• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Assessment Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

PickleTree

Hi all, not sure if I am the only one but out of the blue I got an email from SWR today advising I had passed the testing and the next step will be a DMI and they would be in touch. I have completed all OPC tests and MMI for a FOC already so not sure if this has helped but I have to say I was surprised today when I got the email, if not a little pleased too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Northernboy

I wouldn’t hold your breath. I got that exact same email a month ago and haven’t heard anything yet.

PickleTree

I wouldn’t hold your breath. I got that exact same email a month ago and haven’t heard anything yet.

I am not expecting an interview tomorrow or even this year but considering I hadn't heard anything since Jan this is something. I am happy to wait as I am in a job I am happy with, 2021 start will be fine by me.

jezzer34

Hi all, not sure if I am the only one but out of the blue I got an email from SWR today advising I had passed the testing and the next step will be a DMI and they would be in touch. I have completed all OPC tests and MMI for a FOC already so not sure if this has helped but I have to say I was surprised today when I got the email, if not a little pleased too!
I Had this email today and like wise have passed all the tests etc. whenever the dmi i have no idea but either way its good to hear something.

dth

DfT don't see new recruits or trainee drivers as business critical at present due to COVID, but SWR do obviously disagree due to succession planning etc, and maintaining a service. SWR are confident they can win the argument and at least get some people moving through the process.

GTR have started their driver training so this should have been concluded, unless the DfT are judging each TOC individually according to their requirements.

GTR have started their driver training so this should have been concluded, unless the DfT are judging each TOC individually according to their requirements.

Ah this is great news, perhaps now there will be a national approach.

Personally I dont see why it would be an issue now.

joystick

Is that in the school and driving ? cheers

Jlob2804

The SWR training school at Basingstoke is going to be splitting classes from 12 down to 6, I think they're trying to find the trainers to cover the extra classes at the moment. I guess when they come up with a way of doing that training will restart.

Stigy

Established Member
The SWR training school at Basingstoke is going to be splitting classes from 12 down to 6, I think they're trying to find the trainers to cover the extra classes at the moment. I guess when they come up with a way of doing that training will restart.
Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a few secondments coming up for trainers soon, at most TOCs. Can’t see any other way of reducing class sizes and still training people at a sensible rate.

PickleTree

Do you already work for SWR @Jlob2804? Sounds like they are doing all they can to get things moving again at all stages of the process.

Jlob2804

Yeah I started in April 2019. My old DI helps out at the training school and told me that. I think they really want to get things going again, but it's hard to please the company and the unions at the same time so it's taking ages.

PickleTree

Yeah I started in April 2019. My old DI helps out at the training school and told me that. I think they really want to get things going again, but it's hard to please the company and the unions at the same time so it's taking ages.
Yes I was just reading the latest update from ASLEF on another thread and they don't sound like they want training to start again in the short term. Did you go through the trainee driver programme?

Jlob2804

Yeah I've just been through it. I just about managed to pass out before lockdown and now doing roads at Bournemouth. Still can't get in any cabs at the minute so learning from DVD's.

PickleTree

Yeah I've just been through it. I just about managed to pass out before lockdown and now doing roads at Bournemouth. Still can't get in any cabs at the minute so learning from DVD's.
Congratulations on passing out. The DMI I am waiting for is for Bournemouth so nice to virtually meet somebody from the same depot on here. Might touch base with you via private message re a couple of bits if you don't mind?

DunfordBridge

Out of interest, which DVDs are you using for route learning? Some DVDs such as the 225 Studio videos do not have any commentary so there is no information about gradients, braking points, areas of low railhead adhesion, etc. Not sure if you have been issued with any track diagrams, the lines between Waterloo and Clapham junction can be especially confusing with some lines being bi-directional, then there is the Battersea flyover.

Have you tried this video on You Tube from PTG Rail, featuring a cab ride from Woking to Portsmouth Harbour in a train simulator?

Not sure it is totally accurate though, especially on the final approach to Haslemere station in the down direction.

Jlob2804

Out of interest, which DVDs are you using for route learning? Some DVDs such as the 225 Studio videos do not have any commentary so there is no information about gradients, braking points, areas of low railhead adhesion, etc. Not sure if you have been issued with any track diagrams, the lines between Waterloo and Clapham junction can be especially confusing with some lines being bi-directional, then there is the Battersea flyover.

Have you tried this video on You Tube from PTG Rail, featuring a cab ride from Woking to Portsmouth Harbour in a train simulator?

Not sure it is totally accurate though, especially on the final approach to Haslemere station in the down direction.

I use SWR route maps and videos made by a company called TAP (track access productions), we're not meant to share them unfortunatley. You might be able to find them online though, I'm not sure. To be fair, they're not much better than that train simulator one tbh. They have sound but no commentary. They have text on them telling you where the junction indictors route you etc. Thanks for the vid. I'll check that out too
:)

Last edited:

DunfordBridge

I use SWR route maps and videos made by a company called TAP (track access productions), we're not meant to share them unfortunatley. You might be able to find them online though, I'm not sure. To be fair, they're not much better than that train simulator one tbh. They have sound but no commentary. They have text on them telling you where the junction indictors route you etc. Thanks for the vid. I'll check that out too
:)

It is good to have gradient information. I do not know about the South West main line but the Portsmouth Direct Line has many steep gradients that you would expect to see on a trans-pennine route except it is up and down like a yo-yo, not generally straight up and down again. Be good to know your thoughts on the video.

Jlob2804

SWR must be starting up again as I have an assessment book on the 24th june.
The training school resumed on Mon 15th. That must have trickled down to the assessment centre. I'm glad things are moving again.

At least they are keeping in touch. When were you due to start? And for what depot?

I was due to start on March 30th, for Weymouth depot. Hopefully will get a new start date soon. Especially now that SWR have resumed training in the past week apparently.

PickleTree

I was due to start on March 30th, for Weymouth depot. Hopefully will get a new start date soon. Especially now that SWR have resumed training in the past week apparently.

Fingers crossed for you @1494 at least you have the job offer. You are just down the road from me as I applied for Bournemouth.

Hi all,

I got the call in December 2019 that I had passed my interview for SWR Commercial Guard at Fratton and should wait for a medical and start date, probably around April or May. Obviously this has been put on hold due to the lock down for the time being, but I was wondering if anyone out there had heard anything about when Medicals and courses at Basingstoke were likely to start again. Thanks in advance for any advice or info. Cheers

Just an update, SWR are working their way through candidates waiting for a start date and trying to allocate courses for next year. I have just passed my medical (again) on Friday and I have a new start date now of January 11th 2021. I applied for Weymouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.