• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Teaching a lesson about the railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

Hello all, my science teacher knows about my love of the railways and all things related, and so has asked me to plan and take one of our classes lessons to teach them about the railways.

While I know that I will get the p*ss taken out of me for doing it, I couldnt care and I think this is a good idea (and hey, I get the p*ss taken out of me anyway so why not?).

I was wondering, as a lesson is only an hour long, what could I do during the time? What particular subject/area should I do it on? Should I just do a presentation or should I get them to do an activity? If so, what? Is there anyway to keep them entertained or to try to get them to like railways even just a little bit?

Any help gladly appreciated (think that spelling is wrong)

TIA Callum :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

michael769

Established Member
The obvious one is something on safety something related to trespass, station safety or crossings - a major issue for the railways.

Network rail is hot on this issue, and I know that they have outreach schemes, and if is not too short notice it might be worth getting in touch to see if they would be interested in helping by providing some materials for the lesson.

Zamracene749

Perhaps a mention of how the football leagues developed along with rail travel?
Or the availability of well known food such as fish and chips?
Plus a mention of the critical part played over the years in moving troops and armour?
Even seaside resorts and holidays?
Plus a little bit about top speeds and power and luxury travel for the Top gear crowd?

Hopefully these subjects might hold the class attention for a few minutes at least. Good luck!

Lrd

Established Member
You need to do something that involves the class, do something your normal teacher wouldn't do and open their minds up to what the railways actually do.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You also have to bear in mind that planning for an hour is a bad move and that in reality hour lessons are only likely to produce 45 minutes of productivity. Approximately 10 mins for registration and starter and 5 mins for packing up at the end.

TP

Mvann

If its a science lesson, you could pick up on the standardisation of time, stopping distances, how potential energy is converted to movement, use of magnets in safety systems and track circuits to name but a few.

cjp

Since it is your science teacher that has made the "request" how about bringing a bit of physics continuous beams and friction - which is why trains do not go up and down hills like cars.
Or electricity - motors and track circuits.
Or simple things like expansion and welded tracks

Others have suggested history and geography and economics and trespass & safety and if you go for the latter why not also bring up a bit about needing to pay for the correct ticket and the consequences if one does not. :roll:

Can you use audio visual aids - clips from the internet?

There is so much you could touch upon so I suggest you ask then for two one hour slots:)

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
In primary science, I would teach an afternoon of science...

So I could cover a lot of the above in a cross-curricular manner (incorporating the history of the railway with the science of the OHLE or 3rd rail etc, with the geography of the railways) but in secondary science you don't get the time or the overlap...

I'd suggest application is what's needed. Otherwise you will lose interest of the vast majority of your class; especially if they make fun of you already.

The applications have been suggested already; use of electricity within the railway network and the benefits and downfalls of such electrification... You could then link that with an application to the classroom - why 3rd rail shouldn't be messed with. Why it's dangerous to steal copper wiring and the like.

There are so many ways in with such a big topic, I'd suggest looking at your current scheme of work. What year are you in? 9?

Bayum

Established Member
You also have to bear in mind that planning for an hour is a bad move and that in reality hour lessons are only likely to produce 45 minutes of productivity. Approximately 10 mins for registration and starter and 5 mins for packing up at the end.

TP

In primary teaching we use 15 minutes for a mental/oral starter, ten minutes input, thirty minutes learning, ten minutes plenary.

In secondary though it will very much be teaching for fifteen minutes, 40-45 minutes teaching.

Crossover

Established Member
Given the nature of the lesson, I think the science aspect is certainly something for consideration. Furthering the thought of the rail-wheel interface and how metal to metal generally = less than ideal, maybe how leaves and other things reduces friction further. I'm sure there is a lot of an educational potential in something like this, applying it to real life. Also the kinetic energy...stopping a few hundred tonne train is no easy job even once it is moving!

Heinz57

Safey is indeed a good subject.

But seeing as its a science lesson I'd go for something a bit more physics like. Pulling power, elastictrickery, stopping distances and so on.

It could actualy turn into a realy interesting lesson so your class mights won't make as much fun at you as you fear.

LE Greys

Established Member
How old are you and the rest of the class? I remember in 4th form (year 9) Physics doing a stop-motion analysis on the famous Peak/nuclear flask crash test, to try to calculate how much energy was involved in it. You would need to do a bit of research on the masses and velocities involved. I highly recommend you play the full-speed film with sound right at the beginning to get everyone's attention.

TrainBoy98

I'm in year 9 at the moment and we are all 13/14.

Thanks for all your input, there a lot of good ideas here I will try to use!

Status
Not open for further replies.