• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
What you have described there is exactly what supermarkets rely on, and even the reason they swap aisles around periodically. Most customers will arrive in a supermarket with a list or a fair idea of what they want, however many will see other items they hadn't thought of or might fancy whilst wandering around. Online shopping is less likely to generate such impulse buying.
The process is slightly different, but in principle you should be able to generate a lot more impulse buying from online. Sainsbury's regularly do things like insert suggested items into your favourites, or add the odd "paired" item into categories where they don't belong, both of which can be pretty effective. If they were serious about it they could retarget you across other sites so that you spent the week filling your basket and by the time you actually came to make the order you'd already spent 30 or 40 quid. Run a better content strategy so that bored people found it entertaining to fill their basket and you're on a roll.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
The process is slightly different, but in principle you should be able to generate a lot more impulse buying from online. Sainsbury's regularly do things like insert suggested items into your favourites, or add the odd "paired" item into categories where they don't belong, both of which can be pretty effective. If they were serious about it they could retarget you across other sites so that you spent the week filling your basket and by the time you actually came to make the order you'd already spent 30 or 40 quid. Run a better content strategy so that bored people found it entertaining to fill their basket and you're on a roll.
That’s all easier to ignore though, if you are basically repeat ordering the same stuff online as opposed to going round a store.

trebor79

Established Member
That’s all easier to ignore though, if you are basically repeat ordering the same stuff online as opposed to going round a store.
And such algorithms tend to show you things you've already bought, or very similar items. I like the physical act of discovering something completely new. Like wandering through a bookshop. Last night in Tesco I stumbled across "kiwi berries" which I've never eaten or even heard of (I know, it's a sheltered life I lead :lol: ). I've bought some to try. There's no way an algorithm would have pushed that in front of me, and low likelihood I'd have decided to buy them if it had.

I don't think the algorithms are as good as they are cracked up to be in any case. Quite often I'll buy something online - what Google ads do I then start seeing? The exact product I've just bought from the exact same retailer!

takno

Established Member
And such algorithms tend to show you things you've already bought, or very similar items. I like the physical act of discovering something completely new. Like wandering through a bookshop. Last night in Tesco I stumbled across "kiwi berries" which I've never eaten or even heard of (I know, it's a sheltered life I lead :lol: ). I've bought some to try. There's no way an algorithm would have pushed that in front of me, and low likelihood I'd have decided to buy them if it had.

I don't think the algorithms are as good as they are cracked up to be in any case. Quite often I'll buy something online - what Google ads do I then start seeing? The exact product I've just bought from the exact same retailer!
It was an algorithm that shoved the product on the right shelf for you to stumble on it in Tesco. There's a lot of capability in algorithms. Admittedly the marketing teams using them in online settings often aren't as good at their jobs as the in-store counterparts, but that's something which will change as more of the customer contact moves online.

On the retargetting, which is overall an incredibly effective ad strategy, if they are chasing you to buy the same thing again it could be because the tracking code that identifies you buying the product didn't fire. More likely they think that they can literally make you go and buy a second one, or that you will click on it to track your purchase / have another look at the thing you bought and then buy some accessories for it, and maybe matching shoes while you're there. The ad space is cheap as hell, and nobody minds if you think they're stupid, as long as they can get a proportion of people to buy something.

Meerkat

Established Member
It was an algorithm that shoved the product on the right shelf for you to stumble on it in Tesco. There's a lot of capability in algorithms. Admittedly the marketing teams using them in online settings often aren't as good at their jobs as the in-store counterparts, but that's something which will change as more of the customer contact moves online.

