The thing I always remember is their treatment of 47s with light grey roofs - so synonymous with the depot it's often referred to a Stratford grey roofs.

They also had their own depot emblem applied to locos but other depots did that as well so perhaps not exactly a unique attribute of the depot

randyrippley

Established Member
The thing I always remember is their treatment of 47s with light grey roofs - so synonymous with the depot it's often referred to a Stratford grey roofs.

They also had their own depot emblem applied to locos but other depots did that as well so perhaps not exactly a unique attribute of the depot
Bit more to it than that - I've seen them white, pale grey, and aluminium "silver"-effect

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Bit more to it than that - I've seen them white, pale grey, and aluminium "silver"-effect
The original was described as 'silver' two locos being treated along with Union Jack emblems for HM's Jubilee in 1977. This was against official policy but proved so popular the roof colour was extended to all/most of Stratford's 47s.

I always assumed they were all the same paint but weathering and cameras of the time just made the shades appear different but perhaps there was actual variation in the paint colour?

randyrippley

Established Member
The original was described as 'silver' two locos being treated along with Union Jack emblems for HM's Jubilee in 1977. This was against official policy but proved so popular the roof colour was extended to all/most of Stratford's 47s.

I always assumed they were all the same paint but weathering and cameras of the time just made the shades appear different but perhaps there was actual variation in the paint colour?
I'm certain there was variation.
Even with a lot of fading you could never mix up white for silver, especially on a clean loco

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm certain there was variation.
Even with a lot of fading you could never mix up white for silver, especially on a clean loco
I had a gander on Flickr and there is definitely an apparent variation in the colour, tbh they all look whitish grey to me, I don't really see any silver ones

randyrippley

Established Member
I had a gander on Flickr and there is definitely an apparent variation in the colour, tbh they all look whitish grey to me, I don't really see any silver ones
Forget the photos. I've seen silver roofed examples.
FWIW this diary of Stratford depot calls them silver

A notable year, some for the wrong reasons and some for the right. In June Stratford got brave and started painting loco roofs with silver paint on the home fleet, setting up a difference of opinion with Crewe Works that would last for nearly ten years.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Forget the photos. I've seen silver roofed examples.
FWIW this diary of Stratford depot calls them silver

Fair enough, this photo on Flickr is of one of the original two so treated. The caption describes the roof as silver but it looks light whitish grey to me -

That's my opinion anyway, some might call it silver

randyrippley

Established Member
Fair enough, this photo on Flickr is of one of the original two so treated. The caption describes the roof as silver but it looks light whitish grey to me -

That's my opinion anyway, some might call it silver
Thats aluminium paint - as used for protective metal priming / undercoat
In the real world its shiney silver

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Stratford also painted a few of their 31/0s with silver roofs. There were quite a few 47s with it in the end and they ended up being spread far and wide as first off their steam heat 47/0s lost passenger work followed by the same thing happening to the 47/4s a few years later.
The Stratford cockney sparrow was definitely one of the earlier depot motifs but I’m not sure when they first started doing it?

John Webb

Established Member
Not just diesels - the had the GE Blue J69 (?) pilot at Liverpool Str in the late 50s up to about 61.
There were two steam station pilots at Liverpool Street Station. The J69/1 was 68619 done out in GE livery and was quite a sight. Three of us in the Fourth year (around 1960/61) at a school near New Cross Gate station used to go and eat our sandwiches on the platform and trainspot. One day we nearly fell off the platform when this loco came through from Liverpool Street on the Metropolitan Line with a short train of half-a-dozen goods vans. No cameras then, of course, to capture the unusual vision!
A view of it from 1948 (click on picture to go to the larger original):
Resplendent J69 0-6-0T on Station Pilot at Liverpool Street

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The other was:
Resplendent Station Pilot at Liverpool Street Station

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

AM9

Veteran Member
There were two steam station pilots at Liverpool Street Station. The J69/1 was 68619 done out in GE livery and was quite a sight. Three of us in the Fourth year (around 1960/61) at a school near New Cross Gate station used to go and eat our sandwiches on the platform and trainspot. One day we nearly fell off the platform when this loco came through from Liverpool Street on the Metropolitan Line with a short train of half-a-dozen goods vans. No cameras then, of course, to capture the unusual vision!
A view of it from 1948 (click on picture to go to the larger original):
Resplendent J69 0-6-0T on Station Pilot at Liverpool Street

The other was:
Resplendent Station Pilot at Liverpool Street Station

It's such a shame that there weren't many pictures in colour then, - they must have looked fantastic in royal blue!

PeterC

Established Member
Were the full height double arrows a Stratford initiative? I can only recall seeing them on the GEML but, apart from commuting into Liverpool Street, I was making little use of rail at that time.

randyrippley

Established Member
There's a colour photo of one of the J69 in one of the old "Observers Book of Locomotives"
1964 edition from memory

AJM580

47583 had a special livery for Royal wedding in 1981, full height logo, plus red white and blue stripes along bodyside

Status
Not open for further replies.