• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telegraph reporting 50-60% of services to be cut due to impact of covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
I think the reconstruction of rail travel is going to take a good few years. Bedrock commuting and long distance inter-city travel is the driver of an awful lot of rail activity.

Modest increases on rural branch line services in say the west country or elsewhere hardly make a dent in the sustainabilty and affordability of the industry.

There has been , and will be , a major resetting of how people move around. And if you think it is bad for the railways , consider the airline industry ........

I do think a lot of rail use will come back, we were already seeing signs of it until lockdowns returned to being a thing.

Seeing the edge taken off the high peaks wouldn’t be such a bad thing in any case, as it could avoid the need for a lot of expensive capacity works.

I do think the railway will need a rethink on how it attempts to compete on quality though. Something like the 700 interior might be adequate as a distress purchase, but it’s not going to tempt people to travel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I do think a lot of rail use will come back, we were already seeing signs of it until lockdowns returned to being a thing.

Seeing the edge taken off the high peaks wouldn’t be such a bad thing in any case, as it could avoid the need for a lot of expensive capacity works.

I do think the railway will need a rethink on how it attempts to compete on quality though. Something like the 700 interior might be adequate as a distress purchase, but it’s not going to tempt people to travel.

Not sure - you may have got 40% of the off peak back in the hazy , crazy days of Summer when things were a bit easier and the weather good. The commuter flows - apart from those who really have no choice for survival - have tasted a different means of working and will be very tempted to mix and match with office / work. Leisure travel , long distance - jury out.

700 interiors - yes - worst ever possible design seating in the long term , but there is going to be no money to rebalance them. Not till at least mid life.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not sure - you may have got 40% of the off peak back in the hazy , crazy days of Summer when things were a bit easier and the weather good. The commuter flows - apart from those who really have no choice for survival - have tasted a different means of working and will be very tempted to mix and match with office / work. Leisure travel , long distance - jury out.

700 interiors - yes - worst ever possible design seating in the long term , but there is going to be no money to rebalance them. Not till at least mid life.

At least one will still be able to get an electrostar to Brighton !

bramling

Veteran Member

I suspect you’re probably right on the last point. It’s something the industry needs to think about for new orders though.

I guess the working from home will depend on to what extend firms embrace it. People can love it all they want, but if their employers don’t want it then it will be straight back to the office. The fact that some seem to want lockdowns to continue in order to extend their rolling work-from-home holiday suggests they think they will be back to the office when all this does end.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member

Ultimately, I think the railway industry as a whole will have to wait and see. Its a very difficult thing to predict, especially with the situation in the short term ever changing. I do think passenger usage reaching around 40% last summer briefly, is a small cause to be optimisitc, considering social distancing still being in place meaning offices were not operating at capacity and of course all the large summer, leisure events being cancelled, and some people still being scared to travel.

My personal view as the railway industry will have done extremely well if they manage to get passenger numbers to 80%. A more pesimistic view of mine is that it will only get to 60% max, and even that will take a year or two after the pandemic is over.

But ultimately, we will have to wait and see, the only advantage railways do have is climate agenda, as electric cars are still not widespread yet.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I suspect you’re probably right on the last point. It’s something the industry needs to think about for new orders though.

I guess the working from home will depend on to what extend firms embrace it. People can love it all they want, but if their employers don’t want it then it will be straight back to the office. The fact that some seem to want lockdowns to continue in order to extend their rolling work-from-home holiday suggests they think they will be back to the office when all this does end.

Not sustainable long term to work from home (unless you are a writer or a natural hermit) - to quote my much admired Geography lecturer "man is a gregrarious animal" - it might have been Weber - humans need interaction above the domestic bubble for all sorts of reasons , commuting is a pain (done more than enough - including running these wretched services !) , but it is a means to an end. Earning a living and some sort of intertface. Proper meetings may be a challenge - but you do not get the human touch on Zoom or email.

bramling

Veteran Member
Not sustainable long term to work from home (unless you are a writer or a natural hermit) - to quote my much admired Geography lecturer "man is a gregrarious animal" - it might have been Weber - humans need interaction above the domestic bubble for all sorts of reasons , commuting is a pain (done more than enough - including running these wretched services !) , but it is a means to an end. Earning a living and some sort of intertface. Proper meetings may be a challenge - but you do not get the human touch on Zoom or email.

