• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summer 2021 HST Staycation Specials on S&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Without wanting to ruin the surprise the other day, the interior has been revealed by DCC Concepts / LSL. It remains, thankfully, virtually the same as the GWR First Class interior with a few very minor modifications. For those expecting something as radical as the BP in the Buffet Car, don't get your hopes up. It remains in virtually ex FGW / GWR condition.

Have you booked your tickets for the #StaycationExpress ???
The best way to see the S&Cenery this summer!
Plus we will deliver your order on-train when you get to Settle for free! Just let us know which train you're on and we will meet you on the platform!

(Photo of interior showing ex GWR interior)

The shade of green is nicer than the GWR shade (which is too dark), but I'm not sure why the silver stripe doesn't go over the cab doors and luggage van doors on the power car. You'd hope drivers wouldn't need contrasting coloured doors...
I have to agree, the random gaps does somewhat make it look a little unfinished. The size of the silver band is possibly to fit the GNER style crest, which appears to be a new to LSL feature and translates (roughly using Google) as "Everything is Possible".

DB

I have to agree, the random gaps does somewhat make it look a little unfinished.

If they had continued it over the doors, or painted the whole of each door in the grey/silver colour used for the stripe, it would have looked better.

That coach pictured looks to be a TC, with the standard-class half refitted with first class seating and carpet - the middle partition can be seen, and the far end wall of the other half is still in FGW blue. But there aren't any 460xx listed in the formation?

fgwrich

Established Member
If they had continued it over the doors, or painted the whole of each door in the grey/silver colour used for the stripe, it would have looked better.

That coach pictured looks to be a TC, with the standard-class half refitted with first class seating and carpet - the middle partition can be seen, and the far end wall of the other half is still in FGW blue. But there aren't any 460xx listed in the formation?

If that is FGW’s Light Olympia on the end wall, then the photo will have been taken in the TGF looking away from the guards van. However I think it’s just a trick of the light as the walls are now a light grey. No TC’s were used by LSL other than for spare parts.

ClagLover

On Moderation
Did anyone else go out to watch the Rail Charter Services staycation test? I watched it come back through Leyland. There were quite a few people turned up to take photos.

The Prisoner

Booked tickets for the weekend after next - £79 each for two of us to take a single journey from Skipton to Carlisle including a three course Sunday roast. Seems reasonable to me!

Did anyone else go out to watch the Rail Charter Services staycation test? I watched it come back through Leyland. There were quite a few people turned up to take photos.
It passed me as I was driving down the A682 between Gisburn and Long Preston (it creeped past me at Nappa) and along the whole way I think I saw 3 photographers on the road.

Why does the livery make me think of a supermarket ‘own brand’ version of an After Eight chocolate mint box?!

On Moderation
Predictably 43058 has been shut down all day on the staycation job, leaving 43059 to do the work. So out of 7 (yes, seven) LSL power cars only one is functioning, the other six are accident damaged (055), at NL for exam (46/49), at Crewe not used/broken (47) or in bits at Eastleigh (83). Oh and there was no hot water in the buffet car due to a fault.

Day one of a new service and there’s no backup plan. Frankly it’s an engineering shambles.

Iskra

Established Member
Predictably 43058 has been shut down all day on the staycation job, leaving 43059 to do the work. So out of 7 (yes, seven) LSL power cars only one is functioning, the other six are accident damaged (055), at NL for exam (46/49), at Crewe not used/broken (47) or in bits at Eastleigh (83). Oh and there was no hot water in the buffet car due to a fault.

Day one of a new service and there’s no backup plan. Frankly it’s an engineering shambles.
I think you're being a little harsh, they are a relatively new traction type for LSL afterall.

The main thing is the service was able to keep running.

On Moderation
I think you're being a little harsh, they are a relatively new traction type for LSL afterall.

The main thing is the service was able to keep running.
I don’t think it’s harsh at all. If anything it’s even worse to launch a service with no contingency if it’s a new traction type. They have done NOTHING to properly fix 43058 since it failed on the test runs before its repaint and NOTHING to have a spare ready. Expecting 100% availability from two power cars 6 days a week for 2 months is lunacy.

fgwrich

Established Member
I don’t think it’s harsh at all. If anything it’s even worse to launch a service with no contingency if it’s a new traction type. They have done NOTHING to properly fix 43058 since it failed on the test runs before its repaint and NOTHING to have a spare ready. Expecting 100% availability from two power cars 6 days a week for 2 months is lunacy.
Given the issues with the Pullman at the weekend, it's somewhat surprising that they feel 1 power car can do the work of 2 by itself. While some brush it off as "part of the experience" "LSL finding it's feet" etc, it's a pretty poor show and to me, shows that they seem to care more about their image than the engineering practicalities and risk of a repeat incident occurring again. If they'd known that 058 wasn't going to work, then I'm not sure why they didn't either a, substitute it with 047 regardless of it's ex EMR livery, rested the set with some of their IC Mk3s + DVT taking up the slack instead. After all, it's not as if LSL has a limited pool of locos to chose from in it's fleet...

