• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telegraph reporting 50-60% of services to be cut due to impact of covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Good, good. Let's hope that in future those despicable creatures commonly known as humans stay off the trains so that crews don't have to worry about them coming on, and they can cart around fresh air paid for by the government for all time....
Hadnt you already made that point in the previous comment? You seem bitter about the subsidy for some reason.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Hadnt you already made that point in the previous comment? You seem bitter about the subsidy for some reason.
I'm not bitter at all, I welcome them because sadly some of us need the trains. What I don't like is the attitude of some rail staff that passengers should be treat like dirt.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm not bitter at all, I welcome them because sadly some of us need the trains. What I don't like is the attitude of some rail staff that passengers should be treat like dirt.
You have overreacted several times about that. There is nothing that would please us/me more than having busy trains & life getting back to normal but unfortunately we are not there. The only people I detest are those not playing by the rules or blatantly flouting them & that includes friends & family members of mine too & whom I will not sadly look at in the same way in future.

Master Cutler

You can usually tell the genuine ones but should never assume. The classics are groups who get on the train all together, masks down/dangelling then all get off individually in different carriages like nobody will notice.
Absolutely, experience of doing your job should enable you to spot anything that doesn't fit the norm.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK I think we’re straying off topic here. This thread is to discuss the cutting of services, not to discuss who can or cannot travel on the trains.
Thank you. :)

317 forever

Established Member
TRANSPENNINE SOUTH
from 25th January 2021.

From this date, services on this route will operate every two hours while there will be no service on the line between Barton and Cleethorpes. These short-term changes are only temporary and will be subject to regular review based on numbers travelling.
I see reference to no service between Barton and Cleethorpes then a review based on numbers travelling. Well, as the line is closed the numbers of passengers reaching Barton will be 0, rendering the promise of a review at least for this line totally meaningless. :rolleyes:

Cletus

Established Member
Southeastern are making more changes on 8th and 22nd February.
https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/timetables

Many services will remain unchanged, please see the list below for details of the changes.
Summary of changes from 8 February

Chatham Line

• Off peak London Victoria to Dover Priory semi-fast services via Canterbury East will not run
  • Off peak London Victoria to Gillingham stopping services will be extended to Dover Priory and will call at all stations
  • Off peak services will be hourly on the Sheerness branch
Maidstone East Line

• Off peak services will no longer call at Canterbury West and will run between London Victoria & Ashford International only except at peak/school times
Ashford Line

• Many of the additional peak time services between Ashford International & Ramsgate via Deal will not run
  • Peak time services from Ramsgate and Dover Priory to London Cannon Street via Tonbridge are reduced to one service each way in the morning and evening peak from Ashford International to London Cannon Street
Hastings Line

• Off peak London Charing Cross to Tunbridge Wells services will not run
  • Evening services between London Charing Cross and Tunbridge Wells are reduced to an hourly service
  • One off peak train per hour from London Charing Cross to Hastings will call additionally at Hildenborough
  • Peak time services from Hastings to London Cannon Street will not run
Medway Valley Line

• The Medway Valley Line will have one train per hour between Paddock Wood and Strood (Off peak and evening Maidstone West to Strood shuttle services will not run)
  • School time services continue to operate to and from Tonbridge
Metro

• Off peak and evening services from London Charing Cross to Hayes will not run
  • Bromley North to Grove Park will have two trains per hour
  • Thameslink services between Orpington & Luton via Catford will have two services a day in each direction
  • Sevenoaks to Blackfriars services via Catford continue to operate two trains per hour
  • Rainham to Luton services via Dartford & Greenwich continue to operate two trains per hour all day

Summary of changes from 22 February

Chatham Line

• The Faversham to Dover Priory route will have hourly trains for most of the day
  • Off peak and evening London St Pancras to Ramsgate (via Medway) services will start and terminate at Faversham
  • Some services on the line between Dover Priory and London Terminals will not run
Maidstone East Line