It’s interesting that a lot of people at my place have become a lot more “chatty” recently. Drivers in particular seem utterly sick of just going up and down round and round without any human interaction at all. I even got a lift across London by the BTP last week who were only too happy to have a bit of company (the main topic of conversation was slagging off Boris, Cressida and masks!).

Much as work can be a pain, especially dealing with the problem characters, it does expose people to a level of human interaction. I’ve seen what happens to people who don’t get that interaction, and it’s not good. It’s a sure way to mental health problems. Having said that, personally I think I could probably manage quite happily on a desert island in the right circumstances!

philosopher

Established Member
Ultimately, I think the railway industry as a whole will have to wait and see. Its a very difficult thing to predict, especially with the situation in the short term ever changing. I do think passenger usage reaching around 40% last summer briefly, is a small cause to be optimisitc, considering social distancing still being in place meaning offices were not operating at capacity and of course all the large summer, leisure events being cancelled, and some people still being scared to travel.

My personal view as the railway industry will have done extremely well if they manage to get passenger numbers to 80%. A more pesimistic view of mine is that it will only get to 60% max, and even that will take a year or two after the pandemic is over.

But ultimately, we will have to wait and see, the only advantage railways do have is climate agenda, as electric cars are still not widespread yet.
How much of a factor could train punctuality be in a factor in winning back passengers? One sliver lining from this is that the train punctuality in the next couple of years should be a lot higher than it was previously if there is less congestion on the network. Could the rail industry exploit any improvements in punctuality to win back passengers?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

700's have one advantage being fixed formation they generally offer plenty of space to spread out and even pre Covid you rarely had to cram in a bay 4 with others. Contrast that that with 319's on the late evening working out of l.Bdge when it was often full and standing on Thursday and Fridays. That said an E* working will always be a preferable seating experience and actually you didnt even get an armrest on on a CIG/VEP even if the seat was more comfortable.

In respect of commuting there was already a change showing with the high peak dropping back which was no bad thing as creating more capacity and finding stock for 90mins of the day wasn't exactly economic let alone green. Office workers may want some flexibility and most employees will extend it but as an employee interacting with others is a key enabler to get stuff done so doing face to face whether in an office or a coffee shop needs you to travel so death of the traveller is a misnomer. Ultimately what will determine travel demand will be the state of the economy and that is the unknown here despite best endeavours to put a prop under employment by govt measure. So the industry needs to be responsive and it has shown itself adept at that over this crisis.

Danor97

Hopefully one winner of these fingers crossed, short term service cuts, will be the world of railfreight planning, particularly on flows reliant upon STP paths.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If travel is so illegal, why are the train companies not being nicked as aiding offenders ? We don’t need a train every 20 minutes to Manchester or Brum nor half hourly to Scotland just for so called essential journeys.
It is not travel that is illegal (at least within England), but rather the act of leaving or remaining away from home. The TOCs are not helping people to commit an offence by transporting them, as John Smith is already committing an offence if he turns up at the station without a reasonable excuse for having left home.

The industry is adjusting the timetable to meet current demand and crew availability, just like it has done throughout the pandemic. But there are limits to what can be done and how quickly.

Some peoples' daily lives (including the commutes of key workers) would suffer drastic consequences if too severe a reduction were imposed. There are also operational considerations, unless you want the railway to end up with unusable trains and out-of-competence crew, rendering the resumption of normal service difficult.

March timetables and plans are, sadly, not any use now for most TOCs. They will be in the wrong ‘data’ (December 2019 timetable, not December 2020), and none of them had any measures in them to protect staff - extra time for cleaning, that sort of thing.
Something I am painfully aware of - all I mean is that there is a template which can now be used as a fallback, and so there is less work involved in producing reduced timetables than there was in March.

For most operators, shuffling around the deck chairs allowances to enable extra cleaning is primarily a matter of being seen to do the right thing. It is known that Covid-19 does not transmit much via surfaces, and antiviral products such as Zoono can be relied upon for effective protection for the best part of a month and so don't require daily application.

Hopefully one winner of these fingers crossed, short term service cuts, will be the world of railfreight planning, particularly on flows reliant upon STP paths.
Fine for now - but someone has to lose out when the TOCs want to resume using the paths!

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What I was saying was if you only need one car for commuting but for a few trips a year a second car would be "needed" then it's unlikely that a second car would be purchased as it would likely cost over £1,000 (with the average annual car cost being over £3,000) and probably not be used all that much.

