• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Conductor Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

thematrix

Hiya Folks
I was just wondering if anyone on here has applied to multiple locations for a trainee train conductor with TFW?

If so, how has that worked for them and what sort of response people have had if they are then given a choice of location for a start date?

I applied for Trainee Train conductor at Machynlleth as this was the only location advertised at the time. I later saw an advert for Trainee Conductor at Pwllheli which is much closer to me. I wasn't sure whether to apply for that as well, whether it would affect my existing application as I had already passed my interview for Machynlleth. The page seemed to be taking me through the same application process I had already completed and didn't want to duplicate myself and confuse things. I sent an email asking to be placed in the Pwllheli talent pool as well but got a generic response saying im still in the talent pool for Machynlleth

Others for Machynlleth have had their start dates this year for March and May, but i've left hanging in the talent pool. I think it's down to location as they live much closer to the depot than I do. After waiting 12 months and emailing recruitment, I have been informed they have extended me for another 12 months. Im thinking if I'm closer to Pwllheli, would I get referred to that depot instead?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L401CJF

Established Member
If youre within the max distance for multiple locations, if a position comes up for another location eg somebody has been offered a course date and dropped out, they may well get in touch with those in pools for other locations that live within the distance.

I applied for Chester and got a phone call asking if I wanted an earlier course for Crewe, to which I bit their hand off!

thematrix

If youre within the max distance for multiple locations, if a position comes up for another location eg somebody has been offered a course date and dropped out, they may well get in touch with those in pools for other locations that live within the distance.

I applied for Chester and got a phone call asking if I wanted an earlier course for Crewe, to which I bit their hand off!
Oh Right, that's useful to know, thank you. I suppose you can get offered another depot within commuting distance if there's a need for it without directly applying for it yourself then. I might need to wait and see then nearer the time I can get a start date with whichever depot is offered to me. I've emailed to say I am within commuting distance to Pwllheli, Holyhead, Llandudno Junction, as well as Machynlleth and I remain flexible.

I think they might get annoyed if I email too much and will just let it be at their discretion and make it their decision then. Will just have to sit back, wait and see what they can come back to me with. If they offered me a start date for anything, I would gladly chew their hand off as well for a quicker start date rather than remain in the talent pool for another year lol.

Out of interest, how long did you have to wait yourself between passing interview and being offered a start date?

Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
Oh Right, that's useful to know, thank you. I suppose you can get offered another depot within commuting distance if there's a need for it without directly applying for it yourself then. I might need to wait and see then nearer the time I can get a start date with whichever depot is offered to me. I've emailed to say I am within commuting distance to Pwllheli, Holyhead, Llandudno Junction, as well as Machynlleth and I remain flexible. I think they get annoyed if I email too much and will just let it be at their discretion and make it their decision. Will just have to sit back, wait and see what they can come back to me with. If they offered me a start date and gave me a choice, I would gladly chew their hand off as well for a quicker start date rather than remain to wait in the talent pool for another year lol.

Out of interest, how long did you have to wait yourself between passing interview and being offered a start date?
About 4/5months because somebody dropped out for an earlier course, should have been around a year

thematrix

About 4/5months because somebody dropped out for an earlier course, should have been around a year
Wowee, that was a good spot of luck there. I suppose it's just luck of the draw really then for whatever crops up. Like they say nothing is guaranteed in the Rail industry. I Imagine you can always apply to transfer depot at a later date after working your assigned route for 2 years. Looks like i'm in a 24 month talent pool now after another 12 month extension. All I can do is email every few months and ask for a status update. The auto-response just states you are still in the talent pool.

How are you getting on yourself now? All going ok so far I hope. Have you passed out now?

Kenners

Hi, can I ask when they offered you Crewe? Also how long were you in the holding pool for ? Thanks

L401CJF

Established Member
Brill, thanks ! I am still in the holding pool for Crewe. Interviewed in Jan this year , but still not heard anything .
I know there are a couple of courses ongoing at the moment. I think one is based in Chester and one based in Crewe. Mix of depots on each course. Think one is about half way through and another is 1/3 or so through. I'd imagine theyll be pulling people out of pools to start in the next few months once theyre both finished but dont quote me on that!

