• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarket Update (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Don't wish to turn this into a mask thread but, given a choice between wearing a mask inside or queuing outside, give me that mask any day!
I would say the exact opposite, as someone who is exempt from wearing a mask but has been questioned 8 times and shouted at 4 times for not wearing one in the past 24 hours alone, I want nothing more than for this mandate to end. It really makes life difficult.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
I would say the exact opposite, as someone who is exempt from wearing a mask but has been questioned 8 times and shouted at 4 times for not wearing one in the past 24 hours alone, I want nothing more than for this mandate to end. It really makes life difficult.
This is a vast difference - I've not had as much a raised eyebrow in and around Glasgow in the past 24 weeks, let alone days or hours. I'm sorry to hear you're getting such strife.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't wish to turn this into a mask thread but, given a choice between wearing a mask inside or queuing outside, give me that mask any day!
I disagree; if I see a queue I go to a different supermarket (this hasn't happened since maybe Summer 2020?) Mandatory masks are incredibly divisive and cause huge aggro.

greyman42

Established Member
I don't do either, just claim an exemption if challenged.

This is a vast difference - I've not had as much a raised eyebrow in and around Glasgow in the past 24 weeks, let alone days or hours. I'm sorry to hear you're getting such strife.
I don't think the good people of Glasgow would put up with being constantly questioned and shouted at.

david1212

Established Member
Back just before masks were made mandatory unless exempt my observations were only a minority still wearing them. After the majority were but more not than up to July. I made a badge based on those downloadable from the government website to fit a discarded holder I found at work. It often spins round. I have not been challenged once nor seen anyone be challanged.

I can't recall if the red / green lights at the Aldi & two Tesco I mostly use were ever turned off. I avoid the busiest times but have not seen any queuing.

Overall despite the dire warnings back a few months ago overall I have not found supply issues or noticed empty shelves. The one thing I did find was that up to Christmas Aldi consistently had gaps or low stock of own brand toiletries. I'll find later this week if any improvement.

Tracked

Established Member
Noticed the other day that the local Morrisons had started to arrange shelving in the entrance towards the separate entrance/exit they had last year.

Just been, the shelving has been cleared now from the slightly restricted attempt to go back to separate entrances and exits/get people to buy more Christmas tat.

Not much shortages on fruit and veg today, though I went early as I guessed it'd be quieter early on

david1212

Established Member
An hour ago I was in Aldi. The traffic lights were off. The main shortages were still toiletries and cleaning products. No long life orange juice and some cooked meats missing but that may just be production & distribution not back to normal after Christmas changes. While more automation than years ago staff ill or isolating may be an issue too.

I forgot my mask exemption badge but no challenge by staff, security or customers. Compared to 6+ months ago a higher proportion of non-mask, no badge or no sunflower lanyard wearers.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I disagree; if I see a queue I go to a different supermarket (this hasn't happened since maybe Summer 2020?) Mandatory masks are incredibly divisive and cause huge aggro.

Not a problem if there are several close by. But we should be able to do our shopping without aggro.

High Dyke

Established Member
I still find shopping a challenge. Then again baskets or trollies are ideal for barging the dithering shoppers out of the way.

That said neither the wife or I do a massive shop, merely frequent top-up shopping at the stores we visit.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...I forgot my mask exemption badge but no challenge by staff, security or customers. Compared to 6+ months ago a higher proportion of non-mask, no badge or no sunflower lanyard wearers...
People are fed up with masks now and at most supermarkets in most areas of the country (it does vary massively by location and time of day) there are loads of people who are just getting on with their normal lives now and are done with the whole Covid theatre. You won't get any bother almost anywhere.
Not a problem if there are several close by. But we should be able to do our shopping without aggro.
Indeed we should, and at the shops I've been to there is no sign of aggro or authoritarianism in place. Times have changed and that's a very good thing in my opinion.

greyman42

Established Member
People are fed up with masks now and at most supermarkets in most areas of the country (it does vary massively by location and time of day) there are loads of people who are just getting on with their normal lives now and are done with the whole Covid theatre. You won't get any bother almost anywhere.
I can vouch for that.

satisnek

I can't speak highly enough of my local Morrison's store which has been my lifeline for the greater part of the last two years. During the darkest times of 2020/1 they did everything which was required and necessary without being completely anal like certain other supermarkets (so I heard). The fact that those who had fully bought the propaganda thought that Morrison's were too lax sounded good to me!

