• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
Is anyone actually queuing outside a supermarket? My local Tesco got the traffic lights, but I've never seen anything other than a green light.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is anyone actually queuing outside a supermarket? My local Tesco got the traffic lights, but I've never seen anything other than a green light.

Not round my way. Things seem to have calmed down and if everyone shops normally there won't be a problem, it's when people panic buy that problems start to happen.

I've said before (and will say again for completeness) that there might be a few shops where you need to queue to enter - these will generally be stores that have a very high customer number for their size but they should be the exception rather than the rule.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I saw a queue one Saturday. Funnily enough it was early autumn when hospitality had restarted but before we went into the tiered system. That got me paranoid about weekend shopping and, apart from last Saturday first thing, I have done my shopping predominantly during office hours.

trainophile

Established Member
I used to feel really sorry for shops (generally not supermarkets) that had gone to the trouble of marking the pavement outside with footprints and numbered "Queue here" signs, but had nobody showing the slightest interest in entering the premises. I say 'used to' because most of them seem to have scrapped any semblance of expecting queues outside nowadays, they are lucky to get any customers at all :( .

david1212

Established Member
Early evening today at my local Tesco single floor superstore there was nothing significantly different compared to three weeks ago other than lights above the entry doors and more stock moved around to fit in Christmas items.

Last weekend two work colleagues both found big queues at a Morrisons. One went to the Tesco Superstore at most a mile away and found no queue while the other not wanting a lot went to a Co-op.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
My local Tesco also has the traffic lights installed. The signs on the door say something to the effect of "do not enter when the fire alarm sounds and red light is illuminated" so no clue if it's actually related to COVID or not. I couldn't see any devices installed to count customers in/out either.

david1212

Established Member
My local Tesco also has the traffic lights installed. The signs on the door say something to the effect of "do not enter when the fire alarm sounds and red light is illuminated" so no clue if it's actually related to COVID or not. I couldn't see any devices installed to count customers in/out either.

I admit I didn't look but maybe just manually controlled from a room rather than a member of staff having to be at the doors. Logically where CCTV monitoring is so the operator can judge how busy the key aisles are e.g. dairy and chilled, bakery, frozen rather than to total number in the store. The same could apply to Aldi.

If a staff member reads this forum perhaps they will outline the system.

Jamiescott1

I admit I didn't look but maybe just manually controlled from a room rather than a member of staff having to be at the doors. Logically where CCTV monitoring is so the operator can judge how busy the key aisles are e.g. dairy and chilled, bakery, frozen rather than to total number in the store. The same could apply to Aldi.

If a staff member reads this forum perhaps they will outline the system.

By tesco installing these traffic lights now (at a cost), I think it shows how long they expect these covid restrictions to go on for . If they were expecting it for just a few months then they wouldn't waste the money

CrispyUK

By tesco installing these traffic lights now (at a cost), I think it shows how long they expect these covid restrictions to go on for . If they were expecting it for just a few months then they wouldn't waste the money
Aldi installed them months ago. I wouldn’t expect them to be particularly expensive bits of kit and probably pay for themselves pretty quickly compared to having to keep a member of staff there keeping count all day.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I've not had to queue outside a shop or supermarket since the early summer. There was no apparent change over Wales' firebreak either.

The supermarkets I frequent have a member of staff counting people in and out, but there's never need for anything more than a friendly not on the way in.

Darandio

Established Member
My local Asda was less than a joy this morning. Considering we are supposed to be in lockdown and shopping for essentials only, one would assume the goal is to have people get in and out quickly. In their wisdom they have decided overnight to completely rearrange over half of the store, this is effectively all dry goods whether it be tins, tea bags or toilet rolls. The result was an extremely busy store with clueless people everywhere, it's normally very quiet every morning at this time but there are probably people still aimlessly wandering round after being in there for 30-40 minutes because they haven't got a clue where anything is.

philjo

Established Member
I see that BBC are reporting that Tesco have introduced an online queuing system to log on for placing online orders to cope with demand.

trainophile

Established Member
Last weekend two work colleagues both found big queues at a Morrisons. One went to the Tesco Superstore at most a mile away and found no queue while the other not wanting a lot went to a Co-op.

Morrisons were not long ago publicising that they are giving 10% discount to all education workers, as well as medical staff. Not sure if it's still happening but could explain the queues if so.

I see that BBC are reporting that Tesco have introduced an online queuing system to log on for placing online orders to cope with demand.