Kenners

I know there are a couple of courses ongoing at the moment. I think one is based in Chester and one based in Crewe. Mix of depots on each course. Think one is about half way through and another is 1/3 or so through. I'd imagine theyll be pulling people out of pools to start in the next few months once theyre both finished but dont quote me on that!
Cheers, thanks for getting back . Appreciate the info !

thematrix

Hi, can I ask when they offered you Crewe? Also how long were you in the holding pool for ? Thanks
Congratulations on passing your interview. Fantastic news. Well done for making it this far. Just the waiting game now then. Talent pool for that region is normally about 12 months give or take. Others have waited in blocks of 6/8 or even 10 months. Ive been waiting a year myself so might see you on the same course or hopefully cross paths at least. Can always email for a status update to say you are still keen and interested:

[email protected]

Let us know how you get on.

Its encouraging to hear there are multiple courses running now for the northern areas. Things are progressing forward with lots of new starters. Good news all round. Im hoping I will be pulled for the next course as well and rolled over into the next intake. Going to try emailing again and find out.

LiamHolloway

Hey guys, just wondering if any information on how long the wait could be to start? I’m in the talent pool , have been since April so not too long for Cardiff central. Just wondering if anyone knows how long the wait could be? How does one be contacted as well to be given a start date? Is it phone call or email? Cheers!

thematrix

Hey guys, just wondering if any information on how long the wait could be to start? I’m in the talent pool , have been since April so not too long for Cardiff central. Just wondering if anyone knows how long the wait could be? How does one be contacted as well to be given a start date? Is it phone call or email? Cheers!
Talent pool is normally for a year. Cardiff Central normally has a quick turnaround as its a big busy depot.

Some people have been called up in as little as 3 weeks for Cardiff. Others have waited several months. Otherwise could be up to 12 depending on the needs of the depot and availability of training courses.

You can send an email for a status update to say you are still keen and interested. Or reply back to an existing email so they can look at the history to see where they are with you. It may take a few weeks for them to reply. They will let you know a few months in advance of an upcoming course to organise your medical and notice period.

LiamHolloway

Awesome stuff thank you for getting back to me so quick, do you happen to know how I’ll be contacted? I imagine by phone but will an email also be sent? As well in my current job i can’t have my phone on me during work, so if I miss the call will a voicemail or something be left for me ? Do you know how they do it ?

L401CJF

Established Member
I had a phone call, but im not sure if thats the norm or because they were offering me a position at a depot I didnt apply for.

I missed the first call and they left a voicemail.

craigybagel

Established Member
Hiya Folks
I was just wondering if anyone on here has applied to multiple locations for a trainee train conductor with TFW?

If so, how has that worked for them and what sort of response people have had if they are then given a choice of location for a start date?

I applied for Trainee Train conductor at Machynlleth as this was the only location advertised at the time. I later saw an advert for Trainee Conductor at Pwllheli which is much closer to me. I wasn't sure whether to apply for that as well, whether it would affect my existing application as I had already passed my interview for Machynlleth. The page seemed to be taking me through the same application process I had already completed and didn't want to duplicate myself and confuse things. I sent an email asking to be placed in the Pwllheli talent pool as well but got a generic response saying im still in the talent pool for Machynlleth

Others for Machynlleth have had their start dates this year for March and May, but i've left hanging in the talent pool. I think it's down to location as they live much closer to the depot than I do. After waiting 12 months and emailing recruitment, I have been informed they have extended me for another 12 months. Im thinking if I'm closer to Pwllheli, would I get referred to that depot instead?
Bear in mind there are only 9 conductors at Pwllheli so jobs don't come up very often.

The advice I always give to people in the talent pool is to not overthink it too much - there really isn't much you can do to change how long you're going to be in there, and it's near impossible to predict when a position will come up, so it's best not to think about it too much and to try and get on with your life, as frustrating as that can be.

By all means message HR and remind them of your existence, and hopefully you might get an update, but beyond that once your in the pool there's not much left in your control.

thematrix

Awesome stuff thank you for getting back to me so quick, do you happen to know how I’ll be contacted? I imagine by phone but will an email also be sent? As well in my current job i can’t have my phone on me during work, so if I miss the call will a voicemail or something be left for me ? Do you know how they do it ?
Hiya Congratulations for getting this far. Fantastic news, well done.

If they cant get hold of you via phone they will send an email to say they were trying to get in touch. On it they will give you the date of an upcoming training course they will like to place you on 3 or 4 months in advance. You will need to reply to this to confirm your attendance to say you are still interested. On occassion, sometimes they may offer a slightly different depot within commuting distance. Definitely take whatever is offered without question.