On the retargetting, which is overall an incredibly effective ad strategy, if they are chasing you to buy the same thing again it could be because the tracking code that identifies you buying the product didn't fire. More likely they think that they can literally make you go and buy a second one, or that you will click on it to track your purchase / have another look at the thing you bought and then buy some accessories for it, and maybe matching shoes while you're there. The ad space is cheap as hell, and nobody minds if you think they're stupid, as long as they can get a proportion of people to buy something.
The algorithm can’t tell what will catch your eye on a random shelf as you wander around. And online doesn’t give you good visuals (Ooh that’s a good price for a big pack like that)
Amazon is always telling me I might be interested in something I have already bought from them and very unlikely to need multiples of. It seems very crude.

trebor79

Established Member
On the retargetting, which is overall an incredibly effective ad strategy, if they are chasing you to buy the same thing again it could be because the tracking code that identifies you buying the product didn't fire.
Happens all the time. I also see ads for products that I'm researching but haven't yet decided to buy. I refuse to click on those ads and will instead go back to the site manually once I decide to purchase, those ads are just Google earning a comission for providing a link. They don't influence my decision in any way and I don't see why the retailer should have to pay a click-through fee, so I make sure they don't have to.

The algorithm can’t tell what will catch your eye on a random shelf as you wander around. And online doesn’t give you good visuals (Ooh that’s a good price for a big pack like that)
Amazon is always telling me I might be interested in something I have already bought from them and very unlikely to need multiples of. It seems very crude.
Indeed. Last thing I bought online was a bulk pack of 300 pairs of earplugs. I now see ads for them. I won't need any for a couple of years at least!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

One thing that needs to be addressed to encourage that is the checkout process - certainly on Tesco a full re-checkout is a bit of a faff, rather than it being a quick couple of taps to add things to your shopping list you've just used the last of. They'll be limited a bit by what the banks allow, but perhaps a move to direct debits rather than cards, and then it'd effectively work as an ongoing thing.

The ideal would be one tap on an app, scan the barcode of the thing you're running out of, tap the number. No more effort.

takno

Established Member
One thing that needs to be addressed to encourage that is the checkout process - certainly on Tesco a full re-checkout is a bit of a faff, rather than it being a quick couple of taps to add things to your shopping list you've just used the last of. They'll be limited a bit by what the banks allow, but perhaps a move to direct debits rather than cards, and then it'd effectively work as an ongoing thing.

The ideal would be one tap on an app, scan the barcode of the thing you're running out of, tap the number. No more effort.
It is a bit inane the way they do it at the minute. Needing to log into your basket just to add items pre-checkout, and pushing people into a flow of logging in, picking a slot, doing their shopping in 2 hours and then checking out and waiting. I end up grabbing a slot a few days upfront, filling the basket with booze, checking out, and then completely changing the order and checking out again the night before when I know what I actually need.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is a bit inane the way they do it at the minute. Needing to log into your basket just to add items pre-checkout, and pushing people into a flow of logging in, picking a slot, doing their shopping in 2 hours and then checking out and waiting. I end up grabbing a slot a few days upfront, filling the basket with booze, checking out, and then completely changing the order and checking out again the night before when I know what I actually need.

As most people do a regular slot, a better option would be that you "subscribe" to a slot every week/every 2 weeks, and you can add stuff to it as you go along. If that's awkward in payment terms due to bank restrictions, have it so you add items through the week and have to go in and "check out" the day before, locking your order then.

You could also have "subscribed" items that you always have delivered (and instead of them just disappearing you would be offered a substitute if one week they weren't available). People seem to be making viable businesses out of subscribing to bog roll, washing capsules etc - why do supermarkets not do it?

You can sort of do it with shopping lists but it doesn't work nicely.

One off orders could still be allowed, but it's not the way most people shop.

adc82140

Established Member
The Adsa man told me the other week that many people just buy one item to secure the slot, then do their shop the evening before delivery. It can backfire though. He related a story a out how he delivered one packet of jaffa cakes to a house on 23rd December. That's all that was in their basket. They had failed to "check out amends" properly the day before.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

As most people do a regular slot, a better option would be that you "subscribe" to a slot every week/every 2 weeks, and you can add stuff to it as you go along. If that's awkward in payment terms due to bank restrictions, have it so you add items through the week and have to go in and "check out" the day before, locking your order then.

You could also have "subscribed" items that you always have delivered (and instead of them just disappearing you would be offered a substitute if one week they weren't available). People seem to be making viable businesses out of subscribing to bog roll, washing capsules etc - why do supermarkets not do it?

