• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP13

I went to Lidls on Saturday and to be honest it was no different to any Saturday before Christmas. This Lidls opened for the first time at the end of March and was a God send. Took the pressure off other supermarkets and was never like other places during lockdown. No queues to get in, no one way system and people were generally always sensible in there.

My wife has literally just got back from Waitrose to get a few bits and bobs I forgot to get and says it's just like lockdown again. No queues at till but no toilet roll and no flour.

To be fair during the first lockdown I found the Waitrose crowd did more panic buying than the Lidls crowd.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
I went to Lidls on Saturday and to be honest it was no different to any Saturday before Christmas. This Lidls opened for the first time at the end of March and was a God send. Took the pressure off other supermarkets and was never like other places during lockdown. No queues to get in, no one way system and people were generally always sensible in there.

My wife has literally just got back from Waitrose to get a few bits and bobs I forgot to get and says it's just like lockdown again. No queues at till but no toilet roll and no flour.

To be fair during the first lockdown I found the Waitrose crowd did more panic buying than the Lidls crowd.

My experience has always been that Waitrose has been consistently the worst of all the supermarkets in pretty much every respect. I’ve rarely seen my local Waitrose without a queue outside, sometimes pretty lengthy. They also seem to have the most awkward people on the door, giving everyone a lecture as they enter and seeming to look for reasons to be awkward (especially over couples entering!).

Thankfully my town has plenty of alternatives which offer a superior experience, though Sainsbury’s has been a pain at times too.

island

Veteran Member
A discussion had many times since March without a logical conclusion. At no time has ' the trots, Dehli Belly, ... ' been a symptom or side effect of Covid-19 infection nor has there any suggestion of significantly reduced production or distribution.
One article I read suggested it was a reaction to a visceral/instinctive aversion to “dirty” things.
I'm waiting for someone to come on and say.....

"I was at Fortnum & Mason this Evening and........"

Or is it closed like a lot of London ?
F&M, like other food retailers, is open as usual. They have chosen to close off their non-food floors in the Piccadilly store. The tea room is closed also.

MP33

I visited Tesco at 6.30 am. It was busy and there was plenty of fruit and veg, it may have been re-stocked overnight. Bread appeared to be running low.

I will not have to visit anywhere until next week now.

Scotrail12

Waitrose in Glasgow West End (Byres Road) had a huge queue today, around the entire of that block. Freezing cold as well. Didn't go in as I was only walking past to get my 10,000 steps in but I imagine it's not the only place like this.

MikeWM

Established Member
Waitrose in Glasgow West End (Byres Road) had a huge queue today, around the entire of that block. Freezing cold as well. Didn't go in as I was only walking past to get my 10,000 steps in but I imagine it's not the only place like this.

Just been to Tesco; no queue but busy inside. I much prefer shopping late at night when it is dramatically quieter. I hope we don't go down the stupid route they've chosen in Northern Ireland of forcing everything to close early evening; I totally fail to see any purpose of making people who would usually shop when it is quieter to go when everyone else is.

Jamiescott1

It seems my local sainsburys (large town centre store spread over 2 floors with clothes section and argos) have abandoned queueing.
Theres been no queue for about 6 weeks, despite them replacing the plastic outside barriers with metal ones about a month ago.
Today the store was very busy, I'd say at least double the amount of people that were in there when they had a capacity and queueing outside.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The week between Christmas and New Year always sees busy days in supermarkets and very quiet evenings. This is because most people aren't working at this time so choose to shop during the day rather than on their way home from work.

Bayum

Established Member
This morning on my way to work ( last planned working day until 4th Jan 21 ) I went into an ASDA superstore for the last few items fresh and chilled I needed to have everything until next Tuesday / Wednesday. I hope by then we are not in Tier 4 so all shops are still open rather than those with money burning a hole in their pocket and / or want an escape from home all piling into the essential shops.

It wasn't busy although by the time I left, almost 8:30, there were more people arriving.

At the entrance one staff member was wiping the baskets and ahead of me one couple were wiping their trolley so I stood back. Behind me an elderly woman was pushing her trolley into me. I turned round and said " 2 metres spacing " but it didn't register.

