• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR station repaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
SWR and Network Rail: Wessex have announced plans for a new footbridge including a lift for Liphook station. Give me a few moments and I’ll add a link!

edit: https://www.networkrailmediacentre....ook-station-in-2021-with-new-steel-footbridge

Heavy metal comes to Liphook station in 2021 with new steel footbridge​

Region & Route: Southern: Wessex| Southern
Passengers will benefit from better access to Liphook station in Hampshire after Network Rail replaces the footbridge.

The station on the Portsmouth line which carries passengers to Portsmouth Harbour and London Waterloo has two platforms and will remain open during the work for critical workers any anyone else who must travel .

The fully enclosed bridge will feature one lift on each of the two platforms to provide step-free access between platforms for disabled passengers, people with pushchairs and cyclists.

The age and condition of the old bridge means it can’t do its job much longer so it is being replaced with a much more durable, modern steel structure. Construction of the new bridge is expected to be complete by the end of August 2021.

Sustainability is at the heart of the project, with a solar-powered generator used to power the site accommodation. The project team also worked with ecologists to relocate slow worms onto nearby land and are reusing excavated earth from the railway cutting, rather than bringing in new materials.

Andrew Magee, senior asset engineer for Network Rail Wessex, said: “I am very grateful to passengers for their patience whilst we carry out this essential work to the footbridge at Liphook station.
“While the new bridge is being built, the existing footbridge will remain open for passengers to use the station. Work is progressing well and when complete, the new bridge will better serve the people of the area for decades to come.”
Michael Adlington, accessibility and inclusion manager at South Western Railway, said: “We’re really pleased that Liphook will soon have step-free access to each platform. The new footbridge will provide a sheltered and safer route between platforms, with the new lifts providing step-free access to all customers who require it.
"We hope that our customers, and soon-to-be customers, will enjoy the benefits of this much needed addition to the station for years to come.”
During the project, engineers will install new lighting and CCTV to the footbridge and also locally widen the platforms around the new bridge via the construction of new retaining walls behind the platforms.

As work is being undertaken on operational platforms, the team are working with BTP, Land Sheriffs and SWR to keep passengers safe when travelling through the station and around the construction site.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

traji00

Ascot & Berrylands have been done, and Wandsworth Town was also receiving a lick of paint yesterday.

lsdghasu

Fleet has received a small lick of paint by the looks of it. Seen in this video
you can see the blue bands on the light posts.

Kingston Dan

On a related topic - are there any plans to fix the station clock at Surbiton? The hands broke in last February's storms and haven't been repaired. It's a grade 2 listed building and that comes with various enforecable responsibilities.

dorsetdesiro

The new SWR colour scheme for its stations is very similiar to Southeastern's - all grey with dark blue bands. I did think it was a Govia "thing" as Southern has the same though with dark green bands.

Pity the new colour scheme looks rather dull however cost effective but the stick-on blue bands already were peeling off so these had to be painted on in the end.

I do remember the all-over bold Stagecoach blue that was used in between the NSE red and previous white-dark blue schemes. If First-MTR really wanted to save on cost they perhaps should retain the previous white-dark blue and leave unchanged. I learnt that wasn't a SWT scheme but an attempt at an unified "National Rail" scheme that other TOCs never took on.

I'd like to see SWR to go for grey for the upper part of columns and paint lower parts in dark blue instead of all grey with dark blue bands to be different to SE and Southern.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
IIRC the proposal for a national standard “white on dark blue” only actually applied to the station name boards. It was a recommendation in the 2009 “better stations report” by Chris Green for the DfT.

387star

On Moderation
Romsey is now having the finishing touches applied with the painted blue bands
The seats and station name board posts remain green.

Is there a list of what stations have stick on blue bands?

Fareham Eastleigh Havant Rowlands Castle and Fratton all do and look shabby as a result

Bitterne Burseldon Swanwick Netley and Hamble I presume do as they were repainted around the same time but no peeling is evident

Dan15812

Are all SWR stations going to be painted? As according to a press article, it stated that only 15 stations in Hampshire were set to be painted which isn't that many.
I hope Southampton Ctl, Salisbury and Winchester get done inside and out, they are quiet tired looking in need of a lick of paint.

I can confirm, Bitterne Burseldon Swanwick Netley and Hamble have got blue vinyl bands.

Dan15812

Also, I believe Totton was being done, haven't seen it in detail but driven past it. Has blue bands applied to the NR sign.

It has steel galvanised lampposts like Redbridge so I expect it will just bands applied. With the doors and canopy poles painted.

Last edited:

Dan15812

As I'm told, the SWR station repaint programme is due to start the next phase soon with 40 station's as part of the programme. Southampton ctl, Salisbury and Winchester included on the list. Watch this space!

WesternBiker

I was at Malden Manor the other day: lamp-posts are in the new colours (but beginning to look tatty now) but the station canopy is in cream and a rather brighter blue.

8D3C13C7-86CD-4ED3-B840-F005A3310DBA_1_105_c.jpeg

Lifelong

On a related topic - are there any plans to fix the station clock at Surbiton? The hands broke in last February's storms and haven't been repaired. It's a grade 2 listed building and that comes with various enforecable responsibilities.
Just walked past it and the (right) time was on show - no idea how recently they’d repaired it…

Lymington Town is due a repaint shortly and will remain in heritage colours

Sprinter158

Axminster station has now been repainted

Attachments

• AA190F70-51E8-4D05-BFFA-83002816DD20.jpeg
    AA190F70-51E8-4D05-BFFA-83002816DD20.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 113

traji00

…and now St. Margarets.

(edit: some painting had started)

Last edited:
Status