• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's because SWR are doing the Desiro repaints 'in-house' themselves which means only Bournemouth is available .
TOC's will often use contractors such as Northern using Arriva train care. As Arriva operate across multiple sites (Crew, Eastleigh, Bristol etc.) 5 units can be taken off having their internal and externals done at the same time dramatically reducing time taken.
I hope that makes sense! :)
Thanks for the explanation!

I do recall that when the programme started it was reported as being planned to take three years. However covid and social distancing have got in the way without seemingly any solution to enable painting to be sped up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dan15812

Thanks for the explanation!

I do recall that when the programme started it was reported as being planned to take three years. However covid and social distancing have got in the way without seemingly any solution to enable painting to be sped up.
I agree, it would be nice if SWR could hire out the Arriva paintshop at Eastleigh to speed up the process. That's easier said then done of course. But It would then mean units could be sent to both Eastleigh or Bournemouth drastically cutting time given!

pompeyfan

Established Member
For me I don’t really care what colour the train is, however one benefit of the repaint is that any blown glazing is being repaired. No more water features!

Goldfish62

Established Member
For me I don’t really care what colour the train is, however one benefit of the repaint is that any blown glazing is being repaired. No more water features!
They're being repainted because the paint is worn out, not just for the sake of it to change livery.

Dan15812

Updated - 02/03/21

SWR Desiro Repaints:

444s

002, 003, 005*, 006, 007, 011, 012, 014, 015, 016, 017, 018, 019, 021, 023, 024, 027, 029, 030, 031, 032, 037, 038 and 042 (23 units)(51% complete)

450s

006, 018, 020, 021, 025*, 027, 026, 036, 039, 043, 048, 056, 101, 107, 113, 119 and 127 (16 units)(13% complete)

Feel free to let me know of any more repainted Desiros

Note: (* = Currently being done)

444040 and 450111 have had vinyl wrap (not been painted)

**Unfortunately do not have the ability to edit the list when required. This means it may not show correct information.

Please see latest post, for more up-to-date information on desiro repaints. Thanks

Helvellyn

Established Member
I agree, it would be nice if SWR could hire out the Arriva paintshop at Eastleigh to speed up the process. That's easier said then done of course. But It would then mean units could be sent to both Eastleigh or Bournemouth drastically cutting time given!
I am not singling you out as others have asked why they don't do X, but hiring out Eastleigh is additional expenditure. The whole rail network has been subsidised to the cost of billions in the last year and it won't change soon. SWR is traditionally profitable (i.e. no subsidy) but in the current climate the DfT isn't going to allow additional costs to be incurred over what was budgeted for to progress repainting to be done quicker.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I am not singling you out as others have asked why they don't do X, but hiring out Eastleigh is additional expenditure. The whole rail network has been subsidised to the cost of billions in the last year and it won't change soon. SWR is traditionally profitable (i.e. no subsidy) but in the current climate the DfT isn't going to allow additional costs to be incurred over what was budgeted for to progress repainting to be done quicker.
Although of course the programme is running at half the speed of what was planned due to Covid due to, as I understand from this forum, limited staff being able to work at the same time. Surely increasing volume back to that planned by using an additional facility isn't going to necessarily result in increased costs.

Taking a particular large bus operator as an example, their repaint programme was severely disrupted last year, but the contractor is now working at double speed to catch up. I doubt if it's costing the operator any more than originally planned.

Bigfoot

Although of course the programme is running at half the speed of what was planned due to Covid due to, as I understand from this forum, limited staff being able to work at the same time. Surely increasing volume back to that planned by using an additional facility isn't going to necessarily result in increased costs.

Taking a particular large bus operator as an example, their repaint programme was severely disrupted last year, but the contractor is now working at double speed to catch up. I doubt if it's costing the operator any more than originally planned.

SWR would incur extra leasing costs for the facilities at Eastleigh, given they already own the paint shop at Bournemouth. Also who says that Eastleigh has the availability in their booths to undertake the work?

Goldfish62

Established Member
SWR would incur extra leasing costs for the facilities at Eastleigh, given they already own the paint shop at Bournemouth. Also who says that Eastleigh has the availability in their booths to undertake the work?
I think you're confusing my post with another one. I didn't mention Eastleigh. I was just making a general point based on the fact that the programme is running at half speed.

4REP

57 pendolinos repainted over last 2 years compared to a small number of desiros it's more like 1/4 speed

Bigfoot

I think you're confusing my post with another one. I didn't mention Eastleigh. I was just making a general point based on the fact that the programme is running at half speed.
Ok.

