• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarket Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I struggled to get 5l water last time I was (planning to) going camping. The only time I buy plastic with water in not fresh from the tap. The empty bottles we use to fetch water from the nearest stand pipe. So it was going to be a bit of a crisis. Now i know why there might have been none.

Thats terrible, what are issues btw ? :D.
Love it haha.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Sainsbury's joining some of the others not opening on Boxing Day this year - sadly staff expected to use annual leave or have it unpaid !
Call me cynical, but Boxing Day is a Sunday this year, so perhaps this year they would have closed anyway? There are also the two substitute Bank Holidays on the 27th and 28th to take into account.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Call me cynical, but Boxing Day is a Sunday this year, so perhaps this year they would have closed anyway? There are also the two substitute Bank Holidays on the 27th and 28th to take into account.
They’ve traded on Sunday 26th before. Bear in mind there is a large estate of convenience stores as well as supermarkets.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

It is a slightly damp squib this year as it falls on a Sunday but nonetheless I think many others will follow suit in the coming weeks.

bramling

Veteran Member
Sainsbury's joining some of the others not opening on Boxing Day this year - sadly staff expected to use annual leave or have it unpaid !

Personally I’m very happy to return to the subdued Boxing Day we used to see a decade or two ago. I’ve never got why so many people make such a massive thing about wanting Christmas off to spend time with the family, but then end up doing mundane stuff like spend the day at the supermarket which they can do for 363 other days of the year.

Won’t make much difference unless the rest of retail follows suit though, which I can’t see happening.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Has anyone been in any of the local Co-op supermarkets recently? Do they have their own distribution stock network?
My local Co-op has had problems recently, although the other day it was once again well stocked. But yes I believe they do have their own distribution network, I often see their trucks arriving when sat in the pub next door.

SteveM70

Established Member
Has anyone been in any of the local Co-op supermarkets recently? Do they have their own distribution stock network?

Yes they do. I’m assuming you’re asking because you’re seeing gaps on the shelves? If you could say (roughly will do) where you live, I might be able to shed a little more light

Smidster

Yes they do. I’m assuming you’re asking because you’re seeing gaps on the shelves? If you could say (roughly will do) where you live, I might be able to shed a little more light

Our local Co-Op (the new store in Haworth) has been completely bare over the last week - On Sunday there was nothing fresh at all.

So many shortages, doing real damage, and yet nobody seems to give a damn.

nlogax

Established Member
Our local Co-Op (the new store in Haworth) has been completely bare over the last week - On Sunday there was nothing fresh at all.

At the same time Co-op are partnering with Amazon to sell groceries online nationally by the end of this year. Will this exacerbate the situation or are the stock / delivery issues likely to be on the mend by then

SteveM70

Established Member

So many shortages, doing real damage, and yet nobody seems to give a damn.

So, three things have caused an impact, two temporary and one longer term

The longer term one is the ongoing impact of staff shortages, particularly with drivers. It affects the amount of stock we can ship to stores, and it also affects our suppliers’ ability to deliver to us

The two short term ones:

- last Saturday the depot that supplies that store (and about 425 others) had a catastrophic failure of its chillers that meant the entire day’s fresh pick had to be binned

- last weekend was the 9th of 11 weekends where the Coop is migrating products from its old systems to its new ones. When we do this, we lose the ability to supply the cutover products for 24 hours

Recovering from these takes a few days - you can’t just let the systems order what they’d like to, or the network would be overwhelmed. But it will get better.

I’ve no idea how much of that is communicated to the stores (or indeed how much they’d understand if they were told, nor what they’d choose to tell customers)

Jamiescott1

I work in catering and we're having real issues sourcing products.
The main items are factory produced items such as onion bhajis, garlic bread, croissants etc.
Meat and veg are currently fine. Fruit juice is becoming an issue

Butts

Veteran Member

In Scotland they are trying to persuade the Big Stores not to open on New Years Day.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My local Co-op has had problems recently, although the other day it was once again well stocked. But yes I believe they do have their own distribution network, I often see their trucks arriving when sat in the pub next door.
Heard on the radio about three weeks ago that the Co-Op were offering agency lorry drivers fantastic bonuses.

adc82140

Established Member
Our local Co op has always looked like the Soviet Union in 1988. Nothing to do with current logistics problems. I've been told that they only re-order when they have run out of something, rather than reordering when stock runs low, so there is always a 1 or 2 day gap for product lines being replenished. It's a "blue co op" store, run by Co op Group. The "green Co op" in the next town, run by Southern Cooperative is much better.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Our local Co op has always looked like the Soviet Union in 1988. Nothing to do with current logistics problems. I've been told that they only re-order when they have run out of something, rather than reordering when stock runs low, so there is always a 1 or 2 day gap for product lines being replenished. It's a "blue co op" store, run by Co op Group. The "green Co op" in the next town, run by Southern Cooperative is much better.
The inventory management system will re-order the stock. The same system is used across the organisation.

SteveM70

Established Member

That is just not true

The inventory management system will re-order the stock. The same system is used across the organisation.

The same system is used across the cooperative groups roughly 2600 stores. The independent societies (ranging from Southern, central England etc with hundreds down to Allendale with one) have their own systems.

The replenishment system knows the quantity of stock in the store and it’s date life, forecast sales including the impact of seasonality, and the days of the week the store orders and delivers. It also has a concept of what an acceptable minimum stock is (sometimes called presentation level) and should order to prevent physical stock falling below the PL.

But it’s an inexact science, particularly for small stores where there can be big fluctuations in sales. And it relies - as would any replenishment system - on the store book stock being reasonably accurate. That can be a challenge

Butts

Veteran Member
I thought everywhere was closed on New Year's Day in Scotland including no public transport running?

They are allowed to open and some do. There is a consultation going on at the moment with a view to prohibiting NYD opening for larger stores.

dk1

Veteran Member
I thought everywhere was closed on New Year's Day in Scotland including no public transport running?
Doesn’t Avanti, LNER & XC operate as normal NYD or do they not just go north of Edinburgh/Glasgow?

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member
Doesn’t Avanti, LNER & XC operate as normal NYD or do they not just go north of Edinburgh/Glasgow?
The English TOCs only run a limited number of services to Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central on New Year’s Day. There is no train service at all anywhere else in Scotland that day and no buses either.

dk1

Veteran Member
The English TOCs only run a limited number of services to Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central on New Year’s Day. There is no train service at all anywhere else in Scotland that day and no buses either.
Always find it strange that here in Norwich we have practically no buses at all on New Years Day but it’s a normal train service engineering works excepted.

DannyMich2018

They are allowed to open and some do. There is a consultation going on at the moment with a view to prohibiting NYD opening for larger stores.
Ok thanks but I did know that no public transport then and most shops etc do close NYD. Anyway back on topic my Morrisons has removed their 2 staffed basket tills replaced by 2 self service conveyor belt trolley ones.

317 forever

Established Member
I think Lothian Buses still have a limited service on New Year's Day, like on Christmas Day.

MikeWM

Established Member
My Tesco home delivery this evening has just been cancelled 'due to store issues', whatever they are. That's never happened before :-/

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That would normally mean a shortage of staff to pick your order or a shortage of drivers to bring it to your house.

MikeWM

Established Member
That would normally mean a shortage of staff to pick your order or a shortage of drivers to bring it to your house.

Yes :-/ Interesting, given the severe staff shortage I observed at my local a couple of weeks back. Guess I'll try Sainsburys instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.