Iskra

Established Member
Footage from today appears to show both powercars working, one looking very claggy too :)

theblackwatch

Established Member
Footage from today appears to show both powercars working, one looking very claggy too :)
I photographed the Staycation yesterday, and can confirm both power cars were working on at least two of the four trips when it passed me.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was in the garden of the Station Inn pub by Ribblehead and it went over around lunch time going north.

I then went on the train on 19 July Skipton to Carlisle and back, it was very good.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I saw tweets this morning saying dining options are being reduced due to supplier issues with delivering fresh supplies to the S&C trains - citing the "pingdemic" caused by the out of control COVID situation as the reason.

alexl92

Established Member
I agree. It's poor form.

12C

Had a very enjoyable trip on this on Wednesday, Appleby to Skipton return. Food was excellent with brunch served exactly as we passed over Ribblehead Viaduct. Shame to hear about the problems with catering as it seemed a very popular option on our train, the dining car was full whereas the rest of the train seemed fairly quiet.

Just curious why this runs empty stock from Carlisle to Appleby in the morning and vice versa on the evening run? To me they’re missing out on a huge market of day trippers in the Carlisle area wanting to travel to Settle/Skipton as opposed to a what must be a fairly limited market from Appleby. We caught the Northern service from Carlisle to Appleby to connect with the HST, which was packed out from the off including a large coach party heading to Settle who were occupying a whole coach of the 158. To me they would have had a much better experience on the Staycation set had it started from there.

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I had a look on the Staycation Express website earlier this week and wondered why it wasn't giving me prices for travel including food, whereas it was a few weeks ago.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Must admit, I was quite tempted by the original 'Sunday Roast' lunch offering that was previously advertised. If it remains dropped, I suspect I will remain on the lineside, and I'm sure I am not the only one who was largely tempted by the dining experience.

No Spirit

Two of us did a return trip from Skipton to Carlisle today, and both agreed it was a fine experience, and exceptional value for money. Despite the slight disappointment of learning that brunch would not be available to some of us who had booked it (and the refund received before we travelled), we were impressed with the comfort, catering, and general warm welcome from all staff from the moment we were greeted at Skipton. We fortunately were still able to enjoy afternoon tea on the return journey, and this was served by a very attentive crew, as well as being of high quality. All in all, an excellent day out and great value for money. The scenery goes without saying.

The Prisoner

Did the journey yesterday - 1205 skipton to Carlisle complete with Sunday roast which was excellent. Staff were attentive and the food was (pardon the pun) first class. The chef even came out and took a bow.

The problem for the operator is that they have decided to limit food to the 16 seats in coach D (restaurant car next to one of the power cars). This is apparently due to not being able to serve coach E (2nd in formation) with food due to a combination of unreliable suppliers, staff shortages and customers having to walk to the counter in coach E through D, which they don’t feel is in keeping with their social distancing plans with so much need for staff movement in order to serve.

The rest of the train seemed largely empty

if you can get the roast beef tickets for the Sunday it’s highly recommended.

fgwrich

Established Member
Speaking of largely empty, it seems that this year's "Staycation Express" isn't attracting the numbers or demand it had last year, which has resulted in a lowering of the fares and cancellation of all Sunday services now.

12C

It’s a shame passenger numbers seem to be low as by most accounts it’s a very good experience. I’ve been on it this year and last, and this time it seemed a lot more professional. At a guess a lot of the popularity last year was for the more varied traction.

When we travelled on it there seemed to be much more demand for dining than non dining, yet dining capacity seems to have been much reduced and doesn’t even seem to be an option to book any more. This will no doubt put a lot off as the meal on the train adds a lot more to the experience and is fairly good value compared to usual railtour dining prices.

Also why start at Appleby in the morning when it runs ECS from Carlisle? Carlisle has always been a popular start point for day trips on the Settle line but as we witnessed the 158 which runs out in front of the HST from Carlisle is often packed out with coach parties and day trippers leaving the HST behind it empty.

Lastly there seems to have been very little promotion of it considering all the expense on refurbishing the train and hiring staff. I live in Cumbria and have family all over the County, including a few with an interest in railways, and nobody I mentioned it to had heard of it. I only spotted it was starting on this forum.

I hope it becomes a success as it’s what the S&C has been crying out for for years, and the stock and service on board are excellent. It just seems it could be a lot better executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.