• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
They are, yes. The same style as GWR so rough rather than soft, but hopefully at least look better than the flat cloth.
Interesting. But unfortunately somewhat too little too late, given that the flat cloth has now been fitted across all Desiro units, the rebuilt 458s, some 158/9s and the brand new Arterio's. Perhaps, given the length of time taken to get them into service, the Arterio's will need new cushions regardless!

Still, I don't understand First Group's aversion to traditional Moquette. At least that works, was easier to clean and keep soft. One reason why I prefer the 158s and 159/1s which retain the SWT interiors.

RichSwitch

The flat cloth (or “ironing board covers” as I call it), is looking very grubby on many of the 450s I’ve been on. Partly I assume because of the lack of small tables similar to those that the CIGs used to have. Passengers balance their coffees on seats instead.

A change of material will have a minor positive impact on perception. But it won’t improve performance.