• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taxi Entitlement With "Split" Tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpus63

I am sure that this issue must have been raised before so forgive me if I am duplicating it.

I fairly often make a day trip journey from Welshpool to James Street in Liverpool. The through fare is considerably dearer than booking a return W'Pool - Shrewsbury, then another return ticket from Shrewsbury to Chester and finally the same on the Merseyrail service Chester to James Street. This saves me a few quid.

However I always got the impression that by buying one ticket for the entire journey gave you certain rights and priviliges if, for example, on the return leg in the evening there were delays that prevented me from catching the last train from Shrewsbury to Welshpool. OR does the fact that I have a ticket for that leg, even though separate from the others, entitle me to a railway-funded taxi in the event of delays just the same?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Your entitlement to protection under the NRCoT is the same, as you hold a valid ticket or combination of tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
See previous threads on the subject; you have exactly the same rights regardless.

It is, however, a good idea to obtain a through itinerary, from an accredited ticket splitting website, which may be useful in the unlikely event of any dispute.

If a train company denied your rights to use two or more tickets for one journey, the company you bought the tickets from should help you and I know that many split ticket retailers will do just that, if you bought from them the tickets as one journey.

Out of interest, who gave you the impression you lose rights by doing this?

Grumpus63

See previous threads on the subject; you have exactly the same rights regardless.

It is, however, a good idea to obtain a through itinerary, from an accredited ticket splitting website, which may be useful in the unlikely event of any dispute.

If a train company denied your rights to use two or more tickets for one journey, the company you bought the tickets from should help you and I know that many split ticket retailers will do just that, if you bought from them the tickets as one journey.

Out of interest, who gave you the impression you lose rights by doing this?
Thanks. Nobody official gave me that impression, it was probably the result of chatter with some associates a few years back where the germ of "loss of entitlement" possibility entered my mind.

Your entitlement to protection under the NRCoT is the same, as you hold a valid ticket or combination of tickets.
Thank you.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rail Delivery Group issued a staff brief on 10 January 2020, following the launch of Trainline's Splitsave:

Even some train companies offer to split your ticket now; LNER do this, but not as well as Trainsplit.

The rights to alternative transportation, delay repay etc all remain unchanged.

But it can be problematic when booking your own splits (not through an accredited site) if the timetable changes and you don't have a copy of a valid itinerary at the time of booking. I've known cases where trains were retimed to no longer connect.

I therefore prefer to have it all on one booking, and having e-tickets where all tickets are on one PDF is very handy too, so I would definitely consider booking through an officially accredited site.

Grumpus63

Rail Delivery Group issued a staff brief on 10 January 2020, following the launch of Trainline's Splitsave:

Even some train companies offer to split your ticket now; LNER do this, but not as well as Trainsplit.

The rights to alternative transportation, delay repay etc all remain unchanged.

But it can be problematic when booking your own splits (not through an accredited site) if the timetable changes and you don't have a copy of a valid itinerary at the time of booking. I've known cases where trains were retimed to no longer connect.

I therefore prefer to have it all on one booking, and having e-tickets where all tickets are on one PDF is very handy too, so I would definitely consider booking through an officially accredited site.
All of this is very useful and informative.

SirAlf

I can confirm after yesterday that split tickets and a taxi home are a valid combination.

I bought split tickets from Gobowen to Chesterfield via RailEasy Ticket Split, my train last night from Shrewsbury to Birmingham was cancelled meaning I missed the last trains Birmingham – Derby and Derby – Chesterfield. When I finally got to Birmingham customer services there arranged the taxi to Chesterfield, didn't bat an eyelid at my itinerary involving ticket splitting, neither did the chap at Shrewsbury

Grumpus63

I can confirm after yesterday that split tickets and a taxi home are a valid combination.

I bought split tickets from Gobowen to Chesterfield via RailEasy Ticket Split, my train last night from Shrewsbury to Birmingham was cancelled meaning I missed the last trains Birmingham – Derby and Derby – Chesterfield. When I finally got to Birmingham customer services there arranged the taxi to Chesterfield, didn't bat an eyelid at my itinerary involving ticket splitting, neither did the chap at Shrewsbury
Most reassuring

Status
Not open for further replies.