Whilst many such trips could well be done with hire cars, there's likely to be a fair few which are done by rail.

Let's take as an example a couple where one of them is visiting friends and the other family, it may well be that the one visiting family drivers there whilst the other goes by train.

Whilst such trips may be infrequent it may well be that over the year they total 300 miles of travel (maybe a bit less maybe more, in that some could do that on a single trip) Whilst that's tiny compared to a commuter doing 13,000 miles a year, it's got the potential to allow growth to happen going forwards.

I know what you’re saying.

The fact of the matter is that very, very few people will give up cars (1st, 2nd or more) simply because they are working at home more. If that was the case, they’d have done so already - it’s been 10 months now. Do you know anyone who has? I don’t. For a car commuter to give up their car they’d need to be working from home full time and have no other use of it. Generally speaking they’re not going to, except for a very small minority.

Charters would be the big winner, but there’s none of them!

infobleep

Veteran Member
SWR reverting to their Summer Covid timetable so not a huge change. Disappointing that 'Summer Covid timetable' is even a thing.
I imagine that's great news for the passengers who need to travel. Interestingly some are introducing timetable changes on 18th. I assume that is because they need an extra week to introduce the changes.
March timetables and plans are, sadly, not any use now for most TOCs. They will be in the wrong ‘data’ (December 2019 timetable, not December 2020), and none of them had any measures in them to protect staff - extra time for cleaning, that sort of thing.
I'm glad to hear this as there is more hope for trains from Reading to Gatwick Airport to run.

What are the reasons why TOCs can't just introduce Sunday timetables across the week, with some additions? A so called Sunday Plus? It's what is being spoken of in the newspapers but they aren't usually experts.

Some firms do not want people in the office. This has helped accelerate this process. They want to introduce hubs where people can meet at times so that their is still a social side to work, whilst still not having hundreds of people in offices.

Some will revert to type but others will see the innovations this brings. I prefer to be in an office with people around me. I work better in that environment. Going into an office with hardly anyone there wouldn't be any help. I simply have to go on with it though because it's the way things are and beides, I love train travel but I'm saving money by not having a season ticket. Travel to an office in the future will be paid for by my employer as it will be the exception rather than the norm, my place of work being at home.
It is sustainable or you wouldn't have freelancers working from home. However, it doesn't have to be work from home or go to the office. It can be a healthy mix of the two.
It’s interesting that a lot of people at my place have become a lot more “chatty” recently. Drivers in particular seem utterly sick of just going up and down round and round without any human interaction at all. I even got a lift across London by the BTP last week who were only too happy to have a bit of company (the main topic of conversation was slagging off Boris, Cressida and masks!).

Much as work can be a pain, especially dealing with the problem characters, it does expose people to a level of human interaction. I’ve seen what happens to people who don’t get that interaction, and it’s not good. It’s a sure way to mental health problems. Having said that, personally I think I could probably manage quite happily on a desert island in the right circumstances!
Just to note, Government advice is not to car share unless you really have to and if so, try to use the same people. Nice they gave you a lift though.

Here is something the BBC are reporting in one news report on National Express coach services [yes it is a rail quote towards the end of the coach news report]:
The Department for Transport has been consulting with all train operators about service reductions during the latest lockdown.

The exact scale of reduction is still being worked on, but the DfT says service levels may fall to as low as 40% of the normal timetable by some operators.
Train services are expected to be reduced in lockdown, with some in the industry anticipating reductions of between 50% and 60% compared with normal service.

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
Travel to an office in the future will be paid for by my employer as it will be the acception rather than the norm, my place of work being at home.
I wonder if future employment contracts may specify that your place of work being home or any other location within x miles/minutes travelling distance?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What are the reasons why TOCs can't just introduce Sunday timetables across the week, with some additions? A so called Sunday Plus? It's what is being spoken of in the newspapers but they aren't usually experts.

Sunday base timetables have the unfortunate issue that they have a Saturday timetable immediately before them, often start much later in the day, finish earlier, and have a Monday following them.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What are the reasons why TOCs can't just introduce Sunday timetables across the week, with some additions?
The timings of Sunday services don't always align much (or at all) with the timings of weekday or Saturday services, so copying the Sunday service to other days would require a large-scale replanning of the timetable - unless every operator agreed to run their Sunday timetable all week long. It's much easier to remove services from the timetable and tweak what remains.

