• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Pacer withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caaardiff

TFW say they are following Welsh Government guidance. If anybody can find a link to some of their Welsh Government guidance decisions, please post them.
Because 'the unions have us by our nads' isn't acceptable to put on social media responses

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
Guards are staying in the rear cabs and not doing ticket checks. TFW seem to have gone over the top or call it thorough as can see in not calling at certain stations if shorter platforms. As an example, Yorton and Conwy only have 2 Car trains calling.
My subtle point was that on a Pacer, guards need to leave their cab and enter the saloon at every station to work the doors. So every time a guard leaves the cab, by this logic, they are 'risking' 'exposing' themselves to Covid, where as the only time drivers on Pacers risk 'exposing' themselves to Covid is when they get on and off the train at the start and end of their turn. Unless of course guards are also refusing to work Pacers and are staying on the 150/153 in a Sprinter/Pacer formation, leaving Pacers unmanned on the Valleys now.

It's all very silly. If drivers are at risk from Covid just by working double Pacers, where does that leave supermarket workers, who are directly mixing with the public every day in their jobs? They aren't represented by powerful unions and are low paid workers, so they just have to get on with it.

Last edited:

IamTrainsYT

Is it likely that we will still see TFW’s pacer sets out in service on the 5/6th of December? Hoping to make one final trip after lockdown

Parallel

Established Member
My subtle point was that on a Pacer, guards need to leave their cab and enter the saloon at every station to work the doors. So every time a guard leaves the cab, by this logic, they are 'risking' 'exposing' themselves to Covid, where as the only time drivers on Pacers risk 'exposing' themselves to Covid is when they get on and off the train at the start and end of their turn. Unless of course guards are also refusing to work Pacers and are staying on the 150/153 in a Sprinter/Pacer formation, leaving Pacers unmanned on the Valleys now.

It's all very silly. If drivers are at risk from Covid just by working double Pacers, where does that leave supermarket workers, who are directly mixing with the public every day in their jobs? They aren't represented by powerful unions and are low paid workers, so they just have to get on with it.
It's the same with 158s though, and they get around that by taping the rear doors off to prevent passengers from using them. In reality it's probably fairly low risk, especially if they're wearing PPE (face masks) and sanitising their hands regularly.

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
It's the same with 158s though, and they get around that by taping the rear doors off to prevent passengers from using them. In reality it's probably fairly low risk, especially if they're wearing PPE (face masks) and sanitising their hands regularly.

They’ve been doing this on the 14xs and 153s too.

Bikeman78

Established Member

From my personal observations, on a 143+150 combination, the guard will work the doors from the cab of the 150 that is attached to the Pacer. When double Pacers were used, they worked the doors from the back of the train. The rear set of doors was protected by a chain across the aisle near the tip up seats. I've not observed what happens on a 143+153 combination.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Low risk? With the number of passengers currently travelling on trains, I'd say it's 0.01% risk

Mordac

Established Member
Some services do get quite busy, especially short formed units as Wales is out of lockdown & schools / university students are back.

Plus not everyone is working from home, so services going to large English cities like Manchester & Birmingham do get busy at times at peak times still. Not anywhere near pre covid times levels of passengers, but higher than 0.01% quoted figure.

Isnt it the unions main objective to protect its members & until the vaccine is rolled out, I'm glad the unions are strong in this matter personally.
Personally I think my (non-rail) union is running around like headless chickens over this issue. They're pushing for a ban on face to face teaching, which I infinitely prefer to online. While their attention is focused on this, my employer is getting away with things like ramming through a massively detrimental change to our expenses policy with no union pushback whatsover.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Some services do get quite busy, especially short formed units as Wales is out of lockdown & schools / university students are back.

Plus not everyone is working from home, so services going to large English cities like Manchester & Birmingham do get busy at times at peak times still. Not anywhere near pre covid times levels of passengers, but higher than 0.01% quoted figure.

Isnt it the unions main objective to protect its members & until the vaccine is rolled out, I'm glad the unions are strong in this matter personally.
Like I said, I think this issue needs some perspective. There are supermarket and shop workers who must spend hours each day they are in work surrounded by the public. Teaching staff at many universities are being forced to teach in person seminars with students, the age group that recently saw a massive rise in Covid cases.
But allegedly, train drivers are kicking off because they have to spend a few seconds 'unprotected' from the public by walking from the end doors to the cab of a Pacer, where there is tape across the aisle near the end of the carriage preventing the public using end doors anyway. To me, it's a big over reaction.