During the year of mandatory face covering I wore a (completely useless I know) visor, for no other reason than to avoid confrontation with stupid people. I'm pleased to report a 100% success rate in this respect. Currently I don't wear anything (over my face, that is) but the chicken in me means that I carry an exemption card. At the time when I tend to visit, almost all customers are masked (although only a minority are 'properly sealed') but, interestingly, at least half of the staff aren't. Nobody has said anything to me so far (touch wood).

Back in September I managed to get some time out on the boat and as a result made a couple of visits to Sainsbury's in Burton. Even at that time customers were bombarded with PA announcements recommending face coverings while all the staff were masked. I really wouldn't want to go there presently.

greyman42

Established Member
During the year of mandatory face covering I wore a (completely useless I know) visor, for no other reason than to avoid confrontation with stupid people. I'm pleased to report a 100% success rate in this respect. Currently I don't wear anything (over my face, that is) but the chicken in me means that I carry an exemption card. At the time when I tend to visit, almost all customers are masked (although only a minority are 'properly sealed') but, interestingly, at least half of the staff aren't. Nobody has said anything to me so far (touch wood).
I also use Morrison's and never wear a mask and nobody seems to care less. As is the case with Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Marks and Spencer's. Others may be the same but i don't use them regularly.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Back in September I managed to get some time out on the boat and as a result made a couple of visits to Sainsbury's in Burton. Even at that time customers were bombarded with PA announcements recommending face coverings while all the staff were masked. I really wouldn't want to go there presently.
My local Sainsburys had relentless announcements for over a year but thankfully they were ditched in the summer. As yet they have not come back.

Class 33

Established Member
Social distancing was FINALLY scrapped on 19th July, which really was long overdue. But still a number of shops, etc still keeping their signage and PA announcements about it, all this "Please keep your distance", "Please keep a safe distance", etc still on display and being put out on the PA announcements! I've just been in Sainsbury's and they've still got a number of large cardboard "Please keep a safe distance" signs all over the place, which they could have easily taken down by now! Also the PA announcement "Please keep a safe distance from other customers and staff. You must wear a face mask. Remember not everyone will be able to socially distance....." going off! For goodness sake, social distancing laws/restrictions were scrapped 6 months ago now! We're not still in the early days of the pandemic anymore! Most people have moved on from social distancing now. These companies need to too!

Butts

Veteran Member
M&S Food in Falkirk have gone back to going in through the normal Exit and out through the Entrance but apart from that nothing - no return of one-way inside.

kristiang85

Established Member
Social distancing was FINALLY scrapped on 19th July, which really was long overdue. But still a number of shops, etc still keeping their signage and PA announcements about it, all this "Please keep your distance", "Please keep a safe distance", etc still on display and being put out on the PA announcements! I've just been in Sainsbury's and they've still got a number of large cardboard "Please keep a safe distance" signs all over the place, which they could have easily taken down by now! Also the PA announcement "Please keep a safe distance from other customers and staff. You must wear a face mask. Remember not everyone will be able to socially distance....." going off! For goodness sake, social distancing laws/restrictions were scrapped 6 months ago now! We're not still in the early days of the pandemic anymore! Most people have moved on from social distancing now. These companies need to too!

In my local Morrissons, all that was gone - but since the Plan B rules were put in place, all the signs and plastic barriers between tills etc. came back.

I can't wait until it's all gone again. I don't want to live in a world where we are all kept apart.

Class 33

Established Member
In my local Morrissons, all that was gone - but since the Plan B rules were put in place, all the signs and plastic barriers between tills etc. came back.

