• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Mk4 Diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

A nice little trip on mk ivs thus available from Hereford d 1230 to Shrewsbury and back d 1418 on arguably the most scenic part of the Marches line, though odd Ludlow gets a call northbound but not southbound according to RTT. At £16 for two advance singles for 100 miles of haulage it seems good value.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
A nice little trip on mk ivs thus available from Hereford d 1230 to Shrewsbury and back d 1418 on arguably the most scenic part of the Marches line, though odd Ludlow gets a call northbound but not southbound according to RTT. At £16 for two advance singles for 100 miles of haulage it seems good value.
The northbound platform at Ludlow is marginally longer than the southbound, which might have something to do with it.

Envoy

Established Member
It’s a pity that they can’t get these sets out on weekends when even 150’s can turn up on The Marches.

Llandudno

Established Member
It’s a pity that they can’t get these sets out on weekends when even 150’s can turn up on The Marches.
Absolutely, it would free up some units to strengthen North Wales - Chester - Manchester services

berneyarms

Established Member
Give them a chance - they're phasing them into service. With all of the other issues with training etc., I think we all need to be patient.

wobman

On Moderation
The MK4s project was bigger and more complicated than anyone imagined and then TFW have had covid to deal with. It's no wonder everything is delayed.

TEW

Established Member
AFAIK No catering yet. Onboard trolleys are meant to be restarting on a limited basis this month on other services but I've no idea what the plan is for the MKIVs just yet.
The buffet was open on the MKIV set I caught last week on the 1716 from Cardiff and First Class passengers appeared to be able to collect some complimentary items, not a full meal or anything, but a sandwich seemed to be offered.

craigybagel

Established Member
Give them a chance - they're phasing them into service. With all of the other issues with training etc., I think we all need to be patient.

The MK4s project was bigger and more complicated than anyone imagined and then TFW have had covid to deal with. It's no wonder everything is delayed.
Indeed - that we've got to where we are today is something of a miracle, and a fantastic achievement by the training team who've been working their socks off.
The buffet was open on the MKIV set I caught last week on the 1716 from Cardiff and First Class passengers appeared to be able to collect some complimentary items, not a full meal or anything, but a sandwich seemed to be offered.
Ah, interesting and good to know.

Weekends are always the hardest to crew these sets (given the numbers of staff who don't sign them and the demand for staff to take days off or not work rest days at weekends), so it makes sense they don't usually get used except a few times in the summer when the swap move from Holyhead to Crewe and back to Bangor managed to run with passengers. Also means extra opportunity for maintenance time for the 2 sets not stuck in Holyhead, although that set does often get some clean and prep done at a weekend from what I've seen in the past. Weekends more likely to see more limited diagrams after the Swansea to Manchester turns start in late 2022 as there will need to be big numbers of crew who know them on the Marches end.

peteb

Buffet open on 1230 Hereford to Holyhead service today, with extremely nice coffee on offer!

Peter749

Absolutely, it would free up some units to strengthen North Wales - Chester - Manchester services
A problem would be the North Wales to Manchester service runs to Manchester Airport and I don't know if the route is cleared for Mk4 operation.

Peter

CHAPS2034

A problem would be the North Wales to Manchester service runs to Manchester Airport and I don't know if the route is cleared for Mk4 operation.

Peter
I think Llandudno was referring to the fact that if the MK4 sets were used on the Marches, it would release some existing DMUs to strengthen North Wales to Manchester services rather than putting MK4s on N Wales to Manc.

Peter749

I think Llandudno was referring to the fact that if the MK4 sets were used on the Marches, it would release some existing DMUs to strengthen North Wales to Manchester services rather than putting MK4s on N Wales to Manc.
Oops - my bad - re reading it that makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.