• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL journey planner not giving rail options

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
I seem to be a having a problem getting any rail options (Underground, National Rail, or Overground) out of the TfL journey planner. I tried it last night and again this afternoon.

I've tried entering various journeys in it including something straightforward like "Paddington station to Liverpool Street station" - but no rail journey options are given by the planner: just 1 hour & 3 minutes on a bus. The only alternative offered is a chance to select "cycle" or "walk" as an option instead. I've checked that rail option boxes are ticked and included in my search selections, but still no rail results appear.

Is anyone else having this problem, or am I perhaps doing something incorrectly? Any help appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
No problem for me. When you plan a journey there is an option to save preferences. Maybe you saved a preference for bus only times the last time you made an enquiry.

davetheguard

Established Member
No problem for me. When you plan a journey there is an option to save preferences. Maybe you saved a preference for bus only times the last time you made an enquiry.

No, it's not that. All preferences are ticked. I've even tried un-ticking the bus option for the test Paddington to Liverpool Street journey (not actually the journey I want to make, by the way), I then get a cycle time of 33 minutes, but still no time by Tube.

davetheguard

Established Member
I've now tried using Internet Explorer rather than my usual browser (Firefox), and it all works fine. Very odd!

Anyone have any suggestions about why this should be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've now tried using Internet Explorer rather than my usual browser (Firefox), and it all works fine. Very odd!

Anyone have any suggestions about why this should be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

No idea why this might be, but there are also problems with TfL's website on individual bus stops, telling you which buses stop there and giving a 'countdown' of expected arrivals at that stop within the next 30 minutes, with destinations. I first noticed this last Saturday when I went to look at some stops that had seen a change in services that day, and a confused picture emerged with erroneous information as to the routes now serving those stops. I did think that, give it a day or two, and the info should be near perfect, but, now for the fifth day running, a route that didn't change and is one of London's main routes has completely disappeared from the system as though it never existed, this being the 14. I'm on Internet Explorer, by the way, so maybe I should change the other way.:)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The TFL journey planner has become useless- it will always try and give you a route which gives the most revenue to TFL even if there is a quicker NR option. It also doesn't consider going back on yourself using a fast service then back in on a stopper. Engineering works are frequently wrong away from the tube. I use UK bus checker app now for all my London (and elsewhere) journeys-it gives a far better mix of options- its no longer just for busses

davetheguard

Established Member
Did you try flushing your browser cache?

Yes, I've done that. Still only giving bus information.

Still, no matter, I've got the travel information I needed by temporarily using Internet Explorer.

Thanks to all for your help.

philthetube

Established Member
National rail planner doesn't give underground times either on things like Rickmansworth Amersham.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Another great feature of UK bus checker is you can just turn the GPS on and plot a route from where you are to any other point. Great if you are not familiar with all the stations and bus routes

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This happens to me.
Some ad blockers stop the non-bus only options from showing on TfL's site (including Purify ad blocker on Safari on iPhone)

I don't know if someone forgot to add in Overground to journey planner but it doesn't seem to offer any Overground routes where these are faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.