There are still very few freight services on a Sunday, so I'm sure the FOCs would have something to say about having barely anything reserved on the graph!

Some places also see their best service on a Sunday, and other places see exactly the same service all week. Clearly a week-round Sunday timetable won't necessarily be appropriate there.

Finally, Sunday services assume that units are in position following the end of the Saturday service, and deliver them in position for the start of the Monday service.

You would probably still need subtly different timetables each day just to ensure proper rotation of units on the longer circuits, and of course first trains on a Sunday will be much later than weekdays. In fact many cities don't have anything arriving from surrounding stations before 10am or so.

Sunday service frequency and patterns are nevertheless an informative baseline in the right circumstances.

Last edited:
Drastic cuts make a lot of sense in the short term. Longer term in the peaks rail travel will be more pleasant as it may be possible to get a seat. (The quality of the seat is another topic) Off peak and leisure travel will thrive once major restrictions are lifted.

People will be keen to travel in summer 2021.

The Ham

Established Member
I know what you’re saying.

The fact of the matter is that very, very few people will give up cars (1st, 2nd or more) simply because they are working at home more. If that was the case, they’d have done so already - it’s been 10 months now. Do you know anyone who has? I don’t. For a car commuter to give up their car they’d need to be working from home full time and have no other use of it. Generally speaking they’re not going to, except for a very small minority.

Charters would be the big winner, but there’s none of them!

Actually I do know of at least 1 who has reduced the number of cars from 2 to 1 and although I don't know then personally there's quite a few who haven't gone and got a new car (as new car sales are down by about 30% to a thirty years low).

Due to the poor return from selling a secondhand car, I suspect that many will just keep hold of what they've got and then not replace them once it's got a big bill to fix it or the lease is up for renewal. As such even after 10 months you may not see much of a shift.

That lack of news cars has the potential to push up the cost of car ownership as fewer secondhand cars enter the market in the years to come.

That could make it harder for those to get their first car and so encourage more to do without and use public transport.

One other factor in the lack of movement of disposal of cars at this time is that the companies that they work for may currently be permitting WFH and I suspect that there's quite a few who would like to try working in the office again before deciding their working patterns, as such there could be a level of keeping hold of vehicles just in case (which would be sensible, especially given that no one knows what public transport will look like coming back out ify this, so what was possible before may be quite a bit harder if services are reduced).

I suspect that there's likely to be a bit of an age divide, those aged 50 and over would probably be more likely to keep cars even if they don't use them much. Whilst those under 40, especially those who are trying to save for a house or to get a bigger house, would probably be more cautious about keeping cars that were under used.

Long term there'd have to be significant WFH for an average of more than half the time (i.e. 5 days or of 10 or more) to see much more than a 20% fall in rail use.

Given these a fair number (some estimates have it about 25%) who would opt not to WFH hardly at all (those who live on their own, those with small children, those without suitable space, etc) or would be told that they aren't suitable for WFH (new graduates who need to learn off others, those who have shown they don't work well at home, etc.) then such a high level of WFH would be unlikely.

There's also those in education (secondary schools, 6th form colleges, private schools and to a lesser extent universities) who would continue to use rail for their commuting (and many don't have the option of driving as their not old enough to have a license).

Then there's those who only travel short distances by rail, where the savings from WFH would likely be fairly limited.

Yes that's still got the potential for a 20% fall in passenger numbers (however if they swap from annual season tickets to any time tickets that may not be a 20% reduction in revenue), but that's only likely to be going back to about 2011 passenger numbers.

Although even within that it could be that passenger numbers on the majority of the network see little movement whilst the numbers commuting into London in the peaks could fall significantly.

Whilst that would mean that there would need to be more subsidies or cuts it'll be hard to argue that a line which has (say) 2018 passenger numbers (a fall but not all that much as the users of the line aren't WFH a lot) should be closed.

Chances are, once things settle down, cuts will be to the likes of the 442's, extra units brought in to deal with capacity (primarily during the peaks), with then new units brought in after (say 5-10 years) when passenger numbers have recovered (if needed). With then a sight reduction in services, but with an eye as to how to maintain frequencies without slowing down services too much.

