• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR - Further Timetable Reductions from 17/1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Back on topic, this is only temporary. If they wish to do something longer term, without wishing to put back in missing services then they need to recast the timetable to try and even it out better.

It is fairly evenly in the reduced timetable: half-hourly fast services to Guildford, Southampton and Bournemouth and hourly stopping services. Alton and Basingstoke slows are half-hourly too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
True as that may be, SWR seem to be taking these cuts to an extreme, compared to what we are currently seeing with similar operators. Southern for example have come up with what seems to be a timetable that is (until a couple of weeks ago) much more efficient and better suited to their lines than the pre-covid one. SWR have a bit of a gap whilst waiting for new trains, and they have old ones that are either desperately needed elsewhere, waiting to be repurposed for a different part of the network, or are falling apart. So it's no surprise they are being quite severe. Although Southeastern are in a position that is not dissimilar and they seem to be doing okay.
DofT are calling the shots here They had already expended the addition Covid support for TOCs by late Autumn so once WFH became norm again income worsened considerably. Treasurer will have to payup of course but not before they've wrung out as much expenditure as they can. Reality is only costs TOCs can control are the variable track access charges and the EC4T bill plus eliminating overtime and rest day working. However, im presuming most of the older stock is on short term leases now so they can also saving leasing charges by standing the 456's and the 458's - the latter are on a new arrangement and that will be reflected in the leasing rates when they are refurbished and returned to service. In some respects the 701 fiasco is saving them a shed load of cash all the while they can make it Bombardier Alstoms problem.
The outlier here is the mood music is turning positive on case levels in London and the SE so its possible WFH will be lifted at end of January as well as seeing more leisure traffic so will they be allowed to respond or be stuck with this till May 22 or worse just go straight for Dec 22 TT then.

Bessie

I assume Waterloo to Reading services remain with a half hourly frequency. SWR website seems to only have a section on 17 Jan changes dealing with the mainlines to Southampton and Portsmouth and impact on stations such as Woking, Guildford and Basingstoke.

southern442

Established Member
I assume Waterloo to Reading services remain with a half hourly frequency. SWR website seems to only have a section on 17 Jan changes dealing with the mainlines to Southampton and Portsmouth and impact on stations such as Woking, Guildford and Basingstoke.
I can't seem to find this, got a link?

Bessie

I can't seem to find this, got a link?
Sorry, I was checking on my tablet a few hours ago and the SWR website had a page where you could search the main routes/stations. Seems to have been replaced as their website which I'm now looking at on my PC only has the following message:

The onset of the Omicron variant has led to a shortage of staff across our business – from drivers and guards to engineers and controllers. These staff shortages have inevitably had a significant impact on our services, leading to short term cancellations.

As a result, we will be introducing a new, consolidated timetable from Monday 17 January 2022. Our focus is on producing a timetable that is deliverable, so that we improve reliability for our customers, and caters to key workers, school pupils and those who cannot work from home. We will be publishing further details on our new timetable shortly.

From the beginning of January through to the introduction of the new timetable on 17 January, our services will still be subject to short notice cancellations. Please check to see if your planned train is running as close to your time of travel as possible. Journey planners are currently up to date, up to and including Sunday 9th January.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It is fairly evenly in the reduced timetable: half-hourly fast services to Guildford, Southampton and Bournemouth and hourly stopping services. Alton and Basingstoke slows are half-hourly too.
But if I remember correctly the fasts from Guildford to Lindon depart x35 and x49, which isn't even but it may be more even from Portsmouth than it is on Sundays.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
But if I remember correctly the fasts from Guildford to Lindon depart x35 and x49, which isn't even but it may be more even from Portsmouth than it is on Sundays.

The current timetable I’m on about the new one from the 17th will only be temporary

Wychwood93

The current timetable I’m on about the new one from the 17th will only be temporary
With cases decreasing further, hopefully, let us hope that temporary means that. There are a lot of 'lead-swingers' out there - I know of some now - 'positive LFT' = week off. Both of our daughters, in different non-rail industries, had people trying a similar scam with the first lockdown - short shrift given.

Edit: not directed at rail staff, more a slightly off-post comment. Make what you want of that!

deepeetw

Quite surprised we're just on a week away from these timetables coming into effect, and yet they are still unpublished.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Quite surprised we're just on a week away from these timetables coming into effect, and yet they are still unpublished.
I imagine they are still being generated and out thought the timetable creation process.

DorkingMain

Good to see the Union bosses still living in a pre Covid bubble thinking that one day the timetable in use at the start of 2020 with lots of peak time extra trains to cope with the commuter demand will return in full, even though the working from home for some workers will now be the way forward. Gone are the days of 5 days a week commuters paying many thousands a year for season tickets on some routes.

They don't seem to click that the endless tap of taxpayer money which has supported the rail industry for the last 22 months will get eventually get reduced, with some high peak additional services axed for good as the demand has fallen
There is evidence the numbers were bouncing back pretty rapidly before Omicron. I don't think anyone's in a position to guess how we come out of the other side on this, hence the DfT constantly hedging their bets on "temporary" measures with TfL, etc.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
There is evidence the numbers were bouncing back pretty rapidly before Omicron. I don't think anyone's in a position to guess how we come out of the other side on this, hence the DfT constantly hedging their bets on "temporary" measures with TfL, etc.
Based on current trends with hospitalisations being reported by NHS England the balance has got to be moving towards the current restrictions not being renewed at end of January and thus the guidance to WFH will likely be toned down if not removed. Demand on core commuter routes will then rapidly return to at least the pre Omicron levels as to how much further it goes isn't clear but for sure the high peak on Waterloo concourse is consigned to history. This is no bad thing in a way as the infrastructure and rolling stock was being pushed to the limit so better to have a slightly lower service that runs like clockwork day day out.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Anyone any idea when the timetables are going to be published? It's getting a bit silly now.

dingdinger

New timetable is online now. I'd imagine omicron/staff shortages is being used as an excuse for the larger problem which is the stock shortage.