I just wanted to be out ASAP so didn't look around but where I went no significant gaps. A couple of items I had listed as possibilities I couldn't find. To me not surprising though as while a large store it concentrates on basic rather than premium items. I guess this is a reflection on the location.

A discussion had many times since March without a logical conclusion. At no time has ' the trots, Dehli Belly, ... ' been a symptom or side effect of Covid-19 infection nor has there any suggestion of significantly reduced production or distribution.
Interestingly, a large proportion of children suffering from GI upset are more likely to be positive for COVID-19 than children who have a cough/fever/loss of taste+smell.

david1212

Established Member
I went out this morning to the town centre then Tesco superstore. I wasn't planning another trip anyway but will be in Tier 4 from tomorrow.

A reasonable number of people about but not busy. A bit of queuing inside stores e.g. M&S clothing and Savers. No queue outside M&S food.

Arriving at Tesco more cars than I have seen since March. However no queuing and green lights over entrance. Actually instore didn't seem to reflect the number of cars while also more families and couples. Other than low stock and limited choice of oranges, easy peelers etc where I looked all was normal.

timothyw9

A Sainsburys in my area that I visited earlier today had a few gaps on the shelves, Mostly in the fruit and veg section, which was primarily what I went in for!

That's always been an issue in Sainsburys, long before COVID. (At least from my own personal experience in N.Wales and in Salford.)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's always been an issue in Sainsburys, long before COVID. (At least from my own personal experience in N.Wales and in Salford.)
There are some shortages across fresh fruit and veg this week across the industry caused by the delays due to the situation at Dover over Christmas.

317 forever

Established Member

There was also a long queue at Waitrose in Cheadle Hulme yesterday afternoon. There had been no such queues at Sainsbury's in Sale or Altrincham a little earlier.

PeterC

Established Member
There was also a long queue at Waitrose in Cheadle Hulme yesterday afternoon. There had been no such queues at Sainsbury's in Sale or Altrincham a little earlier.
My impression is that Waitrose are generally stricter at controlling numbers inside the store than the other supermarkets.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As i have said countless times already on this thread and I'll say it again....

Every shop has a capacity which is the number of customers allowed in at any one time. Customers are counted in and out either manually by a person or by using technology.

If the shop you use is relatively small but has a high number of customers then it is likely that you might have to queue to get in at busy times. Bear in mind that over the Christmas and New Year period the busy times tend to change, for example between Christmas and New Year evening trade (which is many stores is normally brisk) doesn't happen, the trade all comes during the day.

Whether or not you have to queue to get in to your supermarket of choice won't be anything to do with which supermarket it is, or where it is. It will be to do with its physical size and its customer numbers.

DannyMich2018

As i have said countless times already on this thread and I'll say it again....

Every shop has a capacity which is the number of customers allowed in at any one time. Customers are counted in and out either manually by a person or by using technology.

If the shop you use is relatively small but has a high number of customers then it is likely that you might have to queue to get in at busy times. Bear in mind that over the Christmas and New Year period the busy times tend to change, for example between Christmas and New Year evening trade (which is many stores is normally brisk) doesn't happen, the trade all comes during the day.

Whether or not you have to queue to get in to your supermarket of choice won't be anything to do with which supermarket it is, or where it is. It will be to do with its physical size and its customer numbers.
Fair enough, however many supermarkets currently are letting in MORE people than they did during the original March Lockdown-Asda and Morrisons as well as Tesco let very few people in compared to how many they let in now, yes there was often a queue whenever you went, apart from evenings, but it meant it was never too busy inside at any given time. Now all let much more people in and it can be quite unpleasant at times. Apparently on New Year's Eve both had queues going down the Aisles in Morrisons and Asda. Even allowing for the reduction from 2m to 1m distancing many let more than double they used to in.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Fair enough, however many supermarkets currently are letting in MORE people than they did during the original March Lockdown-Asda and Morrisons as well as Tesco let very few people in compared to how many they let in now, yes there was often a queue whenever you went, apart from evenings, but it meant it was never too busy inside at any given time. Now all let much more people in and it can be quite unpleasant at times. Apparently on New Year's Eve both had queues going down the Aisles in Morrisons and Asda. Even allowing for the reduction from 2m to 1m distancing many let more than double they used to in.
The change in guidance from 2m to 1m plus mitigation (the mitigation includes face coverings and screens) allows more than double the previous numbers to be admitted to spermarkets.