• Off peak & evening services will be hourly
  • Trains departing London Victoria to Canterbury West at 25 minutes past the hour will be extended to Ramsgate and call at all stations on the Maidstone East line
  • Trains departing Canterbury West to London Victoria at 5 minutes past the hour will begin from Ramsgate and call at all stations on the Maidstone East line
  • The 5.30 and 6.22 Ashford International to London Blackfriars (via Maidstone East) and 17.38 return will continue running
Ashford Line

• Off peak services will be hourly (services between Ramsgate and London Charing Cross (via Canterbury West) will not run after the morning peak until mid-afternoon, and some evening services won’t run)
  • Some services between London Charing Cross and Ramsgate (via Dover Priory) will call additionally at Orpington
  • There will be no peak trains to London Cannon Street from Ashford International
Medway Valley Line

• Off peak Medway Valley Line services will be extended to and from Tonbridge
Hastings Line

• Off peak services will be hourly
  • A few London Charing Cross to Hastings services will call additionally at Hildenborough
Metro

• Off-peak and evening Charing Cross to Dartford (via Blackheath and Woolwich) services will not run
  • Charing Cross to Sevenoaks (via Grove Park) services will be hourly. Cannon Street to Orpington (via Grove Park) services will continue to run half-hourly.

DelW

Established Member
There's a curiosity on the Portsmouth direct, where the SWR reduced timetable doubles the number of trains stopping at Milford and Witley.

In the normal off-peak weekday timetable, four trains per hour pass each way - two Portsmouth (semi) fasts, one Portsmouth stopper, and one Haslemere terminator. Only the Haslemere trains call at Milford and Witley (1tph each way).

In the current timetable, one of the Portsmouth fasts per hour has been withdrawn. But the Portsmouth stoppers now call as well as the Haslemeres giving 2tph each way.

iphone76

Some changes to Greater Anglia from 15th February. An uplift on the Great Eastern side to a Saturday style service Monday to Friday.

I hope I've quoted this correctly.

Intercity route

All week-

An hourly Norwich to Liverpool St. service will operate.

Great Eastern routes

Mondays to Fridays-
Until Friday 12th February - Cancellations across the route as listed in the attached document.
From Monday 15th February- a Saturday style timetable will be in operation on:
Liverpool St. to Southend Vic / Braintree / Ipswich / Clacton-on-Sea, and
Wickford to Southminster, Marks Tye to Sudbury, Colchester to Walton-on-the-Naze, and Manningtree to Harwich Town routes.
In addition, this will be reduced to a 2 hourly off-peak service on the:
Wickford to Southminster, Marks Tye to Sudbury, Colchester to Walton-on-the-Naze, and Manningtree to Harwich Town branch lines.

Saturdays-
A 2 hourly service will operate on the: Wickford to Southminster, Marks Tye to Sudbury, Colchester to Walton-on-the-Naze, and Manningtree to Harwich Town branch lines.

Sundays-
A 2 hourly service will operate on the: Wickford to Southminster, Witham to Braintree, Marks Tye to Sudbury, Thorpe-le-Soken to Walton-on-the-Naze, and Manningtree to Harwich Town branch lines.

Regional routes

Mondays to Fridays, and Saturdays-
A 2 hourly off-peak service will operate on the: Norwich to Cambridge/ Stansted Airport, Norwich to Sheringham, Norwich to Great Yarmouth, and Ipswich to Felixstowe routes.
There will be strategic cancellations throughout the day on the: Norwich to Lowestoft, and Ipswich to Lowestoft routes.
The Ipswich to Cambridge route will be reduced to 2 trains every 3 hours.
The 2 hourly Ipswich to Peterborough service is unchanged.

Sundays-
A 2 hourly service will operate on the: Norwich to Cambridge/ Stansted Airport, Norwich to Sheringham, Norwich to Great Yarmouth, Norwich to Lowestoft, Ipswich to Lowestoft and Ipswich to Felixstowe routes
The Ipswich to Cambridge route will be reduced to 2 trains every 3 hours.
The 2 hourly Ipswich to Peterborough service is unchanged.