Drastic cuts make a lot of sense in the short term. Longer term in the peaks rail travel will be more pleasant as it may be possible to get a seat. (The quality of the seat is another topic) Off peak and leisure travel will thrive once major restrictions are lifted.

People will be keen to travel in summer 2021.

Indeed, there may actually be quite a lot of travel on trains which were otherwise busy with commuters (which again could limit the fall in revenue as they wouldn't be paying much less than average by buying a season ticket).

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sunday base timetables have the unfortunate issue that they have a Saturday timetable immediately before them, often start much later in the day, finish earlier, and have a Monday following them.

The timings of Sunday services don't always align much (or at all) with the timings of weekday or Saturday services, so copying the Sunday service to other days would require a large-scale replanning of the timetable - unless every operator agreed to run their Sunday timetable all week long. It's much easier to remove services from the timetable and tweak what remains.

Sunday service frequency and patterns are nevertheless an informative baseline in the right circumstances.
Interesting replies. Who coined the term "Sunday Plus" because it's clearly not appropriate? Would Saturday Plus work?

infobleep

Veteran Member
My guess is either Boris (or another member of the government) or the news media. Either way both have little to no idea of the details of running the railway...
Nor do I. But I read stuff on here and pick up some basics at least. Perhaps even more than the people who coin the term Sunday plus!

bramling

Veteran Member
Interesting replies. Who coined the term "Sunday Plus" because it's clearly not appropriate? Would Saturday Plus work?

Saturday plus is essentially what we had on GN/TL over the autumn. I’d suggest it was only possible as the weekday and Saturday timetables are similar, and in particular many services work to a standard clockface pattern. It still had quite a lot of alterations compared to a standard Saturday.

A Sunday timetable was run during the last lockdown, but the trouble with it was that it didn’t offer much in the early-morning (which is one of the most important times of day in the current situation), and the train plan offered some oddities like 12-car trains at times to suit what would normally have been prime times for day trips from Cambridge to London, but 4-car trains at times people were actually travelling.

There’s another issue that rolling stock doesn’t get cycled about. So for example in the Sunday timetable mentioned above you’d have had 3x700/0 permanently incarcerated in Welwyn carriage sidings. What happened in practice was some ad-hoc stock moves were arranged to periodically move units around, but this is just one example of the issues which will arise. And all this is before one gets into duty schedules, which introduces a whole new set of issues.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Who coined the term "Sunday Plus" because it's clearly not appropriate? Would Saturday Plus work?

My guess is either Boris (or another member of the government) or the news media. Either way both have little to no idea of the details of running the railway...

The concept of Sunday plus, Saturday plus / minus, weekday minus is train planning language that has been picked up by the DfT and then by politicians. At least it shows they are listening!

And all this is before one gets into duty schedules, which introduces a whole new set of issues.

Exactly. And that’s the difficult part.

squizzler

Established Member
Rail has a difficult time ahead, and whilst commuting will be hit hard it's likely that rail will see growth going forwards.

Whilst people switching to rail from road for commuting is very unlikely (although not impossible and there may be some who do, although chances are that's going to be something which is a longer term thing, especially given that it's much easier to get home deliveries than it was a year ago) that wasn't the main point of what I was saying there.

What I was saying was if you only need one car for commuting but for a few trips a year a second car would be "needed" then it's unlikely that a second car would be purchased as it would likely cost over £1,000 (with the average annual car cost being over £3,000) and probably not be used all that much.
I agree strongly with this sentiment. For rail enthusiasts who became interested in this thing before privatisation, we are conditioned to think that the motor trade is entitled to run circles round the transport industry by some sort of divine right, but actually it has problems of its own. @The Ham presumably knows the current trends from his day job, but I think there are a lot of factors that make this trend that are not in his analysis:
  • The growth of e-bikes and e-scooters for urban mobility. These contraptions have reached the critical mass where the cities begin to be redesigned around their usage, using former carriageway space.
  • The pandemic has reduced the number of babies being born. Many couples who previously lived without their own car will buy one when they have children to use as an oversized perambulator.
  • The number of cars being produced has dropped to levels last seen in the 1980s. This must be below replacement levels, which would mean the national fleet will be declining now. With the transition to electric cars starting, many will not be confident buying till they perceive electric mets their needs at a price they are willing to pay.
  • In the second half of the twentieth century the motoring and road building interests were able to co-operate to help establish government policy. This does not seem the case anymore. In fact the motor trade has been a thorn in the side of the government over Brexit. The Tory Brexiteer establishment might be inclined to punish it.
As for people reducing the number of cars they own, we are in a two car household and thinking of doing just that as the second car is an older hybrid whose motor assistance is causing problems. These novel types of propulsion, it seems, take even less kindly to occasional use than the traditional sort. I suggested we might like to see how our local car-share operator rolls out its fleet, as a local bay might enable us to become single car household without a loss of mobility (the number of occasions that we need this second car are minimal). I know if the cost per mile of this second car were to be calculated it would be horrifying as it has spent so much time in the garage lately, and we would be better off without it.