Once you have confirmed you are happy to go ahead with your course start date, they will say they will be in touch to arrange a medical. They may offer several appointment/date slots to attend your medical with an address to go to (could be Bupa/marigold/ occupational Health clinic. You will need to reply to confirm you are happy to attend your medical appointment with chosen date/time slot if applicable. Take whatever is offered without question.

Nearer the time they will send a contract out with job offer pending satisfactory medical completion. There will be a pack with all induction materials for your course. You will have a good few months for medical and serving notice period in your current job.

Last edited:

LiamHolloway

Thank you all for your help! Today I woke up to an email asking that they have a potential start date for me and asking when would be the best time to contact me. I’ve replied and let them know I’m free to be contacted whenever so now it’s just awaiting game. Thank you all for your help!

thematrix

Bear in mind there are only 9 conductors at Pwllheli so jobs don't come up very often.

The advice I always give to people in the talent pool is to not overthink it too much - there really isn't much you can do to change how long you're going to be in there, and it's near impossible to predict when a position will come up, so it's best not to think about it too much and to try and get on with your life, as frustrating as that can be.

By all means message HR and remind them of your existence, and hopefully you might get an update, but beyond that once your in the pool there's not much left in your control.
Hiya Craigy.
Thank you for getting in touch with kind words of advice there. It is appreciated. Thanks for all the info. Gosh only 9 conductors for Pwllheli? Thats not very many at all there is it. Vacancies must be far and few in between then. I spoke with a train guard at Pwllheli whos working with a trainee train driver who waited 4 years for a start date so its not unheard of. Hopefully wont have to wait that long as a guard.

I applied to Machynlleth but was also hoping to have Pwllheli as a potential option as well. I heard a recent training course had a Pwllheli conductor on it. The tfw website recently advertised for Pwllheli conductors earlier this year so I have been trying to email a few times to be added to this depot as well but not had a definite confirmation as of yet other than being told Im still in the talent pool.

Hopefully they can tell from my post code that im right next to Pwllheli and get a start date offer in due course for either depot. Im happy to take whatever they give me so if I do start at Machynlleth, I suppose I can always apply to transfer to another depot after 2 years of being signed off that route.

Difficult not to keep checking emails and missed calls. I appreciate I'm not the only one with plenty of others all in the same boat. Ive taken your advice to move on and carry on with other things in my life. To take my mind off it and concentrate on other goals, ive booked myself in to be trained up as a security guard to build up my confidence and self development to be a train guard. This should help with conflict resolution, complaint handling and dealing with situations.

It will be nice to have somthing else in between to concentrate on so I don't feel I have everything riding on this waiting so long. Both will pay well either way. Be good to have other things to fall back on. I feel more relaxed and at ease now to start Tfw guard school confidently.

Its nice to talk to others on this forum for advice and help to figure things out. Everyone has been so lovely and helpful. When I did my interview they didnt tell me what a talent pool was with no expectations of rough waiting times. I will let you know how I get on if I hear anything.
Many thanks.

So Ive been in touch with HR recruitment and had a response back via email.
I explained in an email that a new road bypass in Bangor is now allowing for easy commute access to Holyhead and Llandudno Junction and can I be considered for multiple locations as well as Machynlleth/Pwllheli.

They replied back saying as long as its within 1 hour commute in my car they have now confirmed my addition to Holyhead and Llandudno Junction Talent pool for Trainee Train Conductor. (No definite confirmation of Pwllheli yet but I imagine this will already be assumed having previously expressed interest and living next to it).

Should speed things up a bit to have access to more surrounding locations with more potential vacancies. I have stated I am happy to be flexible for any depot and they have assured me they will be in touch as soon as a suitable vacancy arises for me. Good news me thinks as at least they are replying back to get in touch with me.

Thank you all for your help! Today I woke up to an email asking that they have a potential start date for me and asking when would be the best time to contact me. I’ve replied and let them know I’m free to be contacted whenever so now it’s just awaiting game. Thank you all for your help!
Hi Liam
Fantastic news on your start date mate. Thats wonderful to hear. Really Happy for you pal. Thats a nice thing to wake up to isnt it.