New Years Eve is a very busy day for supermarkets and at busy times there will be long queues down the aisles of people queuing for the tills. This would happen in normal times but the queues are longer due to distancing. To mitigate this supermarkets are encouraging customers to use self checkouts and scan and go which helps to speed up exit through the tills.

trainophile

Established Member
The change in guidance from 2m to 1m plus mitigation (the mitigation includes face coverings and screens) allows more than double the previous numbers to be admitted to spermarkets.

New Years Eve is a very busy day for supermarkets and at busy times there will be long queues down the aisles of people queuing for the tills. This would happen in normal times but the queues are longer due to distancing. To mitigate this supermarkets are encouraging customers to use self checkouts and scan and go which helps to speed up exit through the tills.

It's good that several supermarkets have now introduced dedicated self-checkout areas for people with a trolley. Some people use a trolley because they can't carry a heavy basket, need support to lean on, or are carrying other baggage or shopping from other stores already, and it was frustrating being refused entry to the basket only self-checkouts when you only had half a dozen things to buy but needed a trolley to get around the store. Asda are good for this, and they also have self-scan conveyor belt tills too. It all saves the bunching and queueing up.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It's good that several supermarkets have now introduced dedicated self-checkout areas for people with a trolley. Some people use a trolley because they can't carry a heavy basket, need support to lean on, or are carrying other baggage or shopping from other stores already, and it was frustrating being refused entry to the basket only self-checkouts when you only had half a dozen things to buy but needed a trolley to get around the store. Asda are good for this, and they also have self-scan conveyor belt tills too. It all saves the bunching and queueing up.

Asda are in my good books for having remained closed on Boxing Day. Aldi too. Lidl was up here in Manchester but not within the M25 (to be fair, that was the case last year too.)

DannyMich2018

Sainsburys and Tesco in my town have self service tills but only for baskets. Asda and Morrisons have self service for both. Not sure about Lidl or Aldi as I don't shop there but last time I went both had staffed tills only (no self checkout). With Lockdown '3" coming be interesting if customer numbers are limited more.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Self scan tills for trolleys have been superseded by scan and go. If you’re using a basket just scan as you shop and pack your bags at the same time. Much, much faster.

As far as customer numbers are concerned they will follow Government guidance when it comes to distancing and numbers.

DannyMich2018

Self scan tills for trolleys have been superseded by scan and go. If you’re using a basket just scan as you shop and pack your bags at the same time. Much, much faster.

As far as customer numbers are concerned they will follow Government guidance when it comes to distancing and numbers.
Yes and with Christmas and New Year now over hopefully they should be much quieter, I popped Sainsbury's Monday afternoon for milk, apples and loo roll and expected it busy (due to the 2000hrs announcement by Boris imminent) but was fairly quiet. I think the last few weeks due to Christmas, Brexit panic and lockdowns means people should have stocked up now and can just shop normally now.

hwl

Established Member

The biggest problems locally is the shortage of scanners as it gets more and more popular.

island

Veteran Member
The biggest problems locally is the shortage of scanners as it gets more and more popular.
At Sainsbury’s and M&S you can alternatively use a phone app. Other supermarkets may also offer this.

hwl

Established Member
At Sainsbury’s and M&S you can alternatively use a phone app. Other supermarkets may also offer this.
Tried that...
The Wi-fi in Sainsburys can barely cope with the scanners let along the phone app traffic as well and the store is a giant faraday cage with no phone signal.

Trackman

Established Member
Scan and Go is a faff, might as well use a normal till. Handy though for knowing the running total, but I do that in my head.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Scan and Go is a faff, might as well use a normal till. Handy though for knowing the running total, but I do that in my head.
I agree with @asharpe Scan and Go is much, much faster. No need to unload everything at a till and re-pack. Just pack as you go round the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.