Remove the word Eastleigh and insert "loco haul/road haulage costs to other place in country plus the cost of their manpower and facilities at which ever location is chosen"

It's still added costs wherever in the country they are taken.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Ok.

Remove the word Eastleigh and insert "loco haul/road haulage costs to other place in country plus the cost of their manpower and facilities at which ever location is chosen"

It's still added costs wherever in the country they are taken.
So SWR is somehow unique in not being to able to take measures to correct a programme which is not going as planned?

On another thread we were told quite categorically that the 707s would not be reliveried when they moved to SE because the DfT would never sanction the spend. Then, inevitably, SE confirmed they were going to be reliveried.

Bigfoot

On another thread we were told quite categorically that the 707s would not be reliveried when they moved to SE because the DfT would never sanction the spend. Then, inevitably, SE confirmed they were going to be reliveried.
Of course whatever is posted here with the word categorically will always be the truth.

Bn2020

From a customer point of view the fleet is progressively turning battleship grey. It certainly feels like there is 1 set in each 450 formation these days. The 444s seem to be predominantly battleship, from what I see. At lest the acid-yellow ends add some element of interest.

Personally, I like the interior refurb, the flat cloth looks much smarter and wears better than the red moquette. The 444s, in particular, look very smart and must be one of the most comfortable "inter-city"-type trains on the network.

Goldfish62

Established Member
From a customer point of view the fleet is progressively turning battleship grey. It certainly feels like there is 1 set in each 450 formation these days. The 444s seem to be predominantly battleship, from what I see. At lest the acid-yellow ends add some element of interest.

Personally, I like the interior refurb, the flat cloth looks much smarter and wears better than the red moquette. The 444s, in particular, look very smart and must be one of the most comfortable "inter-city"-type trains on the network.
Yes, I really like the internal refurbishment despite it being scaled back. It may also be unfashionable, but I also like the livery, particularly on the 450s. When they were new the blue was bright and vibrant, but it quickly faded to look rather drab.

Bigfoot

The new moquette is hit and miss, if if has something spilt on it, it will leave a mark due to its flat nature. The red moquette was slightly more forgiving, although that just meant it was cleaned less as the dirt stayed hidden.

Also there are so many broken first class accessible flap tables that are broken off or breaking. I wait to see if a new table design is seen as the current one will always be susceptible to damage both malicious and accidental.

lewisf

Yes, I really like the internal refurbishment despite it being scaled back. It may also be unfashionable, but I also like the livery, particularly on the 450s. When they were new the blue was bright and vibrant, but it quickly faded to look rather drab.

I agree, the repainted 450s look great but that’s mainly because they were so faded and drab before, especially compared to the 455s that got repainted a few years ago.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I agree, the repainted 450s look great but that’s mainly because they were so faded and drab before, especially compared to the 455s that got repainted a few years ago.
I think one thing that isn't great on the livery is having the yellow stripe so low down where it unavoidably attracts dirt. Perhaps it would have been better raised up as a divider between the dark and light colours.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Similar to NXEC - not one mark 4 painted.only 1 class 91 but only 13 HST Were done
The difference with SWR is that the units need a scheduled repaint given its up to 18 years since they received their first coat of protective paintwork. With NXEC it was a cosmetic livery change.

U.444005 is off repaint and back into service today, currently working together with U.444030 :

1W57 0800 WA/BM
1W54 1022 BM/WA
1W67 1300 WA/BM
1W64 1522 BM/WA
1W77 1800 WA/BM

Dan15812

Updated - 30/03/21

As far as aware currently on site are 444025 and 450023.

SWR Desiro Repaints:

444s

002, 003, 005, 006, 007, 011, 012, 014, 015, 016, 017, 018, 019, 021, 023, 024, 025*, 027, 029, 030, 031, 032, 037, 038 and 042 (24 units)(53% complete)

450s

006, 018, 020, 021, 023*, 025, 027, 026, 036, 039, 043, 048, 056, 101, 107, 113, 119 and 127 (17 units)(13% complete)

Feel free to let me know of any more repainted Desiros

Note: (* = Currently being done)

444040 and 450111 have had vinyl wrap (not been painted)

**Unfortunately do not have the ability to edit the list when required. This means it may not show correct information. Please see latest post, for more up-to-date information on desiro repaints. Cheers.