• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Advances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentish Paul

Hi all,

Have just booked (and received) first class advance from Waterloo to Yeovil Junction on 7th June. Cost (with senior railcard) £13.20. Excellent.

However, as i'm travellig from Ashford International I was wondering why there were no SWT+connection advances available. I know Southeastern have a monopoly in Kent and have no advances as a result, but i can get advances from Ashford with other TOC's to far away places.

A little dearer coming back as i left it a bit late. A whole £19.35 first class !

Journey to Waterloo sorted. Its nice hitting 60. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You'd have to ask SWT that question.

Perhaps they aren't interested in providing them, or perhaps Southeastern don't want to co-operate or maybe the two Companies just couldn't agree on the share of revenue.

455driver

Veteran Member
So basically another example of how Privytisation has been good for the customer, not!

Kentish Paul

You'd have to ask SWT that question.

Perhaps they aren't interested in providing them, or perhaps Southeastern don't want to co-operate or maybe the two Companies just couldn't agree on the share of revenue.

Maybe so. It just seems odd that I can get good deals from Ashford to various other parts of the country but not down to SWT land.

For example, could get from Ashford to Yeovil Junction last year for nearly half the price of a direct off peak return. (No advances).

This meant using a via Barnham ticket to Southampton, then continuing via Salisbury (split tickets at Southampton). Only an hour extra, and lunch at Southampton. Also for few coins extra you could go via Dorchester and Pen Mill. (Pen Mill a bit more conveniant for me and 444 travel to Dorchester :|.)

Just shows to do some planning.

Lrd

Established Member
I've not looked but are there any SWT+Connections tickets at all, inc other operators?

lemonic

I've not looked but are there any SWT+Connections tickets at all, inc other operators?

This is what I was wondering. I am not aware of any.
If Southeastern don't price any Advance fares at all and South West Trains don't price any SWT+Connections tickets, then this seems to be the most likely explanation for the lack of through Advance fares.

alex17595

This is what I was wondering. I am not aware of any.
If Southeastern don't price any Advance fares at all and South West Trains don't price any SWT+Connections tickets, then this seems to be the most likely explanation for the lack of through Advance fares.
There is some fares such as a Exeter-Ealing Broadway has SWT+Connections.

Kentish Paul

Thanks people,

Is it a one way thing ? Can you leave SWT territory with a + connections ticket but not enter it ? Surely not.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Well the flow I've found is definitely reversible, i.e. from Cambridge it is still an SWT + Conn according to BRFares, as is Cambridge to Exeter St D via Honiton...

It seems if there is a 'Southeastern Gap' it might be down to SE rather than SWT...

alex17595

There seems to be no advances to SE destinations outside of zones 1-6.

If you don't mind going the long way round there is a £15 RTN Ashford-Salisbury via Barnham or £24 for first class.

TEW

Established Member
There is some fares such as a Exeter-Ealing Broadway has SWT+Connections.

Available the other way round too. So SWT London destinations to FGW destinations in Devon. Woking-Paignton for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.