Dave91131

Assuming the comments upthread regarding staff refusing to work pairs of 14x units and the reason of contact / exposure in the passenger saloon for them doing so are true, it raises (to me at least) the question of how on earth they go about other aspects of their life beyond leaving their home as surely there are numerous other instances daily where they risk a few seconds contact with / exposure to other people.

Using toilet facilities, using the staff / mess room, walking to and from platforms, getting a coffee, doing shopping, handling equipment which others have handled and waiting on platforms are just a few that immediately spring to my mind.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we are starting to drift off topic somewhat - can we keep the discussion here to the topic of TfW Pacer Withdrawals.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then please start a new thread in the appropriate part of the forum.

thanks

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I haven't seen any official documents but more than one source states that TFWs 142010, 14072 and 142082 have been withdrawn and to be followed by 142077 on Saturday and 142067 on Monday. The remainder of the 142 fleet to go progressively by December 12th

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I haven't seen any official documents but more than one source states that TFWs 142010, 14072 and 142082 have been withdrawn and to be followed by 142077 on Saturday and 142067 on Monday. The remainder of the 142 fleet to go progressively by December 12th
I presume you mean 142069? Given 067 was sent for scrap in January.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Farewell 142 tour perhaps ? A 142, number could be 142077 but not yet confirmed, working with 153313 on 0635 Cardiff to Pembroke Dock this morning and then shuttles between PMD and Carmarthen for remainder of day.

Caaardiff

Cancellations due to fleet/resource availability this morning and yesterday. Sounds like the Pacers are very much still needed.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Cancellations due to fleet/resource availability this morning and yesterday. Sounds like the Pacers are very much still needed.

The train was morning was 32 L start due to "Late off Depot" so I'm assuming the other 153 which should have worked was a late failure.

And another 142 on a farewell tour. 142080 with 153369 working 1308 Cardiff Cen to Gloucester and 1448 Gloucester to Carmarthen.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
Not too surprising - a 142 and a 153 made it all the way to Milford Haven a couple of weeks ago.

Anonymous10

Established Member
i am both happy and sad to see the pacers leave respect for their service but happy they are gone loud smelly and noisy

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi - just jumped over to this thread from the Northern Pacer withdrawal thread. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but is it the case that both 142s and 143s still in action with TfW, and 142 likely to end on dec 12th but 143s stay longer? - or have I misunderstood gist of recent posts up thread (apols but due to related tangential chat I suspect I've missed key posts on this very question!)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Hi - just jumped over to this thread from the Northern Pacer withdrawal thread. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but is it the case that both 142s and 143s still in action with TfW, and 142 likely to end on dec 12th but 143s stay longer? - or have I misunderstood gist of recent posts up thread (apols but due to related tangential chat I suspect I've missed key posts on this very question!)

Start reading from Post #193 onwards for the story. Basically, the withdrawal of 142s has started and they will all go progressively by 12th December. A number of 143s will probably continue into 2021

WesternLancer

Established Member
Start reading from Post #193 onwards for the story. Basically, the withdrawal of 142s has started and they will all go progressively by 12th December. A number of 143s will probably continue into 2021
Thanks!

sd0733

Established Member
There certainly seems to be less and less diagrams now. Looking at Genius for today only 9 Tfw pacers look to be out. 8 paired with 150s and 1 (143625) with a 153.

142069 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
142073 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
142077 on Rhymney to Bridgend
142085 on Rhymney to Bridgend

143606 on Pontypridd to Barry Island
143607 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
143608 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
143616 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
143625 on Rhymney to Bridgend

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Does anyone have information on the very last working?

It probably won't be known until the last day itself. 142s first to go and probably December 12th if they haven't all finished before then and perhaps a number of 143s into 2021

Bob Price

There certainly seems to be less and less diagrams now. Looking at Genius for today only 9 Tfw pacers look to be out. 8 paired with 150s and 1 (143625) with a 153.

142069 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
142073 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
142077 on Rhymney to Bridgend
142085 on Rhymney to Bridgend

143606 on Pontypridd to Barry Island
143607 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
143608 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
143616 on Penarth to Merthyr/Aberdare
143625 on Rhymney to Bridgend
If you could do this daily until the end it would be very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.