You can sort of do it with shopping lists but it doesn't work nicely.

One off orders could still be allowed, but it's not the way most people shop.
I'm new to Tesco home delivery, since Maskification. There are annoying habits to the process, principally the inability of the system to recognise my 'always buys', even in the 'things you have bought online previously' list and the multiple stage checkout (things you might buy, special offers, £1 offers, and things you might have forgotten!). It would be nice to have a simple list which you could transfer into your new basket and then manually remove any items you didn't want that week, rather than having to search for each item and add them individually.

The basic process I find generally convenient. I just select my slot (regular time, four weeks ahead), chuck the always bought things in the basket (orange juice, milk, bread, spuds, carrots & veg mash - just over £8) and pay. I did this today for my next slot in four weeks time. It will stay like that for the next three weeks (and three intervening deliveries), then I will update the list a few times in the week leading up to delivery day. From the user perspective, my card details are confirmed with the bank only on the first occasion. The only risk is that I somehow forget to fill my basket and end up paying the £4 charge for an under £40 basket.

Yesterday, on my home delivery, some items were not available and not substituted, so I have been down to the supermarket in person. A bad decision as it is Friday and it was rather busy - but no queue to get in despite that. The black/yellow keep your distance markings are still stuck to the floor. I would say 99% compliance with face-covering - I saw just one person without one. I even paid cash at the self-service checkout. Today was the first time I have been in store for two months, other than face-coverings, and some counters remaining closed, it was pretty much a normal experience.

Having set up myself up for home delivery, I shall probably continue regardless of the outcome re COVID. A weeks worth of food, plus household, cleaning and
toiletries was too heavy to carry home in one go. I may well drop the frequency, getting the heavy and regular stuff delivered and do multiple small top-up shops in person. The best of both worlds.

Scrotnig

I have mostly used Sainsburys for home deliveries and click and collect since all this started.

I can only report that they have been excellent in everything they have done.

Occasially I've used Tesco, again both edelivery and click and collect, and they have equally been excellent.

Finally I've had two deliveries from Ocado and I can't fault them either.

I think at the start of this the supermarkets were faced with an unprecedented situation and, all things considered, seemed to step up to the plate rather well.
The government could learn a thing or two from them about how to react in a crisis.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I have mostly used Sainsburys for home deliveries and click and collect since all this started.

Occasially I've used Tesco, again both edelivery and click and collect, and they have equally been excellent.

I think at the start of this the supermarkets were faced with an unprecedented situation and, all things considered, seemed to step up to the plate rather well.
The government could learn a thing or two from them about how to react in a crisis.
The key lesson to learn being 'you have to deal with the situation', and that includes managing the implementation process and monitoring to ensure your desired outcome is achieved. Ordering any old random Coronavirus tests, or PPE via unknown third parties from untested suppliers, hoping it gets onto a plane, expecting it to pass test for fitness etc. As someone posted, Mrs Thatcher would have had the scientists in and questioned them on the detail of their modelling etc.

Remember Foot and Mouth, when the situation got out of control due to 'silo mentality', 'lack of overall control/co-ordination', 'territory battles between departments'. Then they brought the army in, command and control.

A good dose of needing to make a profit in order to survive as a business is also useful. Something that the government, or local authorites, do not have to worry about. However bad they are, you still have to pay your taxes. If they mess up big time, you just have to pay more taxes to cover it.

takno

Established Member
The Adsa man told me the other week that many people just buy one item to secure the slot, then do their shop the evening before delivery. It can backfire though. He related a story a out how he delivered one packet of jaffa cakes to a house on 23rd December. That's all that was in their basket. They had failed to "check out amends" properly the day before.
That's why I always fill out the full 40 quid with booze. No chance of a surcharge, and I'll definitely get through it before it goes out of date.

