• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW counted place reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty82

Have a counter place reservation on a TFW service from Crewe to Abergavenny next week. Does anyone know whether they are limiting those without seat reservations on services so those who do have reservations are given priority on their services because of COVID? Don't really understand counted place reservations - neither did their social media people tbh. Lol.

Thank in advance for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marty82

Counted place reservations are purely for ticket quota reasons and do not imply a priority to join a given service.
Thanks. Ticket quota reasons means what exactly? They are encouraging seat reservations at the moment. TFW said the following to me:

This is means that you have an allocated space on our trains so that we can better manage numbers. Thanks ^Ned

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks. Ticket quota reasons means what exactly? They are encouraging seat reservations at the moment. TFW said the following to me:

Is your ticket an Advance? It's because each tier of Advances is limited in number. Sometimes they are issued in error for walk-up tickets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No - it's an off peak return.

OK, completely ignore me. It appears (I did a bit more digging) that they are using counted places as a means of encouraging people to choose only the services on which they can get one, though they don't appear to have set the compulsory flag on any of their trains. Bit of a half job there.

Marty82

OK, completely ignore me. It appears (I did a bit more digging) that they are using counted places as a means of encouraging people to choose only the services on which they can get one, though they don't appear to have set the compulsory flag on any of their trains. Bit of a half job there.
Ah ok - an encouragement rather than an enforcement then. Fingers crossed it means a higher likelihood of getting on the train planned.

When asked what systems that TFW and Arriva have at Crewe to monitor and enforce the limits of train capacity because of COVID they said just have a ticket and get on the train. Not very encouraging as I know my local Scotrail station has different platform queues on the concourse to aid distancing and boarding.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah ok - an encouragement rather than an enforcement then. Fingers crossed it means a higher likelihood of getting on the train planned.

When asked what systems that TFW and Arriva have at Crewe to monitor and enforce the limits of train capacity because of COVID they said just have a ticket and get on the train. Not very encouraging as I know my local Scotrail station has different platform queues on the concourse to aid distancing and boarding.

The layout and intensity of operation at Crewe would make boarding controls non-viable.

Marty82

The layout and intensity of operation at Crewe would make boarding controls non-viable.
Yeah - you're probably right now that I think about it. Fingers crossed that people are being sensible. The TFW service from Crewe is just two carriages at times so will be 'fun'.

I'm guessing that counted place reservations are new to TFW as the social media team had to ask another department when I asked what it meant!

Thanks again for your knowledge and help. Much appreciated.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm guessing that counted place reservations are new to TFW as the social media team had to ask another department when I asked what it meant!

Interestingly not - they issue them for their Advances rather than actual seat reservations and have done for a while. The purpose of them there is just to take a place out of the quota for that Advance price level and to provide you a bit of paper saying which train you have to use.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yeah - you're probably right now that I think about it. Fingers crossed that people are being sensible. The TFW service from Crewe is just two carriages at times so will be 'fun'.

Thanks again for your knowledge and help. Much appreciated.
The oldest reference in a thread I can find is ATW were using counted place reservations in 2012. I expect it’s been going on so long it’s slipped everyone’s mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.