• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Pacer withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
I thought the Pacers were finished in South Wales, been told there was one on a service to Barry earlier?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
I thought the Pacers were finished in South Wales, been told there was one on a service to Barry earlier?
They are finished, theres none at Canton anymore and all left to Landore for stripping before scrap or preservation

Defiance149

Six of the seven 143 destined for scrap had left Landore for Sims by last weekend. Anyone know which was still left to go?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Yes, it went on Thursday. The last of the 143's to go for scrap.

View attachment 98471
Never thought I'd be sad to see these crates go in the bin. In my opinion, one of the most stupid decisions this year. Keeping them on through the summer would have been a big help to many and a disbenefit to nobody. The label on the side of the carriage is rather ironic. RIP.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Never thought I'd be sad to see these crates go in the bin. In my opinion, one of the most stupid decisions this year. Keeping them on through the summer would have been a big help to many and a disbenefit to nobody. The label on the side of the carriage is rather ironic. RIP.

They had had two dispensations already so I wouldn't have expected the DFT to have agreed another one.

Bikeman78

Established Member
They had had two dispensations already so I wouldn't have expected the DFT to have agreed another one.
They gave Greater Anglia another chance with their 321s. Sure there would be loads of single unit trains without them but arguably that's no worse than the situation in Wales now.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They gave Greater Anglia another chance with their 321s. Sure there would be loads of single unit trains without them but arguably that's no worse than the situation in Wales now.
Even the non-modified 321s are leaps and bounds ahead of Pacers in terms of ease of use. You make a fair point with regard to capacity but these issues should have been addressed a decade ago, and the Pacers sent packing then too.

Caaardiff

Even the non-modified 321s are leaps and bounds ahead of Pacers in terms of ease of use. You make a fair point with regard to capacity but these issues should have been addressed a decade ago, and the Pacers sent packing then too.
Covid and social distancing wasn't an issue back then, along with increased demand for leisure traffic across the network.
Any extra capacity at the moment is very much needed, with 769s continuing to be unreliable, lots of Valleys services are being short formed to 2 car, which simply isn't enough, even without trying to maintain social distancing. Services are full and standing at different points of the day throughout the network.
Love them or hate them, regardless of TOCs acting too late, they are needed now.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Covid and social distancing wasn't an issue back then, along with increased demand for leisure traffic across the network.
Any extra capacity at the moment is very much needed, with 769s continuing to be unreliable, lots of Valleys services are being short formed to 2 car, which simply isn't enough, even without trying to maintain social distancing. Services are full and standing at different points of the day throughout the network.
Love them or hate them, regardless of TOCs acting too late, they are needed now.

That is not how the railway works. DFT pushed 170s, 769s and countless 153s into TFW to replace Pacers so in their eyes there are enough units to cover all work. What happens regarding day to day regarding day to day availability (unreliable 769s for example) does not come into the equation. Spares, especially wheelsets, were becoming difficult to obtain as supply chains had been run down in anticipation of their departure.

Jez

Established Member
Whilst i was driving down the M4 westbound near Port Talbot earlier today I passed a pacer being taken by road from I assume Landore to be scrapped. Im not 100% but I think it was 1 carriage of 143616.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Whilst i was driving down the M4 westbound near Port Talbot earlier today I passed a pacer being taken by road from I assume Landore to be scrapped. Im not 100% but I think it was 1 carriage of 143616.
was a suggestion it was to be preserved ill get the name of the line now... the line is nantmawr which is the suggested fate of 601 and 616

55682 from 143 616. En-route to its new home at the Tanat Valley Railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.