Tesco released their Christmas week delivery slots early this morning apparently, and it's pandemonium now. A friend of mine who has priority ordering hasn't been able to get a slot, and that has never happened before.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Tesco released their Christmas week delivery slots early this morning apparently, and it's pandemonium now. A friend of mine who has priority ordering hasn't been able to get a slot, and that has never happened before.
I suspect a lot of people would find it easier if they just ditched brand loyalty for now.
Certainly I've been doing orders with Tesco, Asda and Iceland online when in the past I mainly just used Tesco.
Just having a quick nose now - for my address Tesco has zero availability at all for the next 3 weeks but Asda has quite a lot once you get past the next 10 days or so.
If you are just sticking to one supermarket because that is what you usually use - have a look at others instead.

I suspect a lot of people would find it easier if they just ditched brand loyalty for now.
Certainly I've been doing orders with Tesco, Asda and Iceland online when in the past I mainly just used Tesco.
Just having a quick nose now - for my address Tesco has zero availability at all for the next 3 weeks but Asda has quite a lot once you get past the next 10 days or so.
If you are just sticking to one supermarket because that is what you usually use - have a look at others instead.
Indeed I have abandoned Tesco for Asda for December deliveries.

trainophile

Established Member
Iceland always have slots round here, I get at least one email daily offering me seemingly the full pick, but unfortunately they also tend to cross things off, and of course their range isn't huge to start with.

Last Saturday they did deliver everything I ordered, which was a first. Also of course there's no delivery charge if you spend £35, so even if they cross £10 worth off, if you ordered £35 in the first place there's no charge. I couldn't get anything for Asda, and Tesco is also fully booked for the next three weeks, although I have one in hand for next Monday, which I may add to in case it's the last one I can get this year.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
although I have one in hand for next Monday, which I may add to in case it's the last one I can get this yea
That's another good tip at the moment too. Even if you don't have the time to add, or even know, everything you want for an order, you can book the slot whenever you see one available and just add to it at a later date. Just make sure you remember to actually add to it haha!

adc82140

Established Member
It's all hype generated by the supermarkets themselves. Let's face it, I doubt there will be huge Xmas gatherings and 15 round the dinner table this year. So why are people claiming that Christmas will be ruined because they can't get a 2 ton Turkey (Daily Mail comments) Has the UK ever run out of turkeys before? So what if we do. Other foods are available. Would anyone's family disown them if they had a chicken instead?

trainophile

Established Member
I remember one year they (the press) were causing panic about a shortage of brussels sprouts! In the event they were selling them off for 10p a big bag on Christmas Eve.

Ostrich

My local Asda was less than a joy this morning. Considering we are supposed to be in lockdown and shopping for essentials only, one would assume the goal is to have people get in and out quickly. In their wisdom they have decided overnight to completely rearrange over half of the store ......
This drives me mental! Our local Waitrose did the same half-way through the first lockdown, and the first time I visited after that, the store was virtually at a standstill as confused shoppers (mainly males ;)) meandered back and forth looking for stuff and everyone else tried to maintain the 2m distance from them. The small Iceland supermarket in town also undertook a substantial reorganisation last month, not only relocating the tinned goods around the store rather than displaying them in a dedicated wall unit, but also moving all the freezer contents around (gearing up for Christmas party food) - but at least we have now had time to get used to it.

AM9

Veteran Member
I doubt whether the cost of purchase and installing those lights are more than a fraction of a day's profits. A medium sized supermarket can have a turnover of well over £250k per week.

cactustwirly

Established Member
My local Waitrose has introduced a pointless queue this week, despite having nothing since June!
There is still no social distancing in the store, so I'm considering ignoring it/pretending I didn't see it next time I go.

Jamiescott1

My local sainsburys have removed the barriers that they installed for queueing.
Hopefully the end of queueing

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Customers will still need to queue if, at any point in time, the number of customers wishing to enter exceeds the permitted capacity of the store.

Jamiescott1

Customers will still need to queue if, at any point in time, the number of customers wishing to enter exceeds the permitted capacity of the store.

How will they know how many people in the store if they've removed the funnel

Spoke too soon. They've installed new barriers, twice as many as previously

Gloster

Established Member
I haven’t been following this thread, so sorry if the following has already come up. I feel sorry for just about every business that normally expects to make a significant proportion of their annual income in the run up to Christmas. They are closed, but the supermarkets are still selling the whole range of their own goods. People seem to be spending a bit of their free time browsing and buying Christmas goods, where usually they would have gone to a smaller shop. By the time the other shops reopen, I suspect that many people will have already stocked up on their purchases of Christmas bits and bobs, and only have perishables and a few oddments to get. This is purely a subjective opinion.

