• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

An autistic person would be able to provide proof, such as his or her diagnosis of autism, that would render any such “grilling” unnecessary.

The same way you prove anything else, with evidence.

Something so subjective would be difficult to "prove" (or to disprove).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
The Courts manage daily to deal successfully with things that are difficult to prove or disprove – but as I said a couple of posts up, the burden of proof lies on the claimant.

The BBC do at last seem to be recognising that there might be a difference between anti-maskers and those who are exempt:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55639186
"My heart races, I get really hot and start sweating, I start shaking, all the noise in the shop seems to get louder and the lights seem to get brighter."
That's how it feels when Georgina Spray puts on a face covering.
The 21-year-old has autism and is exempt from wearing one. But she's so worried about being confronted, she chooses to put one on anyway.
The problem for Georgina is there's still no official way of proving you're exempt.
You're also exempt if they're likely to cause you "severe distress".
The problem is, it isn't easy to tell if someone's exempt just by looking at them - and that's where confrontations can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

SS4

Established Member
I don't know why the government even bothered to make it a law. That the law (rightly or wrongly) says you don't have to prove an exemption makes it half hearted at best. They'd have been better leaving it as recommended. Then again perhaps the plan was to use it to sow discord - as the saying goes divided we fall. Either go big or go home

As for supermarkets the distancing is terrible. I always went around 9pm so missed the worst of it but when I went earlier the 2m was ignored. I still believe that distancing is effective (moreso than masks)

DB

I notice that the local M&S food shop now has a new mask sign on the door with a lot more words than the previous one.

I was of course entirely unsurprised, on reading it, to find that it's just as non-compliant with the regulations as the previous one, and still has no mention at all of exemptions.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I notice that the local M&S food shop now has a new mask sign on the door with a lot more words than the previous one.

I was of course entirely unsurprised, on reading it, to find that it's just as non-compliant with the regulations as the previous one, and still has no mention at all of exemptions.
Please report them to your councils environment department

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
My place has the same emotional blackmail, and we’ve had exactly the same with people who claim to be terrified being found doing overtime (in some cases doing tasks which they claim they can’t carry out as part of their normal workload as it’s purportedly too dangerous).

I too am sick of it, just like I’m sick of the fuss some people are making when passing in the street. It’s absolutely the right thing not to pander to it, as this makes it worse, but to treat it with the contempt it deserves.

It needs to be installed into these people that shaming people who aren’t wearing masks could and should be treated as a potential hate crime.

Anyone attempting to shame me will get a real dose of home truth. There’s plenty I’m more than happy to point out to these people.

Cressida Dick is the worst, and this particularly grates knowing her none-too-distinguished history.
I’m disgusted to say my workplace has now demanded ‘proof’ of exemption, wanting to see a letter from a GP, or else!
Without that letter, you must wear a face covering, even though most GP surgeries will not provide you with one as it is not necessary under the law.

So we are effectively FORCED to wear a mask. The union are useless. They are fully endorsing the company’s stance, leaving members with no representation.
Can company policy be above the law ???

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
One shift manager outright lied in 2 informal meetings with 2 separate individuals, telling them ‘the law changed yesterday’
I am depressed. I cannot obtain a letter, and I equally cannot afford to be suspended. It’s outrageous. My exemption has never been questioned on my way to or from work, travelling by train.

DB

One shift manager outright lied in 2 informal meetings with 2 separate individuals, telling them ‘the law changed yesterday’
I am depressed. I cannot obtain a letter, and I equally cannot afford to be suspended. It’s outrageous

Have you tried your MP? If they are a mask supporter it might be pointless, but probably still worth raising it with them.

johnnychips

Established Member
I am depressed. I cannot obtain a letter, and I equally cannot afford to be suspended. It’s outrageous. My exemption has never been questioned on my way to or from work, travelling by train.
This is outrageous and ridiculous.

Frivolously, can’t you print off an exemption card using the joys of the internet?

or more seriously, ask your employer why all can’t have a lateral flow test twice a week like where I work - oh hang on that might cost money!

londiscape

I am depressed. I cannot obtain a letter, and I equally cannot afford to be suspended. It’s outrageous. My exemption has never been questioned on my way to or from work, travelling
by train.

Photoshop the GP letter? Might work if you have a scanner and anything on the surgery's headed paper lying around somewhere.

Not that this solves the problem of the management/union disgracefully and (probably) unlawfully acting in this manner, but pragmatically might save being suspended in the meantime.

Trackman

Established Member
Ring the free ACAS helpline and see what they say, they should point you in the right direction.

Jamiescott1

My local tesco has now introduced queueing. The store was empty when I got in. 4 checkouts open with no one queueing for the checkouts and a handful of customers scattered throughout the store.
Its a large store over 2 floors

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Photoshop the GP letter? Might work if you have a scanner and anything on the surgery's headed paper lying around somewhere.

Not that this solves the problem of the management/union disgracefully and (probably) unlawfully acting in this manner, but pragmatically might save being suspended in the meantime.
Unlike not wearing a mask if exempt, forging a doctor’s letter could get one prosecuted.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We’ve decided that we’re going to lock this thread for now.
Mainly because as far as it goes with supermarkets it’s fairly set in stone at the moment so there’s not much to be said that hasn’t been said...
If anyone wants to start a thread on staff members being made to wear masks then obviously that’s fine as it’s a different issue.
Thanks for all your contributions everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.