• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Assessment Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

1725RJ

Good evening all,

Just wondering if anyone else has been invited to an SWR assessment centre? Received an invitation via email today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Does anyone know how many positions are going? are we all competing for the 1 role at waterloo?
There will be a fair few vacancies. They’re looking at having several courses throughout 2020 I believe.

Train Driver

How is everyone getting on with the practise tests provided? anyone getting through them in the time frame provided and whats the accuracy like after checking your answers? I am abit worried about the pass marks, idk what the percentage for a pass is

PickleTree

How is everyone getting on with the practise tests provided? anyone getting through them in the time frame provided and whats the accuracy like after checking your answers? I am abit worried about the pass marks, idk what the percentage for a pass is

Nobody knows what the pass mark is. All you can do is spend time studying the practice material as much as you can. Use the bourdon material from this forum and aim for accuracy first then look to increase your speed with the same level of accuracy. I got to 11-12 lines with no omissions and passed.

DA1

Training and recruitment suspended for the rest of the year for new entrants. So a start date for me would be early next year. Frustrating personally but expected.

Northernboy

Training and recruitment suspended for the rest of the year for new entrants. So a start date for me would be early next year. Frustrating personally but expected.
When/where did you hear that? I was emailed on the 6th of May re-informing me that I was through to DMI and that they would be emailing me with date and location.
I haven’t heard anything yet but also not been told anything to the contrary...

DA1

I was informed this morning by the recruitment team as I was successful at the start of the year.

They might be continuing with the recruitment process but won’t be in a position to offer a start date yet.

Northernboy

I was informed this morning by the recruitment team as I was successful at the start of the year.

They might be continuing with the recruitment process but won’t be in a position to offer a start date yet.
Thanks mate. I thought it was too good to be true!

magicmcone

Wow! Really sorry to hear that. Did you have starting date before all this hit?
I was meant to start early May as a Guard but was told that training would be delayed due to the current circumstances. Didn’t expect it to delay that much though.... :'(

DunfordBridge

When/where did you hear that? I was emailed on the 6th of May re-informing me that I was through to DMI and that they would be emailing me with date and location.
I haven’t heard anything yet but also not been told anything to the contrary...

Which depot was that for if you do not mind my asking?

DA1

Wow! Really sorry to hear that. Did you have starting date before all this hit?
I was meant to start early May as a Guard but was told that training would be delayed due to the current circumstances. Didn’t expect it to delay that much though.... :'(

I didn’t have a start date unfortunately but they initially told me June onwards this year. They have had to find out ways to train safely and they’re probably cutting their classes in half. Hopefully will hear from them October/November as I have to have another medical as it only lasts 6 months and a catch up interview (more an informal chat). Gutted but luckily I’m on the railway in a job I enjoy so I can plan the rest of this year then hopefully start afresh next year.

magicmcone

I didn’t have a start date unfortunately but they initially told me June onwards this year. They have had to find out ways to train safely and they’re probably cutting their classes in half. Hopefully will hear from them October/November as I have to have another medical as it only lasts 6 months and a catch up interview (more an informal chat). Gutted but luckily I’m on the railway in a job I enjoy so I can plan the rest of this year then hopefully start afresh next year.
Good that you are in a comfortable position and this doesn’t spoil things so much.
I hope they contact everyone soon so we can have some certainty and plan ahead accordingly.
Fingers crossed...

djwent

I am in the exact same position as you DA1, I have passed everything with SWR and am just waiting for a medical and then a start date...annoyingly my medical coincided with the lockdown date and was therefore cancelled!

I emailed them a week ago and received a very helpful response explaining that they were trying to work out training, however things are obviously going to be delayed. Judging by your update that’s a bit longer than expected but it’s understandable.

Luckily I’ve also got a pretty stable job at the moment so I’ll just sit and wait...fingers crossed they still need us!

DunfordBridge

That was for Waterloo.

Thank you. I applied for Waterloo but I never received any further emails for that post. Just prior to lockdown, I received emails for just about every other trainee driver position advertised since, saying the next stage would be an interview, but I have not had any reminders like you.

Just on SWR recruitment, I had a phone call last week saying that they are trying to resume training as soon as possible, as long as they can get the go ahead to resume from the department for transport.

DfT don't see new recruits or trainee drivers as business critical at present due to COVID, but SWR do obviously disagree due to succession planning etc, and maintaining a service. SWR are confident they can win the argument and at least get some people moving through the process.

I was due to start on March 30th as a trainee driver, but the course was cancelled 5 days before I left my current job.

I am just waiting on a new start date. Due to social distancing, their classes of 12 may need to be reduced to 4, meaning it may take 3 months to get through what was one months worth of new trainees.

Even then, they will probably have to priorities business critical depots, which is everything Bournemouth to London. I'm going to Weymouth depot so could be much longer for me now.

Guess We will just have to wait and see what happens, but i've been told it could be months.

Anyone else waiting for a new start date as a driver for SWR?

DA1

Just on SWR recruitment, I had a phone call last week saying that they are trying to resume training as soon as possible, as long as they can get the go ahead to resume from the department for transport.

DfT don't see new recruits or trainee drivers as business critical at present due to COVID, but SWR do obviously disagree due to succession planning etc, and maintaining a service. SWR are confident they can win the argument and at least get some people moving through the process.

I was due to start on March 30th as a trainee driver, but the course was cancelled 5 days before I left my current job.

I am just waiting on a new start date. Due to social distancing, their classes of 12 may need to be reduced to 4, meaning it may take 3 months to get through what was one months worth of new trainees.

Even then, they will probably have to priorities business critical depots, which is everything Bournemouth to London. I'm going to Weymouth depot so could be much longer for me now.

Guess We will just have to wait and see what happens, but i've been told it could be months.

Anyone else waiting for a new start date as a driver for SWR?

I’m awaiting a start date for Waterloo and also after receiving a call they said to me expect a start date early next year which is a minimum 6 months later than originally quoted. They did say I could be a priority due to the ridiculously high turnover at Waterloo.
We’ll get there eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.