May take 3 or 4 months from now. Some people on occasion may have the medical date changed a few times if they are already full on that particular day or may have a start date pushed back a month. They will keep you updated even if its taking a while to organise your medical.

Dont worry though, you will get there and the fact they have called you for a start date is good news all round. Once you're in, you’re in.

When is your start date?

Last edited:

LiamHolloway

Out of wondering. Anyone else here been offered the October course for Cardiff mainline? Wondering who my classmates might be.
Hiya Craigy.
Thank you for getting in touch with kind words of advice there. It is appreciated. Thanks for all the info. Gosh only 9 conductors for Pwllheli? Thats not very many at all there is it. Vacancies must be far and few in between then. I spoke with a train guard at Pwllheli whos working with a trainee train driver who waited 4 years for a start date so its not unheard of. Hopefully wont have to wait that long as a guard.

I applied to Machynlleth but was also hoping to have Pwllheli as a potential option as well. I heard a recent training course had a Pwllheli conductor on it. The tfw website recently advertised for Pwllheli conductors earlier this year so I have been trying to email a few times to be added to this depot as well but not had a definite confirmation as of yet other than being told Im still in the talent pool for Machynlleth.

Hopefully they can tell from my post code that im right next to Pwllheli and get a start date offer in due course for either depot. Im happy to take whatever they give me so if I do start at Machynlleth, I suppose I can always apply to transfer to another depot after 2 years of being signed off that route.

Difficult not to keep checking emails and missed calls. I appreciate I'm not the only one with plenty of others all in the same boat. Ive taken your advice to move on and carry on with other things in my life. To take my mind off it and concentrate on other goals, ive booked myself in to be trained up as a security guard to build up my confidence and self development to be a train guard. This should help with conflict resolution, complaint handling and dealing with stressful situations etc.

It will be nice to have somthing else in between to concentrate on so I don't feel I have everything riding on this waiting so long and stressing myself out. Both will pay well either way. Be good to have other things to fall back on. I feel more relaxed and at ease now to start Tfw guard school confidently.

Its nice to talk to others on this forum for advice and help to figure things out. Everyone has been so lovely and helpful. When I did my interview they didnt tell me what a talent pool was with no expectations of rough waiting times. I will let you know how I get on if I hear anything.
Many thanks.

So Ive been in touch with HR recruitment and had a response back via email.
I explained in an email that a new road bypass in Bangor is now allowing for easy commute access to Holyhead and Llandudno Junction and can I be considered for multiple locations as well as Machynlleth/Pwllheli.

They replied back saying as long as its within 1 hour commute in my car they have now confirmed my addition to Holyhead and Llandudno Junction Talent pool for Trainee Train Conductor. (No definite confirmation of Pwllheli yet but I imagine this will already be assumed having previously expressed interest and living next to it).

Should speed things up a bit to have access to more surrounding locations with more potential vacancies. I have stated I am happy to be flexible for any depot and they have assured me they will be in touch as soon as a suitable vacancy arises for me. Good news me thinks as at least they are replying back to get in touch with me.

Hi Liam
Fantastic news on your start date mate. Thats wonderful to hear. Really Happy for you pal. Thats a nice thing to wake up to isnt it.

May take 3 or 4 months from now. Some people on occasion may have the medical date changed a few times if they are already full on that particular day or may have a start date pushed back a month. They will keep you updated even if its taking a while to organise your medical.

Dont worry though, you will get there and the fact they have called you for a start date is good news all round. One your in your in.

When is your start date?
Hello mate, yes all very good news. My start date is in October they said they have a course for me. Said they’re arranging my medical at the moment and will be in touch with me in the next couple of weeks to give me the date. Once my medical is out the way I’ll be sent my contract and be given more information and what’s to come my way! All very good news , very excited to get going. Thank you very much!

cs88

Out of wondering. Anyone else here been offered the October course for Cardiff mainline? Wondering who my classmates might be.

Hello mate, yes all very good news. My start date is in October they said they have a course for me. Said they’re arranging my medical at the moment and will be in touch with me in the next couple of weeks to give me the date. Once my medical is out the way I’ll be sent my contract and be given more information and what’s to come my way! All very good news , very excited to get going. Thank you very much!
I'm on the October course. Medical passed, just have to sign all the forms and right to work documents. Absolutely can't wait.

Matt11

I'm on the October course. Medical passed, just have to sign all the forms and right to work documents. Absolutely can't wait.
Congrats on your start date! And good luck on the course.