I can't wait until it's all gone again. I don't want to live in a world where we are all kept apart.

It's absolutely bonkers isn't it! The Plan B restrictions brought in last month did not mention anything atall about social distancing restrictions returning. Yet why have some of these supermarkets brought back their social distancing "measures", and social distancing signage(if they didn't get rid of them anyway!) and PA announcements?! Absolutely bonkers! These supermarkets have lost the plot!

Just been into that Sainsbury's I went to last night(it's the nearest supermarket to me if I'm a bit limited for time, otherwise I'd goto Aldi, Lidl, Iceland or Asda). And now noticed they've brought back those horrid wooden dividers again between the normal checkouts! Absolutely bonkers! Mind you last year(and the year before!) to seperate the queue between the self check-outs and the gangway to a few of the adjacent aisles, they had this absolutely horrid claustraphic(what with having to wear masks too) wooden tunnel! I hope they don't bring that back again.

I agree, the sooner all this is all gone the better. No more face mask restrictions, no more social distancing measures/restrictions(which there shouldn't be ANY of now anyway since the government scrapped those restrictions on 19th July!), and no more of all these signage and PA announcements about these stupid restrictions/measures!

david1212

Established Member
I agree, the sooner all this is all gone the better. No more face mask restrictions, no more social distancing measures/restrictions(which there shouldn't be ANY of now anyway since the government scrapped those restrictions on 19th July!), and no more of all these signage and PA announcements about these stupid restrictions/measures!

Less than a week to go although I suspect a proportion of customers will not wait.
For most of the stores I have been in all they have to do is remove the face covering notices. I expect the perspex screens around the checkouts will remain and at Tesco superstore the entrance barriers separating entry and exit.

Tonight in Aldi fewer gaps on the shelves of toiletries and cleaning products.

Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member

Sainsbury's issues important Covid-19 update affecting all stores in England​

Rules surrounding face masks in England change on Thursday, January 27

The rules surrounding the wearing of face coverings change in England on Thursday as the Government moves to end Plan B restrictions that came in before Christmas as Omicron spread across the country.

This means that the wearing of face masks is no longer required by law in any setting in England, including supermarkets, from January 27.

Health guidance, however, will remain for people to wear a face covering in crowded and enclosed spaces, where you may come into contact with people you do not normally meet.

And this has seen supermarket chain Sainsbury's put in a request to its customers and staff.

It said: "Safety remains our highest priority. From Thursday, we’re asking our customers and colleagues in England to continue to wear a face covering in our stores if they are able to.

"In Scotland and Wales face coverings remain mandatory for those who can wear them in our stores, in line with the latest Government restrictions.

"We continue to have a range of safety measures in all of our stores, including screens and sanitising stations."

Absolutely BONKERS! Why don't they(and numerous other companies) use the scrapping of mandatory face mask laws on Thursday as good reason to completely move on from this "Covid measures" nonsense??!!

Of course, there's nothing they will be able to do now to those who choose not to wear a face mask in their stores. But nevertheless, it's still annoying they're going to have a "Please wear a face covering if you can" messaging throughout their stores for probably MONTHS to come.

Just been to my local Sainsbury's. That particular branch, from 30th November when mandatory face mask laws were stupidly brought back again, compliance with face masks was very high(at least 90%). However just now when I was in there, only about 50 to 60% of people were wearing them. Lots of people can't wait until Thursday to ditch their pointless face masks! Come Thursday I expect and hope the numbers wearing face mask in that branch(and indeed in shops/supermarkets all over England) will be much much lower!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Government guidance recommends face coverings be worn, especially in crowded places such as shops and public transport so it’s hardly surprising that the country’s largest retailers are following this guidance.

Personally I will not be following the guidance but many people will choose to do so. I see it as a sort of ‘glide path’.

westv

Established Member
It doesn't sound any different to how it was prior to plan B

Class 33

Established Member
Those supermarkets who are choosing to tell us "To wear a face mask if you can"(like they did way back after 19th July last year!), I think they should only continue this in the very short term such as only about another month or so, OR if they see the numbers of people wearing them are very low and can see the evidence for themselves that the vast majority of people are no longer wearing them and have the confidence to do so. There's no point on this messaging continuing long term when the large majority of people will ditch their masks and want to get back to complete normality.

