• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

On Moderation
From my random observations it was the ex-458/0 vehicles that seem to be worse affected by the fish tank windows than the ex-460 vehicles but that is not a definitive statement.
That is correct. It particularly affects the windows with the emergency hopper openings, which the 460s don’t have.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JModulo

It's funny that you should mention that, I was looking through my phone earlier for the few photos I've taken of the 458 interiors over the last few years. Most happen to be of defects and most commonly leaks coming through the ceiling panels around the Pantograph well. I also hope that the CCTV system is upgraded during this refurb / refresh as well, because I can tell you that it is utterly useless, and some of the worst and slowest I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
Same with the 334s so perhaps just a poor design.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I have never, that I recall, seen that issue on a LNR 350. To the extent that I had forgotten it was even a thing.

This being the case, are First now skimping on maintenance?

I haven’t seen it on any repainted units as that is part of the work being carried out.

it’s not just a First thing either as it was quite common under Stagecoach.

spark001uk

Established Member
From my random observations it was the ex-458/0 vehicles that seem to be worse affected by the fish tank windows than the ex-460 vehicles but that is not a definitive statement. I do not know whether the water sloshing about has had any affect on corrosion around the window frames.
Sorry I probably wasn't very clear there, the bit about the 460 vehicles was a separate point, regarding the external black appearance of the ribbon glazing looking odd against the mainline livery, had they have included any in the refurb.
Should've drawn a line between the two! ;)

Bigfoot

Leasing company Porterbrook has awarded Alstom a contract to upgrade the Class 458 electric multiple-units operated by South Western Railway ahead of their redeployment on medium and long distance services from the south coast.

The £25m contract announced on April 6 covers an initial 28 of the 36 Class 458 units, with the work to be undertaken at Alstom’s Widnes site between June 2022 and early autumn 2023.

There is also an option to refurbish the remaining eight units, which will be stored at the Long Marston facility which Porterbrook is to take over later this year.

The award of the contract follows SWR’s decision to abandon an ongoing £45m project to refurbish its Class 442 EMUs, and instead extend its lease on the Class 458s until 2027.

The Alstom-built Class 458 Juniper EMUs entered service from 2000 as four-car sets, but were reformed as five-car units from 2014. They are due to be displaced from the London Waterloo – Reading route by the entry into service of new Class 701 Arterio suburban EMUs ordered from Bombardier Transportation (now part of Alstom).

The latest refurbishment will see the Class 458s reconfigured back into four-car units. They will also be regeared, to increase their maximum speed from 120 to 160 km/h and ensure better acceleration.

The trains will receive scheduled heavy maintenance and be repainted in SWR livery. A ‘complete upgrade’ of the interiors will include reconfiguring the seating to a 2+2 layout throughout, with new cushions and covers ‘to achieve the ambiance associated with mainline services’. Flooring will be replaced, new tables and grab rails fitted and the toilets will be upgraded. USB power sockets will be provided in standard class and combined 230 V 50 Hz and USB power sockets in first class, as well as integrated tabletop wireless charging.

‘This fully refurbished fleet of 458s will provide an even better experience for our customers, while delivering efficient and flexible capacity on our medium range services’, said Neil Drury, Engineering Director at SWR.

Porterbrook CEO Mary Grant said the leasing company ‘will be taking responsibility for the performance of these trains and supporting SWR as they transform south coast and long-distance services.’

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather

Leasing company Porterbrook has awarded Alstom a contract to upgrade the Class 458 electric multiple-units operated by South Western Railway ahead of their redeployment on medium and long distance services from the south coast.

Porterbrook CEO Mary Grant said the leasing company ‘will be taking responsibility for the performance of these trains and supporting SWR as they transform south coast and long-distance services.’
Twice the article mentions the south coast

Presume this is incorrect or they are replacements for the Class 313s...

southern442

Established Member
Slightly OT but weren't the 460s originally geared for 125mph but capped in service at 100, for acceleration purposes?

Bigfoot

Twice the article mentions the south coast

Presume this is incorrect or they are replacements for the Class 313s...
The south coast is hundreds of miles long and has multiple tocs serving it. Using this logic they are going to SE, Southern, SWR, GWR and XC. Or perhaps an article writen about SWR might only refer to SWR services, which most definitely serve the south coast.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The south coast is hundreds of miles long and has multiple tocs serving it. Using this logic they are going to SE, Southern, SWR, GWR and XC. Or perhaps an article writen about SWR might only refer to SWR services, which most definitely serve the south coast.
Indeed. I'd never have guessed that an article about SWR would only refer to SWR services. :lol::lol:

As you say, not just 458s but a SWR maintenance issue as this is quickly becoming an increasingly common sight on 450/444s too, even present on the freshly repainted ones.
SWR do not maintain 444s/450s, Siemens do.

It's funny that you should mention that, I was looking through my phone earlier for the few photos I've taken of the 458 interiors over the last few years. Most happen to be of defects and most commonly leaks coming through the ceiling panels around the Pantograph well. I also hope that the CCTV system is upgraded during this refurb / refresh as well, because I can tell you that it is utterly useless, and some of the worst and slowest I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
The CCTV was replaced at HLOS. It is now the same as 15x, Desiro, 455, 456. The original from new went in the bin.

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
If you wish to be openly pedantic then I am perfectly well aware of how long the south coast is...

I too could be pedantic and imply that SWR operate towards the southwest coast but then even that is open to interpretation depending on your geographical location

Next time, perhaps you could do the decent thing and make your sarcasm via PM

cjmillsnun

Established Member
As you say, not just 458s but a SWR maintenance issue as this is quickly becoming an increasingly common sight on 450/444s too, even present on the freshly repainted ones.

That surprises me because SWR don't maintain the Desiros. Siemens do.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The age of 158/159s and the fact they're burning barrels of diesel every day running Waterloo - Basingstoke on electrified lines is surely a greater priority.

It’s an electrified line with no spare electric power without significant upgrades so there’s no quick solution even if bi-mode trains were introduced on this route tomorrow they’d still have to operate on diesel, similar to some of the TPE services on the ECML.

Just because a line is electrified it doesn’t necessarily mean it has spare power....

Bigfoot

There's rather a lot of trains running around with taped up broken outer skin windows too. I was chatting to a fitter who was taping another up yesterday, who said window glass somewhat delayed due to Brexit import issues plus changing them involves working closely together so Covid gets in the way too. Who knows how true that is, but I suspect an element of both.

On Moderation
£25 million...That seems cheap.I wonder what they've got to change to make them 100mph units again...
Re-gearing, re-fitting yaw dampers, removal of trailer vehicle and TMS software changes are the key items. Obviously the internal refurbishment and external re-livery are included as well.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Re-gearing, re-fitting yaw dampers, removal of trailer vehicle and TMS software changes are the key items. Obviously the internal refurbishment and external re-livery are included as well.
What’s the odds they kept the parts removed during the re-gearing last time. Very small I expect...

spark001uk

Established Member
Something I've always wondered, occasionally when setting off, one of the motor bogies would judder, sometimes quite violently, what causes that? And is it just confined to the /5? I don't remember them ever doing it as a 4 car? As I say it doesn't happen often, but if it does you usually know about it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Something I've always wondered, occasionally when setting off, one of the motor bogies would judder, sometimes quite violently, what causes that? And is it just confined to the /5? I don't remember them ever doing it as a 4 car? As I say it doesn't happen often, but if it does you usually know about it.

Sounds like wheelslip.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I remember it happening just as much when they were 4 car. Gives the impression of brakes binding.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’ve noticed that as well