• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telegraph reporting 50-60% of services to be cut due to impact of covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
"Stay at home" ceases on 29th March so I'd expect an increase in passengers from then onwards.

With Tier 4 and then lockdown I've been incarcerated since before Christmas and on 29th March I'll be jumping on a train to somewhere, anywhere!

Very little changes on 29th train service wise. It’s not like many trains are running around crowded.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Very little changes on 29th train service wise. It’s not like many trains are running around crowded.
But one might expect an increase in passenger numbers from 29 March. Whether it's enough to justify additional trains straight away is another matter.

Goldfish62

Established Member
But one might expect an increase in passenger numbers from 29 March. Whether it's enough to justify additional trains straight away is another matter.
Yes, agreed. 12th April when outdoor hospitality reopens is probably the more relevant date especially for times of the day and week when people avail themselves of said hospitality, ie weekends and evenings.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Probably, although with schools on Easter holidays from then we would normally have a 10-20% drop in traffic. Net effect - Some routes will be busier, many will be quieter.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Probably, although with schools on Easter holidays from then we would normally have a 10-20% drop in traffic. Net effect - Some routes will be busier, many will be quieter.
Leisure trips up, commuting/work trips (what there are of them) down.

dk1

Veteran Member
Trains on my patch are noticeably busier peak & off peak this week. Lots of students travelling into Cambridge this morning & a healthy mix of what appears to be workers/business as well as leisure passengers this afternoon.

DDB

Very little happening then, timetable wise. Partly because it’s Easter week and lots of amendments in later that week.
EMR are adding (actually uncancelling) more services from the 29th but not moving back to a full timetable.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Very little happening then, timetable wise. Partly because it’s Easter week and lots of amendments in later that week.

TPE South reverting to hourly and Avanti reinstating the second Manchester to Euston.

Not insignificant events!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Avantis changes aren’t all in the system yet.

But even then on a network that in normal times runs 24,000 trains a day, an extra couple of trains an hour for a few operators is ‘very little’.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well 2 weeks after there might be a change. I don't mean massive changes but gradual increase.

So may be some trains from Reading to Gatwick Airport during the day. Unless they are more reliant on people wishing to fly.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yep! But not from London on the GEML though.
When doesn't the GEML have significant weekend work? It's a wonder there's anything left to do. :D

Well 2 weeks after there might be a change. I don't mean massive changes but gradual increase.

So may be some trains from Reading to Gatwick Airport during the day. Unless they are more reliant on people wishing to fly.
The current North Downs timetable of 1 tph all stations seems designed to put people off. No problem with that at the moment. However, I had planned to go for a day out walking in the Dorking area w/c 29th March, but will go elsewhere instead if the service level doesn't improve by then.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm on a rare Gatwick Airport to Guildford slow stopping service. I appreciate in normal times they run late at night but not often one gets to use one during the day.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts and from 19 April, there won't be a Sunday direct service from Gatwick Airport to Guildford.

I appricate this is running due to engineering works. Hopefully the numbers will return fairly soon once travel restrictions are eased more, so that the services become viable to be resumed.

In the mean time I'm enjoying this more unusual day time service. Betchworth and other stopping places get an hourly service too!

Is the reason there is no train from East Croydon to Clapham Junction before 6am due to lack of demand currently?

There are earlier trains but they all go to London Bridge or Bedford.

I was actually looking at how to reach Surbtion but prior to 6am, from Haywards Heath but you can't get a ticket as they recommend using the tram and I'm not even sure if the tram would run that early. I'm not looking for an answer to this, just explaining the background to this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.