• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggestions for a day out from Leeds using Northern trains only

Status
Not open for further replies.

The DJ

Have just received a Complimentary Travel Pass from Northern for one return journey.
I am a non-drinker so not interested in pubs and have no particular interest in historical buildings/monuments.
I do have this odd interest in exploring previously unvisited shopping malls which takes York out of the equation as it has no shopping mall as far as I am aware.
Wrong time of year for Blackpool.
I want somewhere far from Leeds served by reasonably fast Northern services but returning the same day as my budget is not up for overnight accommodation.
I did rather fancy a ride on a Class 333 but as far as I can tell, these operate only within Yorkshire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
Leeds - Skipton on a 333, then up to Carlisle. has a shopping mall. 1/2 mile from the station. Nice little cathedral too.

DannyMich2018

When does your pass expire? I'd personally wait a few weeks to get more daylight as it's not the most scenic travelling in the dark by train. Weekends can be horrendously busy (up until the last few days anyway due to Omicron keeping some away) plus engineering work at weekends.
Nottingham, plenty of shops and good market. Pleasant canal side walk to Castle Marina where there is a big Sainsbury's and a retail park.
Lincoln is pleasant too with nice scenery and reasonable shops.
Liverpool is good and definitely recommended plus you've got the Merseyrail network there to explore and great shopping at Liverpool!
I'm sure others here will have good suggestions.

ChrisC

Established Member
If you go to Nottingham you will be able to walk through the remains of the Broad Marsh Shopping Centre to reach the City Centre. The Broad Marsh Centre was in the process of being rebuilt when INTU went into liquidation and it is now just a huge site of half demolished rubble blocking the way from the railway station to the rest of the city.

D6130

Established Member
How about Leeds - Carlisle - Metrocentre and/or Newcastle - Carlisle -Leeds, if your pass allows? That would give you the chance to visit the largest shopping centre in the North-East of England and possibly - depending on train timings - the smaller one in Carlisle too.
Leeds - Skipton on a 333, then up to Carlisle. has a shopping mall. 1/2 mile from the station. Nice little cathedral too.
If you wish to do a short hop on a 333, combined with a trip to Carlisle, I would recommend doing it on the way back. If you take a 333 from Leeds to Skipton, you may find it difficult to find a seat - particularly a window seat - when the Carlisle train arrives there.

thejuggler

York has a Mcarthur Glen Designer Outlet out of town.

You need to get a number 7 park and ride bus from outside the station if it really grabs your fancy! The trip takes about 15 minutes on their new EV bus.

xotGD

Established Member
Leeds - Carlisle - Barrow - Lancaster - Leeds (or reverse)

That way, you get to enjoy a lot more scenery. But, sadly, not the 37s on the Cumbrian Coast.

Put Whitehaven as the destination on your ticket.

I agree that you should wait until the daylight hours are longer so as to enjoy the views.

Llandudno

Established Member
If you can travel on a Saturday howabout a trip to Cleethorpes using the Saturday only train from Sheffield via Brigg.

Splash out on a mega fish & chips at Papas on the Pier, reportedly the largest fish & chip restaurant in the world.
£14.95 to eat in and you won’t need to eat anything else or day - fabulous!

Glenn1969

Established Member
If you can travel on a Saturday howabout a trip to Cleethorpes using the Saturday only train from Sheffield via Brigg.

Splash out on a mega fish & chips at Papas on the Pier, reportedly the largest fish & chip restaurant in the world.
£14.95 to eat in and you won’t need to eat anything else or day - fabulous!
Think that is on the list of January withdrawals so maybe wait until we see how long these cuts last before deciding?

Status
Not open for further replies.