• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sunak told to apologise for the end of furlough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyersey468

Established Member
“prematurely withdrawing furlough and risking thousands of unnecessary redundancies”, the SNP has demanded.

Rishi Sunak will visit Edinburgh Glasgow and Fife on Thursday to meet people supported by the UK Government’s “plan for jobs” scheme, which he said has supported one in three jobs in Scotland and tens of thousands of Scottish businesses.
I started a new thread as I wasn't sure where this should go. Sunak has been told by the SNP to apologise for the withdrawal of furlough as the Scottish seem to think it is prematurely being withdrawn, but the scheme has been extended twice as it is and it was said the extension to September would be the last. Furlough can't keep being extended and extended indefinitely.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member

I started a new thread as I wasn't sure where this should go. Sunak has been told to apologise for the end of furlough, the Scottish seem to think it is prematurely being withdrawn, but the scheme has been extended twice as it is and it was said the extension to September would be the last. Furlough can't keep being extended and extended indefinitely.
If the Scots want to keep it, they should fund it in Scotland!

Only industry which needs this still anf should get more time is the airline industry surely?

bramling

Veteran Member

I started a new thread as I wasn't sure where this should go. Sunak has been told to apologise for the end of furlough, the Scottish seem to think it is prematurely being withdrawn, but the scheme has been extended twice as it is and it was said the extension to September would be the last. Furlough can't keep being extended and extended indefinitely.

How about he also apologises for the inevitable tax increases, pay freezes and other nasties which have already come, with more to follow, to pay for furlough?

For goodness sake, it's already been extended umpteen times, and has gone on way longer than it should have. What planet are some of these people on?

greyman42

Established Member
How about he also apologises for the inevitable tax increases, pay freezes and other nasties which have already come, with more to follow, to pay for furlough?

For goodness sake, it's already been extended umpteen times, and has gone on way longer than it should have. What planet are some of these people on?
The planet where people get paid for doing nothing.

Eyersey468

Established Member

I agree. The one industry which may have a case for a short extension is the airline industry, but it can't keep being extended

joncombe

If the Scots want to keep it, they should fund it in Scotland!

Only industry which needs this still anf should get more time is the airline industry surely?
That's a bit narrow? Ferry companies, Eurostar, coach tour companies etc too, basically any business reliant on international travel.

EssexGonzo

It's just the SNP, who have their own agenda. They don't speak for everyone in Scotland by any means.

But the reason that they are quoted is that they’re the majority party in government. They’re in charge, just like the Tories are in England.

And I would say that the Tories don’t speak for everyone in England - but unfortunately their majority means that the rest of us are ignored.

My point being that - agree or not - their words and policies are that of the government, just like the SNP’s in Scotland.

75A

Established Member
But the reason that they are quoted is that they’re the majority party in government. They’re in charge, just like the Tories are in England.

And I would say that the Tories don’t speak for everyone in England - but unfortunately their majority means that the rest of us are ignored.

My point being that - agree or not - their words and policies are that of the government, just like the SNP’s in Scotland.
Fair point.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Did I say that? No.
In that case you know what their agenda is, and I don't think there is anything more to say on that.

Out of interest, do you agree with the SNP's stance on this issue,and how long do you think it should be extended for, and how would you pay for that?

GALLANTON

If businesses are being told to remain closed then furlough should be extended until those businesses are allowed to open. If furlough ends before those businesses are allowed to open then there is a risk those businesses will have to close and pay people off because they have no money to pay their staff.

Crossover

Established Member
If businesses are being told to remain closed then furlough should be extended until those businesses are allowed to open. If furlough ends before those businesses are allowed to open then there is a risk those businesses will have to close and pay people off because they have no money to pay their staff.
Which businesses are now forced to stay closed?

Alex C.

I suspect there will be a lot of this over the net few months, particularly as job losses and redundancies bite. Our unemployment benefits are some of the worst in Europe so regardless of the pandemic, many who support workers rights may see it as an opportunity to challenge the status quo. The government will want to be careful that they don't get blamed for a drop in income at the ballot box.

bramling

Veteran Member
I suspect there will be a lot of this over the net few months, particularly as job losses and redundancies bite. Our unemployment benefits are some of the worst in Europe so regardless of the pandemic, many who support workers rights may see it as an opportunity to challenge the status quo. The government will want to be careful that they don't get blamed for a drop in income at the ballot box.

A drop in real income is almost inevitable as inflation seems almost certain to go through the roof - indeed it already seems to be doing that. I can't see salaries keeping up. People are bound to notice, though of course whether they blame it on "the virus" as opposed to excessive use of restrictions, who knows.

devon_metro

Established Member
The answer for the SNP it to finally remove the restrictions still in place. I'm sure nightclubs in England have been doing a roaring trade, so no need for staff on furlough. The crippling social distancing requirements also need dropping. Otherwise, the Scottish Government sets its own budget, so i'm sure it could fund it if thought it were still necessary.

35B

Established Member
We've been here before - those who rely on subsidy naturally dislike the withdrawal of that subsidy. If the economy is being opened up, then the emergency measure of furlough needs to be withdrawn.

Agreeing with others, I'm not surprised that this reaction is coming from Scotland - it's a free shot for the SNP, as they get the political credit for what is a UK policy, and a free shot when that UK policy is withdrawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.