As for the immediate suspension of over half the timetable during lockdown, whilst I feel for those in the industry who are anxious about the uncertainty this entails, I am bullish for their prospects. Slashing large numbers of services in the short term is what economists call "creative destruction" which leaves the way open for stronger renewal. Services should then be restored on a "year zero" basis where trains are added according to genuine need rather than simply restoring what went before.

Any leftover space in the timetable will be a bonus for goods traffic. I believe we will see rapid emergence of novel types of goods traffic, as exemplified by the Rail Operation Groups schemes for 125mph intermodal and Class 769 parcels units. These new goods operations are an obvious solution to the loss of a large number of lorry drivers due to retirement (many are getting old) or return to EU home countries. These exciting new services will help cover the shortfall of network revenue that could result from fewer passenger services.

And for heaven's sake, lets get the fares system reformed. The post lockdown industry will be fighting to attract passengers with a hand tied behind their back unless they have the freedom to price seats to sell. The pre-pandemic objection that fare reform means prices would be raised to manage demand no longer counts, we would now see price reductions to attract business and fill seats.

Philip

On Moderation
Many people, leisure and commuters alike, enjoy travelling by train, find it more relaxing than driving and are probably only avoiding them at the moment out of either fear of catching the virus or dislike of social distancing/face masks. So using the car is easier. Once all this finishes, ie. vaccination, they'll soon be back onboard. The vast majority of employers won't want to continue WFH because of the logistical problems, so people will have to commute again.

Other factors such as parking costs in city centres and going for post-work drinks will see people move back to the train from their cars. The railway itself could make some little changes here and there to make it more attractive to return to the train.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The performance indicator 'trains per hour' seems to be used as an indicator of service level. However, it can be one step away from indicating the reality.
For instance, take Northampton to Euston in the current timetable. There are 2 trains per hour; one arrives at xx.23 and the other at xx.24.
From Wellingborough, the 2 trains per hour to London arrive at St. Pancras at xx.51 and xx.04.
In the first case, a reduction from 2 to 1 tph would be imperceptible, in the second perhaps acceptable for cost saving - direct costs (such as traincrew) could be halved.

I expect that this situation is not unique to Northamptonshire.

bramling

Veteran Member
Many people, leisure and commuters alike, enjoy travelling by train, find it more relaxing than driving and are probably only avoiding them at the moment out of either fear of catching the virus or dislike of social distancing/face masks. So using the car is easier. Once all this finishes, ie. vaccination, they'll soon be back onboard. The vast majority of employers won't want to continue WFH because of the logistical problems, so people will have to commute again.

Other factors such as parking costs in city centres and going for post-work drinks will see people move back to the train from their cars. The railway itself could make some little changes here and there to make it more attractive to return to the train.

I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case. The vast majority of people in my circles would associate with trains words like “dirty”, “unreliable”, “overcrowded”, “expensive” or “slow”. The only reason they take a train is for journeys where they are the lesser of two evils, which is mainly commuting to London, or for a very long-distance journey where a drive of several hours or more is less appealing.

Personally whilst I enjoy train travel, I’ve found it become less enjoyable over the last couple of decades due to two particular factors - firstly the fact that trains have tended to become busier, and secondly that train designs have tended to go downhill in quality to the point where some are starting to have an ambience no better than a bus. For me that’s two of what were hitherto rail’s selling points gone. It isn’t like rail is particularly quick - there’s few journeys which are quicker by train then by car (even London journeys for me roughly balance out), and even at 75% off rail doesn’t compete particularly well on cost either. Over the last few years my rail use has nosedived.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Also the fact that rail's competitive advantage is in travel to major city/town centres. However, there's very little reason to go there at the moment, if you can't meet up indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.