West Anglia routes

Mondays to Fridays-

The Stansted Express route will be operating a reduced service of 2 or 3 trains per hour.
In the peak Cambridge/ Cambridge Nth to Liverpool Street will be reduce to 2 trains per hour. Kings Lynn to Liverpool Street services will be reduce to 1 train in either direction.
Bishop Stortford to Stratford and Meridian Water to Stratford routes will be reduced to an hourly off-peak service with some additional cancellations during the peaks.
Saturdays-
The Stansted Express route will be operating a reduce service of 2 trains per hour.
Bishops Stortford to Stratford, and Meridian Water to Stratford routes will be reduced to an hourly service.

Sundays-
The Stansted Express route will be operating a reduced service of 2 trains per hour.
Meridian Water to Stratford route will be reduce to an hourly service.

dk1

Veteran Member
I wonder what route GA think Marks Tye is?

The Southend Victoria regulars will be pleased. Some ridiculous gaps in service right now.

mtmikethom

Nothing booked to stop at Shenfield going towards Chelmsford from 1745 to 1927 either (3-4 an hour usually), Monday that seems to have been the case but last 2 days extra stops put in on 4 or so services (probabaly a few complaints at Shenfield on Monday).

dk1

Veteran Member
Nothing booked to stop at Shenfield going towards Chelmsford from 1745 to 1927 either (3-4 an hour usually), Monday that seems to have been the case but last 2 days extra stops put in on 4 or so services (probabaly a few complaints at Shenfield on Monday).
Looks like short notice additional services have been added at 17:51, 18:13 & 18:28. This still leaves a very poor 59 minute gap though.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Reductions on Southern from 22 February include the Uckfields going down to 2-hourly between peaks, and the East Grinsteads to hourly. The peak Thameslink trains to both East Grinstead and Littlehampton are withdrawn.

The Southern website also refers to a reduction in frequency ‘between Newhaven Town and Seaford, at quieter times’, though I can’t see any changes in the Journey Planner for February 22nd, and this is supposedly now updated for the week concerned. Even during the worst of Lockdown 1, we retained 2tph at Seaford.

It feels quite late in the cycle to be bringing-in significant further cuts, bearing in mind schools are likely to re-open at least partially on March 8th which will probably require some reinstatements, whilst non-essential retail and the end of ‘Stay at Home’ could follow 2/3 weeks later. I hope the industry will be nimble in restoring capacity.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Reductions on Southern from 22 February include the Uckfields going down to 2-hourly between peaks, and the East Grinsteads to hourly. The peak Thameslink trains to both East Grinstead and Littlehampton are withdrawn.

The Southern website also refers to a reduction in frequency ‘between Newhaven Town and Seaford, at quieter times’, though I can’t see any changes in the Journey Planner for February 22nd, and this is supposedly now updated for the week concerned. Even during the worst of Lockdown 1, we retained 2tph at Seaford.

It feels quite late in the cycle to be bringing-in significant further cuts, bearing in mind schools are likely to re-open at least partially on March 8th which will probably require some reinstatements, whilst non-essential retail and the end of ‘Stay at Home’ could follow 2/3 weeks later. I hope the industry will be nimble in restoring capacity.
It was because of the Kings Cross works and planner workload that the timetable is coming in this late.

Silver Cobra

Glad to see that the Thameslink Peterborough to Horsham service will be returning to half-hourly from February 22nd. I've become more dependent on that service for getting to work due to family circumstances, and having it currently running hourly makes things more difficult when disruption happens to the service (some of the trains I needed to use this week were delayed or cancelled outright).

More info on the changes to Thameslink and Great Northern services from February 22nd are listed here: https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/t...spx?_id=0B9E3AD4F97F4DE5A7FC40278D7F2BF9&_z=z

Orpington/Sevenoaks to Luton/London Blackfriars via Bromley South and Catford 

• There will be a reduced service between Orpington and Luton
  • There will be a very limited Thameslink service at Orpington and Petts Wood
  • The first service on the route towards London Blackfriars will be the 05:22 Sevenoaks departure
  • Services between London Blackfriars and Bickley via Catford will be half-hourly in both directions for most of the day
King’s Cross to Cambridge – stopping service 

• Thameslink will operate a half-hourly service between King’s Cross and Cambridge during peak hours. Off-peak, the stopping service between Royston and Cambridge will be hourly, creating an hourly service at Foxton, Shepreth and Meldreth
Baldock to King’s Cross 

