• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taunton to London commuting

Status
Not open for further replies.

S7evio

My work means I need to travel around the country about once a week by train, the rest of the time I work from home
The day is normally around 6hrs at site
The work is normally in major cities, often London, but others such as Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff, Bournemouth etc

I currently live in Wiltshire with about 1hr 30m to Paddington and good links north and south
I am considering a move to be closer to family in the South West, but would like to retain a rail link for work into London and the rest of the country
Being closer to the beach and moors would also be preferred as that currently takes about 1hr 30m

Researching I have come across Taunton
It seems to have a 1hr 45m journey into London and good links North
Also 30m to Burnham on Sea beach and Quantock Hills moorland

Does anyone live in this area and could comment on what it is like?
Has anyone done the Taunton to London commute?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Master29

Established Member
My work means I need to travel around the country about once a week by train, the rest of the time I work from home
The day is normally around 6hrs at site
The work is normally in major cities, often London, but others such as Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff, Bournemouth etc

I currently live in Wiltshire with about 1hr 30m to Paddington and good links north and south
I am considering a move to be closer to family in the South West, but would like to retain a rail link for work into London and the rest of the country
Being closer to the beach and moors would also be preferred as that currently takes about 1hr 30m

Researching I have come across Taunton
It seems to have a 1hr 45m journey into London and good links North
Also 30m to Burnham on Sea beach and Quantock Hills moorland

Does anyone live in this area and could comment on what it is like?
Has anyone done the Taunton to London commute?

Thanks
As you say 1 hr 45 is about the fastest I think but it's a decent trip. If you're talking weekly I'd say it sounds a good option considering Wiltshire isn't that much nearer time wise depending of course where you are. Burnham of course is much closer to Bristol which has a regular service too.

Veteran Member
Can't comment on the commute, but if Westbury rather than Chippenham or Pewsey is your mainline railhead, then Bournemouth and other South Coast destinations are significantly less easy from Taunton; otherwise Taunton is as good or better (or will be when XC gets back to normal).

S7evio

As you say 1 hr 45 is about the fastest I think but it's a decent trip. If you're talking weekly I'd say it sounds a good option considering Wiltshire isn't that much nearer time wise depending of course where you are. Burnham of course is much closer to Bristol which has a regular service too.
Thanks, Burnham (seems the closest beach timewise to Taunton) and moors would be leisure and by car as the train is for work and I get the train refunded

S7evio

Can't comment on the commute, but if Westbury rather than Chippenham or Pewsey is your mainline railhead, then Bournemouth and other South Coast destinations are significantly less easy from Taunton; otherwise Taunton is as good or better (or will be when XC gets back to normal).
Yes, I had noticed Bournemouth was difficult from Taunton, but seems training it to Bournemouth isn't easy from most places, so I would just drive for that one

Not for Bournemouth necessarily, but the M5 running around Taunton should hopefully make car journeys quicker depending on traffic, I'm miles form a motorway currently and should give me a straight run to Plymouth where my family is

What's up with XC?
Routes North from Taunton via XC would likely mean a direct rather than the current change at BTM, which seems to save a significant amount of time

cambsy

On Moderation
I live near Taunton way, about 30 mins away by car, I haven’t done a commute as such to London, but the journey times are not too bad, approx 75-80 mins non stop to Reading, about 105 mins to London, heading north on Cross Country trains its 30 mins to Bristol non stop, 1 hr 15 mins to Cheltenham, 2hrs 15 approx to Birmingham, then onto Leeds-York-Newcastle and Edinburgh, South West bound its about 30 mins to Exeter. 90 mins to Plymouth approx, Penzance about 3 and half hours, if drive its about 2 hrs 15 mins, so good transport links, and nice rural area, with also nice towns and cities.

If one moved towards Tiverton-Cullompton etc, then Honiton is easy drive to, for using the Exeter-Salisbury-London line, which would open up even more travel options, and is cheaper option than the main Line to London, its good area to live in and I’d recommend it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What time do you have to be in Central London? And who picks up the tab on the ticket costs? Anytime returns (with or without Travelcard add ons) look pricey!

S7evio

I live near Taunton way, about 30 mins away by car, I haven’t done a commute as such to London, but the journey times are not too bad, approx 75-80 mins non stop to Reading, about 105 mins to London, heading north on Cross Country trains its 30 mins to Bristol non stop, 1 hr 15 mins to Cheltenham, 2hrs 15 approx to Birmingham, then onto Leeds-York-Newcastle and Edinburgh, South West bound its about 30 mins to Exeter. 90 mins to Plymouth approx, Penzance about 3 and half hours, if drive its about 2 hrs 15 mins, so good transport links, and nice rural area, with also nice towns and cities.

If one moved towards Tiverton-Cullompton etc, then Honiton is easy drive to, for using the Exeter-Salisbury-London line, which would open up even more travel options, and is cheaper option than the main Line to London, its good area to live in and I’d recommend it.
Thanks for this extensive reply it really helps :)

That's a really good idea to live between the two lines. I'm just looking at where that might be best. I note that the Waterloo route into London is quite a bit slower than Taunton to London Paddington (fastest route)

S7evio

What time do you have to be in Central London? And who picks up the tab on the ticket costs? Anytime returns (with or without Travelcard add ons) look pricey!
Normally around 0830 but 0900 arrival is fine, the first fast service from Taunton

Then back sometime 1600-1800, again a couple of fast services back to Taunton

My work pays the travel, I do split ticketing to keep costs as low as I can as I pass the costs on, but don't want them to be put off by the costs. But its factored into the budget for the project, so normal to reimburse

westv

Established Member
1' 45" Taunton to London? That over an hour quicker than my Hull to London journey which is only about 40 miles further away!

Veteran Member
1' 45" Taunton to London? That over an hour quicker than my Hull to London journey which is only about 40 miles further away!
I make it 55-65 miles, depending on route.

Back on topic: my comment on XC was because they are currently operating only 1tph through Taunton, and it seems that won't change for at least 6 months, possibly a year.

S7evio

I make it 55-65 miles, depending on route.

Back on topic: my comment on XC was because they are currently operating only 1tph through Taunton, and it seems that won't change for at least 6 months, possibly a year.
Thanks, what is the reason for this?

Grecian 1998

If you haven't been there before, I'd strongly suggest visiting Burnham to make sure it's what you're looking for in a beach - the Bristol Channel has a massive tidal range and for large parts of the day the sea is barely visible. The water quality is permanently poor due to being the confluence of several rivers.

Dawlish and Teignmouth are doable by train from Taunton in about an hour (less if you can find a direct one) and the tidal range is much lower, so the sea is never far off. Weymouth wouldn't be too far away if you can find good connections at Castle Cary, although that's easier said that done.

The Quantocks are nice though.

XC aren't running 1tph through Taunton exactly - SW of Bristol it's more like 1tph but with 2 hourly gaps. On Sundays it's more like 2 hourly with extras. You can get a stopping service between Taunton and Bristol but it takes half an hour longer plus connecting times.

I believe XC have found running fewer but longer trains has alleviated most of their overcrowding, although the services I've been on recently are getting increasingly full.

irish_rail

Established Member
I believe XC have found running fewer but longer trains has alleviated most of their overcrowding, although the services I've been on recently are getting increasingly full.
Agree completely. Makes you wonder why they ever went down the operation Princess route of tiny trains all the time in the first place. Longer trains, a little less often has been a success for XC id say, I haven't yet experienced overcrowding on one since covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.