• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strava

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
Are there any Strava users on the forum? If so would you be happy to join a RUK club for mutual encouragement?

Update - link in thread below

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
As a cyclist I use Strava. I don't know how common it is among other forum users but as occasional forum meets include cycling on old railway routes this particular activity is not uncommon, which may correlate into other Strava users here.

Jimini

Established Member
I’m a Garmin kinda guy but sync with Strava too, so would be up for that

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I would certainly be interested in joining a group. I enjoy using Strava to track my activities. It is very satisfying to look back on my route when I get home at the end of a long jog or cycle. I never would have thought anyone else on this forum used Strava so it would be great to connect with others that do.

telstarbox

Established Member
I would certainly be interested in joining a group. I enjoy using Strava to track my activities. It is very satisfying to look back on my route when I get home at the end of a long jog or cycle. I never would have thought anyone else on this forum used Strava so it would be great to connect with others that do.
Yes, it's great to see where you have been on a map!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Anything in particular that you found annoying? I find the app relatively straightforward to use.

It gets on my nerves because every time I do something it seems to want me to share it, and its default privacy settings are to show everything I do on a public timeline. I dislike this because I don't believe where I live, or where I go for exercise, need be a matter of public record.

Essentially it encourages a culture of everyone else having to be told about everything someone does. I'm aware that many people like that, which is fine, but I don't, so I switched to a different app.

scotrail158713

Established Member
It gets on my nerves because every time I do something it seems to want me to share it, and its default privacy settings are to show everything I do on a public timeline. I dislike this because I don't believe where I live, or where I go for exercise, need be a matter of public record.

Essentially it encourages a culture of everyone else having to be told about everything someone does. I'm aware that many people like that, which is fine, but I don't, so I switched to a different app.
By the sounds of it you might be better looking at sites such as MapMyRun. I don’t use Strava for similar reasons to the ones you have, and when I thought about it the only advantage it had was the ability to store times from previous runs/cycles/whatever other exercise.
I therefore went onto another website, similar to MapMyRun, and can calculate on that the distance of my exercise. I’ve then got a notebook to note down times (I time on my watch) and distances - it’s become my own offline Strava. It’s not for everyone, however I don’t like exercising whilst carrying around lots, so it works perfectly for me.

JohnMcL7

I do use Strava although I'm not sure how useful a national group is since I primarily use it to see what local friends are doing so see if there's any interesting routes to give a try myself. That said I've been using it a lot less now they've removed most of the features for the free version to see how it goes since there's little value to Strava if few people are using it, Garmin connect works fine for logging ride metrics.

telstarbox

Established Member
Although I don't trouble any of the leaderboards at my pace, I've recently upgraded to the paid version so I can keep using the route planner and training log page, which are both very useful. I see it as less than the cost of a pint per month.

JohnMcL7

It's not the amount I need to pay myself that's the issue but whether other people keep using Strava, I've seen a drop already in friends using Strava and possibly more once the two free premium months expires. The ride analysis and route planning from Garmin works fine for me so the value of Strava is sharing rides with others and being able to compare times on segments with friends. I've never had anything against Strava as I think it's a tool you use as you want but I am finding not being able to check my segment times in detail is maybe not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I used to religiously use Strava, but banished it a couple of months ago. I exclusively use Map My Ride instead now.

Challenges and segments on Strava really brought out my competitive side, and that's fine if it's under control. Mine wasn't though, and I can be less than fun when in full-blown competitive mode. I only wanted an app to log my rides with a map, the only essential data I needed was the distance and a map showing me where I'd been.

I get that just fine with Map My Ride, which also seems to record mileage better than Strava. I don't get those infuriating GPS spikes on Map My Ride, Strava was awful for that.

If I didn't need a map for referencing at a future date, or for bragging rights, then I'd go get a cycling computer and use that to measure distance instead. The maps are way too useful though!

gallafent

I still have a Strava account, but now record using Wahoo instead, since Strava removed the ability to sync with my Bluetooth HRM! I still share the my runs / rides using Strava though, since I have a bunch of old friends there!

For those that are interested, their announcement is here:

As of October 28th, 2019, Bluetooth and ANT+ sensors will no longer pair directly with the Strava phone app. This means that, for example, if you record activities using the Strava phone app, you will not be able to record your heart rate or other Bluetooth sensor data. Supporting Bluetooth devices was causing the app to crash during recording, whether or not a sensor was connected. Disabling this feature significantly improves recording stability for all athletes.
While this update will reduce crashes for millions of athletes, we understand that it will be disappointing for the athletes who do use the feature. Here’s how to record activities with BTLE sensors going forward:
  • Strava Mobile App: Download and record your activities using Wahoo Fitness.
  • Strava Wearable apps for Apple Watch, Samsung Galaxy/Gear and WearOS devices: Continue recording normally.
  • GPS watches and cycling computers (Garmin, Wahoo, Polar, etc.): Continue recording normally.
Learn more about analyzing your performance with heart rate data.

Here's a sample support ticket (not mine!) that talks about the issue, and sums up my views really:

I loved using the Strava app. Today, I enjoy it much less, because the decision to remove sensor data tracking from runs has made the service significantly lower value since fall of 2019.
The rationale given on support forums for removing Bluetooth / ANT+ device pairing was to improve stability - Strava says they removed the feature because it was causing the app to crash.
But why not fix the crashes / bugs in your own app, instead of removing the feature for paid users? Why would an athlete-centered service remove the ability to add sensor data to runs? It makes no sense - it's all downside, no upside for athletes, the product, or the company.
The workaround is apparently to sync this data into Strava through 3rd party apps - is your product solution really to have people use 2 apps during a workout, and ask people to sync the data? I setup the automatic integration, and it works poorly as expected - now my heart rate sensor data can't be tied to my run data.
Bring back the Bluetooth / ANT+ device integration directly in the app, and fix your bugs to reduce the crash rate - no other solution makes any sense.

If they brought back that function, I'd probably drop Wahoo and switch back (and buy a subscription!) …

telstarbox

Established Member
Just a reminder that if anyone's planning to do more exercise in 2022 and wants a bit of support, you can join the RailUK group in Strava as above!

Status
Not open for further replies.