Last edited:

initiation

They are closed, but the supermarkets are still selling the whole range of their own goods.

And more! Tesco this evening had every bit of space jammed with Christmas stuff. The blame lies with the government but unfortunately it is business owners who will take the hit.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How will they know how many people in the store if they've removed the funnel

A store might not get anywhere near its maximum capacity except on the very busiest days. Some stores I know don't need to count customers on Mondays to Thursdays but do count them on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays because they are a lot busier on those days.

Also, you don't necessarily need a person to count customers entering or exiting a store. There are various pieces of technology that can be used.

Spoke too soon. They've installed new barriers, twice as many as previously

Christmas is coming! Peak trading for supermarkets happens at Christmas. Without covid supermarkets are packed with customers on 21st, 22nd and 23rd December with the 23rd normally being the busiest day of the year. This year supermarkets won't be able to increase the maximum number of customers allowed in on the busiest days in order to maintain social distancing. This is why queueing systems are being put back in place. I'm sure supermarkets will encourage customers to shop early but many won't and there is a imit to how early you can shop for fresh food.

I haven’t been following this thread, so sorry if the following has already come up. I feel sorry for just about every business that normally expects to make a significant proportion of their annual income in the run up to Christmas. They are closed, but the supermarkets are still selling the whole range of their own goods. People seem to be spending a bit of their free time browsing and buying Christmas goods, where usually they would have gone to a smaller shop. By the time the other shops reopen, I suspect that many people will have already stocked up on their purchases of Christmas bits and bobs, and only have perishables and a few oddments to get. This is purely a subjective opinion.

This is a Government policy issue and there if supermarkets can't sell their full range the sales will simply go to Amazon. For all the bashing supermarkets in this country get at least they pay their taxes in the UK.

Believe me, customers haven't stocked up yet, many will leave it until the last minute. Supermarkets only have a finite number of depots and lorries and they need several weeks to deliver the additional stock to the shops in addition to the normal stock. This isn't covid related, it a well rehearsed plan that happens every year.

And more! Tesco this evening had every bit of space jammed with Christmas stuff. The blame lies with the government but unfortunately it is business owners who will take the hit.

Interestingly I went for a walk through my local town centre today. Obviously all of the essential retailers were open but I was surprised to see most of the independent retailers open as well, albeit for order collection only. Most were being very innovative in how they are operating which was very good to see.

Gloster

Established Member
Believe me, customers haven't stocked up yet, many will leave it until the last minute. Supermarkets only have a finite number of depots and lorries and they need several weeks to deliver the additional stock to the shops in addition to the normal stock. This isn't covid related, it a well rehearsed plan that happens every year.

It just strikes me that, for whatever reason: more spare time, shopping at quieter times than normal, dilly-dallying when they have a legitimate reason to be out of the house, uncertainty about when the lockdown will end, etc., a lot of people are starting their Christmas shopping earlier and that gives an advantage to the supermarkets. There will still be many who won’t or can’t change their habits, but even if they only lose ten percent of their Christmas sales this year, and I think it will be more for some, that could be enough to tip some smaller shops over the edge. There may be fewer Christmas shopping trips to the nearest big city because of COVID, but will people use their local small retailers, or will they gravitate to the supermarkets and get a lot done at once?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It just strikes me that, for whatever reason: more spare time, shopping at quieter times than normal, dilly-dallying when they have a legitimate reason to be out of the house, uncertainty about when the lockdown will end, etc., a lot of people are starting their Christmas shopping earlier and that gives an advantage to the supermarkets. There will still be many who won’t or can’t change their habits, but even if they only lose ten percent of their Christmas sales this year, and I think it will be more for some, that could be enough to tip some smaller shops over the edge. There may be fewer Christmas shopping trips to the nearest big city because of COVID, but will people use their local small retailers, or will they gravitate to the supermarkets and get a lot done at once?

Supermarket volume at Christmas is mostly food and sales won't increase until much nearer the time. To be fair the large supermarkets have large General Merchandise and clothing ranges as well but they aren't areas of the store that see the huge increases that food sees.

It might surprise you to know that supermarket clothing sales are down compared to last year, despite 4 months of the specialist clothing shops being closed. The reason is people aren't buying as many clothes as they were - you don't need a new outfit when working at home, or shoes, or clothes for the holiday you're not going on, or something to wear on the night out that's been cancelled....

Status
Not open for further replies.