I think it was very encouraging that particular branch of Sainsbury's, I witnessed only about 50 to 60% of customers wearing them earlier when I was in there, two days before the nonsense law is scrapped. Looking forward to seeing what it's like on Thursday! Should definitely be below 50% of customers wearing them, and will steadily decrease as the weeks go on, hopefully at a faster rate than last time though.

greyman42

Established Member
Government guidance recommends face coverings be worn, especially in crowded places such as shops and public transport so it’s hardly surprising that the country’s largest retailers are following this guidance.
Why should they feel they have to follow "guidance" when it is not law?

Berliner

I suspect internal market research drives their decisions, as it does with most retail. If they find that most customers feel safer in masks, or at last feel safer seeing others in masks, they will do all they can to promote the idea that their stores are safe and they will do so knowing they are going with what most of their shoppers want.

If there is an uptick in shoppers saying they don't want masks and don't like them in stores then I suspect we will see them change their tune pretty swiftly.

greyman42

Established Member
I suspect internal market research drives their decisions, as it does with most retail. If they find that most customers feel safer in masks, or at last feel safer seeing others in masks, they will do all they can to promote the idea that their stores are safe and they will do so knowing they are going with what most of their shoppers want.

If there is an uptick in shoppers saying they don't want masks and don't like them in stores then I suspect we will see them change their tune pretty swiftly.
In my opinion, in real life shoppers don't like them. If you were to go by the results of a You Gov poll, they will be here forever.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

If it's all about "keeping people safe" then they'd be better not selling tobacco, alcohol and fatty foods.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In my experience Sainsbury’s have always been the most respectful of the five major non-discounter supermarkets.

Their signage has been quite clear and made it clear that it was a personal choice between Freedom day and the end of November. When masks were mandatory, PA announcements instore also advised that hidden disabilities may mean others may not be masked up.

In contrast,
- Tesco retained social distancing and store capacity limits post Freedom day, despite not being required to. They also had the strongest signage regarding masks and store capacities, with large signs by entrances proclaiming “Let’s be on the safe side”
- Morrisons have been on social media a lot from earlier in 2021, I have heard a lot of horror stories from their staff, including the infamous event in one rogue store where they made customers who were exempt from maskwearing wear a yellow sticker (https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/morrisons-yellow-sticker-no-mask-19861555)
- ASDA had “Safety Marshals” at the entrances to many shops at certain times, with uniform branded to this effect, routinely challenging customers to wear a mask
- When capacity limits were a thing, Waitrose seemed to limit customer numbers more strictly than other supermarkets, and also kept up the perspex screens at self service checkouts between summer & winter

greyman42

Established Member
Morrisons have been on social media a lot from earlier in 2021, I have heard a lot of horror stories from their staff, including the infamous event in one rogue store where they made customers who were exempt from maskwearing wear a yellow sticker (https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/morrisons-yellow-sticker-no-mask-19861555)
As you say, one rogue store. My experience of Morrisons is that they could not care less whether you wear a mask or not. I don't wear one.

Berliner

If it's all about "keeping people safe" then they'd be better not selling tobacco, alcohol and fatty foods.
They say it's about that, but we know it's not, it's to appease people who still want to wear masks, which is the majority in the eyes of the supermarket chains, hence why they continue with it. I also imagine staff may still have a large say in this as they may wish to maintain some protection as they deal with hundreds of people each day. I am not saying it's right, but just trying to explain where this might be coming from.

In my opinion, in real life shoppers don't like them. If you were to go by the results of a You Gov poll, they will be here forever.
They should be asking real-life shoppers, but if they are going by polling it'll be from YouGov or surveys linked to their loyalty cards which get sent out to a small sample of customers and an even smaller will reply, usually those with the strongest opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.