Bessie

New timetable is online now. I'd imagine omicron/staff shortages is being used as an excuse for the larger problem which is the stock shortage.
Monday to Friday has been published. SWR are still working on Saturday/Sunday from 22 Jan. In the SWR Metro thread yesterday there was reference to the SWR press release about retention of some Class 707s until August as a result of delays with 701 introduction. Until WFH guidance changes then I can see a lot of trains carrying fresh air for now. My SWR train to Reading yesterday (08.47 off Martins Heron) was almost empty - one other person in my carriage.

dingdinger

Monday to Friday has been published. SWR are still working on Saturday/Sunday from 22 Jan. In the SWR Metro thread yesterday there was reference to the SWR press release about retention of some Class 707s until August as a result of delays with 701 introduction. Until WFH guidance changes then I can see a lot of trains carrying fresh air for now. My SWR train to Reading yesterday (08.47 off Martins Heron) was almost empty - one other person in my carriage.
Id guess they have cut some of the busier services such as early Hounslow to London trains (earliest previously arrived 06:09 -new timetable will be 07:26), but some of the quieter services like you mention will be kept. What will happen in August when the 707s go off and the 701s inevitably still not in service if the timetable does not meet demand?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'd imagine omicron/staff shortages is being used as an excuse for the larger problem which is the stock shortage.
Imagined or not, it’s been suggested in so many SWR threads already it might have been subliminally assumed…

Goldfish62

Established Member
Weekends now published. Reading line is unchanged, ie as per Pre-Covid.

The weekday Reading line timetable appears to be the same one as used in the three lockdowns and actually has more peak hour trains than now, but shuts up shop earlier because SWR don't want us going out at night. ;)

davews

You are right on the Reading line, they have re-introduced the evening peaks and the Vauxhall/Ashford stoppers. Not a reduction at all... (but maybe they will all be 5 coaches?).

MontyP

The SWR site is no longer responding.
Seems to be working ok now.

"Key timetable changes include:

• The Waterloo to Exeter services will split at Salisbury
  • The Waterloo to Weymouth services will split at Bournemouth
  • The Shepperton branch will reduce to hourly
  • Waterloo to Alton will reduce to hourly
  • Waterloo to Basingstoke will reduce to hourly
  • The last train of each day will be earlier than at present "

Spongthrush

"Key timetable changes include:

• The last train of each day will be earlier than at present "

Am I reading it correctly that on weekdays from 17-Jan the last train out of Waterloo for Winchester and Southampton will be the 2235? That stuffs nearly everyone going to football matches in the evening.

Sat and Sun seem ok, thankfully.

On Moderation
Weekends now published. Reading line is unchanged, ie as per Pre-Covid.

The weekday Reading line timetable appears to be the same one as used in the three lockdowns and actually has more peak hour trains than now, but shuts up shop earlier because SWR don't want us going out at night. ;)
How brain dead are SWR? They put back in peak services whilst the WFH restrictions are in place, then take them out when more people are travelling. Just how stupid is that?

ABDeltic

Am I reading it correctly that on weekdays from 17-Jan the last train out of Waterloo for Winchester and Southampton will be the 2235? That stuffs nearly everyone going to football matches in the evening.

Yes it looks that way. Also a big gap from 2100 to 2235. The Salisbury line doesn't seem to be as badly affected as The Southampton line.

Xavi

Reductions in Exeter area are a disgrace. Services are as busy as ever. Cuts will cause difficulties for business and students. Devon is not London.

Fiyero

And the theatre! I always get the 23:05 (as I don't like rushing for the earlier one and would rather comfortably get on). Looks like that is OK for Saturdays but I have a Tuesday and a couple of Fridays coming up!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Id guess they have cut some of the busier services such as early Hounslow to London trains (earliest previously arrived 06:09 -new timetable will be 07:26), but some of the quieter services like you mention will be kept. What will h perhaps there army any and they just am removed the not.appen in August when the 707s go off and the 701s inevitably still not in service if the timetable does not meet demand?
Why would they want to cut busier services and keep quieter ones?

I was on the 19:33 Clapham Junction to Alton, followed by 20:13 Woking to Guildford and the second of the two services was definitely busier.

Not to the extent of overcrowding. Of course, one doesn't want overcrowding with Omicron, given it's so transmissible.

So whilst running fewer services that surely needs to be kept in mind.

I looked up Monday 17th earlier for Guildford to Woking and it said services may still not be showing correctly in the journey planners. I couldn't see any changes for services around 2 pm. Perhaps there weren't any.

alastair

Reductions in Exeter area are a disgrace. Services are as busy as ever. Cuts will cause difficulties for business and students. Devon is not London.
Indeed, the new service to Salisbury and Exeter is incredibly poor. Compulsory change and 20 min wait at Salisbury even at peak times. Only 2 hourly west of Salisbury with a gap in the evening of over 2.5 hrs at Honiton. This "joke" service cannot be sustainable for more than a few weeks surely? Revenue west of Salisbury will be decimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.