Very much agreed. As I recall it took them a little while to get up to speed, but a reasonably impressive effort, and it all works pretty well. Except for cheap eggs - I've never had a full unbroken box of them.

route101

Established Member
My local Morrisons has brought back the one way, marshalls and queuing systems.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My local Morrisons has brought back the one way, marshalls and queuing systems.
An image was being shared on social media over the last few days with a few spelling/grammar errors and branding that was a bit off, saying exactly that. Their social media confirmed that whilst the image was not genuine, they are reinstating queues etc.

A worrying and regressive step. Lets hope the other shops don’t follow suit.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Yesterday I had to queue to get into Waitrose. I've not been to a supermarket on a Saturday for a long time but this is the first time I've had to queue for several months.

Bikeman78

Established Member
An image was being shared on social media over the last few days with a few spelling/grammar errors and branding that was a bit off, saying exactly that. Their social media confirmed that whilst the image was not genuine, they are reinstating queues etc.

A worrying and regressive step. Lets hope the other shops don’t follow suit.
Does this mean we can ditch face masks in shops? I thought the idea was that they enabled more people to be in shops at once so if the queues are coming back why do we need the masks?

talldave

Established Member
Does this mean we can ditch face masks in shops? I thought the idea was that they enabled more people to be in shops at once so if the queues are coming back why do we need the masks?
"For the greater good". No, I'm not sure what the **** that means either.

island

Veteran Member
Masks requirements were brought in to make people feel safer about going back to shops in person and spending money; when cases are (reportedly) rising it does not seem likely to make people feel safer if they abandon the requirements again.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Masks requirements were brought in to make people feel safer about going back to shops in person and spending money; when cases are (reportedly) rising it does not seem likely to make people feel safer if they abandon the requirements again.
It’s very very wrong to mandate something in the basis that it “might make people feel safe”, it also “might” make people with hidden disabilities feel excluded, it “might” lead to people being less inclined to travel due to it being so uncomfortable and the often authoritarian attitude displayed towards masks, and it also “might” lead to quite a considerable decline in footfall in high streets, further accelerating the death of the high street.

It’s also extremely wrong that it has been portrayed that masks “protect others” when in fact they’re there to make people feel safe. It needs to stop. Soon.

Domh245

Established Member

Of course, there is an interesting argument to be had that people feel too safe. Removing masks will stop people from interacting quite so much, and may go some way to reinforcing the (more important) social distancing measures that seem to have disappeared amidst a rise in "I have a mask and am therefore safe" attitudes

birchesgreen

Established Member
My wife (who is a Waitrose partner) told me that bog roll and flour is selling out fast at her branch. Doesn't take much to restart the panic buying!

philosopher

Established Member
Oh god, not this again. Fed up doesn't bloody cover it.

*Context: I work in a supermarket.*

The panic buying this time round I just can’t understand. There never was any shortages of food in supermarkets, apart from the odd items such as flour during the last lockdown. You would have thought shoppers this time would have remembered so they would have been less inclined to panic buy.

Domh245

Established Member
You would have thought shoppers this time would have remembered so they would have been less inclined to panic buy.

You would have hoped, but then again with the news of the £10k fine for failing to self isolate, people would rather not take the chance!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
My wife (who is a Waitrose partner) told me that bog roll and flour is selling out fast at her branch. Doesn't take much to restart the panic buying!
Despite no-one actually needing all that bog roll, because it's not that kind of illness. Perhaps they could replace the imprint of an Andrex Puppy with one of a naked Karen!

If people feel the need to stockpile, they have had five or so months since the supermarkets got back on their feet in which to do it! A bit like the government, why plan ahead when you can panic on the day.

Scrotnig

Despite no-one actually needing all that bog roll, because it's not that kind of illness.
It was never about the type of illness.

It started in Australia. It was a rumour that since all toilet paper was made in China (which is not true), and China had been badly hit by the virus, it was going to lead to a shortage of toilet paper. This caused panic buying which then spread to the UK.

Urobach

Oh good my local Morrisons have brought back the queuing system for tills, with the ironically named speedy shop basket queue as pathetic as it was before, massive queue moving at a snails pace which grinds to a halt when people at the front don't want to use the self scan, which of course is the same line.

(Annoyed at the system for not, not those who don't want to use self scan)

Status
Not open for further replies.