• Peak-time only semi-fast Great Northern services between Baldock and King’s Cross via Letchworth Garden City, Hitchin, Welwyn North and Knebworth will not run. Customers should use alternative Thameslink or Great Northern services
Peterborough to King’s Cross via Biggleswade and Stevenage 

• The 06:36 and 07:04 Great Northern departures from Peterborough will run
  • The 17:42 and 18:12 departures from King’s Cross will run
  • Customers at other times should use alternative Thameslink services to London St Pancras
Peterborough to St Pancras International 

• The Thameslink service that connects Peterborough to St Pancras International (and Horsham) via Huntingdon, St Neots, Sandy, Biggleswade, Arlesey, Hitchin, Stevenage and Finsbury Park will run half-hourly
Moorgate to Welwyn Garden City and Stevenage via Hertford North 

• Great Northern Metro services will be half-hourly outside peak times
  • During the morning and evening peak periods services will operate every 15 minutes
Horsham to London Bridge 

• The Thameslink service that connects Horsham to London Bridge (and Peterborough) via Littlehaven, Ifield, Crawley, Three Bridges, Gatwick Airport, Horley, Redhill, Merstham, Coulsdon South and East Croydon will run half-hourly
East Grinstead to Bedford 

• Thameslink services from East Grinstead to Bedford will not run. Customers should use alternative Southern and Thameslink services
Littlehampton to Bedford 

• Thameslink services from Littlehampton to Bedford will not run. Customers should use alternative Southern and Thameslink services
Bedford, Luton, St Albans, West Hampstead to St Pancras International 

• Services will be slightly reduced across the day. Please check what this means for your journey
Three Bridges, Gatwick Airport to London Bridge and Luton / Bedford 

• Services will be slightly reduced across the day. Please check what this means for your journey

Established Member
It is worrying that they're still making cuts in late February.
In some cases though it reinstates trains removed last month, like reverting back to 2tph between Peterborough to Horsham and Kings Cross and Ely.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They would have been made earlier if it was physically possible, like I said Kings Cross and planner workload made it impossible.

In some cases though it reinstates trains removed last month, like reverting back to 2tph between Peterborough to Horsham and Kings Cross and Ely.

It's just that by then, one would have hoped that we would be looking towards easing restrictions anyway.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
They would have been made earlier if it was physically possible, like I said Kings Cross and planner workload made it impossible.
So 22nd Feb is the day BoJo is telling us the way out of this albeit it will be weeks before demand outside of educational needs changes but what lead time can we expect on reinstating services this time round?

Southern Dvr

So 22nd Feb is the day BoJo is telling us the way out of this albeit it will be weeks before demand outside of educational needs changes but what lead time can we expect on reinstating services this time round?
Amusingly (in a perverse sort of way) that 22nd February is the day GTR commences its considerably reduced timetable.

Philip

On Moderation
According to the journey planner, TfW are reinstating at least some of their services that were cut in January from the 1st March; including restoring an hourly Manchester to Chester frequency. Northern too are reinstating cut services from 8th March. Earlier than I expected!

Avanti currently down for 27th March for the resumption of their normal timetable.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
According to the journey planner, TfW are reinstating at least some of their services that were cut in January from the 1st March; including restoring an hourly Manchester to Chester frequency. Northern too are reinstating cut services from 8th March. Earlier than I expected!

Avanti currently down for 27th March for the resumption of their normal timetable.
I wouldn't assume that any of these are going to happen. These will just be the dates up until which the amended timetable has currently been entered into the system. That can readily be extended if the paymasters want it.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I wouldn't assume that any of these are going to happen. These will just be the dates up until which the amended timetable has currently been entered into the system. That can readily be extended if the paymasters want it.
Agreed. There is talk of the "stay at home" instruction ending on March 29th so likely that the service will go back to the December 2020 plan from that date. Might have to bring out some emergency Pacers!

dan5324

On Moderation

Hmm same time that nat ex are due to restart services. Seems like someone is pulling the strings then

Status
Not open for further replies.