Out of interest,

when did you pass the interview and what depot have you applied for.

I passed the interview end of Jan and was placed in the talent pool. But havnt heard anything as of yet.

Looks like there’s a few people in the same position as myself though.

LiamHolloway

Hi mate, I just had my medical yesterday , how long does it take for the forms to be sent out? Neither mate ! Hope to see you there and good luck to you!

thematrix

Hi mate, I just had my medical yesterday , how long does it take for the forms to be sent out? Neither mate ! Hope to see you there and good luck to you!
Well done folks for passing the medicals. Final relief and Last hurdle all done and full steam ahead. Really Happy for you guys on the October course. Best of luck to you all and let us know how you get on

LiamHolloway

Cheers mate! Shall do, have you managed to get your start date yet?
Well done folks for passing the medicals. Final relief and Last hurdle all done and full steam ahead. Really Happy for you guys on the October course. Best of luck to you all and let us know how you get on

thematrix

Congrats on your start date! And good luck on the course.

Out of interest,

when did you pass the interview and what depot have you applied for.

I passed the interview end of Jan and was placed in the talent pool. But havnt heard anything as of yet.

Looks like there’s a few people in the same position as myself though.
Im in the same position. Passed my interview last year in April 2021 and still waiting over a year. I had my talent pool period extended for another 12 months.

Joys of the rail industry having to be patient and nothing is guaranteed in the rail industry. Carmathen is a small depot with vacancies far and few in between. Could be looking between 1 to 2 years. Some people were told straight away after interview the talent pool waiting will be 24 months where before it was only 12 with the possibility of having an extension.

How far away do you live away from the depot? You may find people who live right next to the depot are given first priority for start dates and then you are held in reserve and rolled over to another start. If later on you have been waiting the longest in your talent pool group you will then be put on a placement for a start date to then empty your talent pool group before moving onto the next one.

I was in an April talent group. I am waiting for the March group to empty out first. As i live only just within an hour commute route to my depot (Machynlleth) it looks like I will be placed last. Once that happens and my April group is empty they will then move onto the talent pool group from May 2021 last year. Apparently no one was successful in the interviews in June so there was never a June talent pool group created for my depot last year.

Commuting distance does seem to play a factor into this. Although ive known 2 people who do commute an hour and a half every day, but had to wait 2 years to start.

Try emailing and ask for a status update. Use an existing email youve received and reply back to it so they have the email history of where they are up to with you. Mention you are still interested and keen. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers mate! Shall do, have you managed to get your start date yet?
Nah mate still not heard anything. I should move to south wales
Later as much more opportunities and quicker start dates. Far fewer opportunites in North Wales as quiet in the middle of nowhere. Vacancies are far few and in between. From what I can find out, training courses are running well into 2023 so might not be until next year now with my talent pool extension. Ive been added to Holyhead and Llandudno depots now as well as Machynlleth. Hopefully should speed things up as soon as a vacancy appears in any nearby depot for me.

Glad you got yours sorted though which is good to hear. Will give a heads up if i hear anything my end but could be a few more months until i get another update.

LiamHolloway

Im in the same position. Passed my interview last year in April 2021 and still waiting over a year. I had my talent pool period extended for another 12 months.

Joys of the rail industry having to be patient and nothing is guaranteed in the rail industry. Carmathen is a small depot with vacancies far and few in between. Could be looking between 1 to 2 years. Some people were told straight away after interview the talent pool waiting will be 24 months where before it was only 12 with the possibility of having an extension.

How far away do you live away from the depot? You may find people who live right next to the depot are given first priority for start dates and then you are held in reserve and rolled over to another start. If later on you have been waiting the longest in your talent pool group you will then be put on a placement for a start date to then empty your talent pool group before moving onto the next one.

I was in an April talent group. I am waiting for the March group to empty out first. As i live only just within an hour commute route to my depot (Machynlleth) it looks like I will be placed last. Once that happens and my April group is empty they will then move onto the talent pool group from May 2021 last year. Apparently no one was successful in the interviews in June so there was never a June talent pool group created for my depot last year.

Commuting distance does seem to play a factor into this. Although ive known 2 people who do commute an hour and a half every day, but had to wait 2 years to start.

Try emailing and ask for a status update. Use an existing email youve received and reply back to it so they have the email history of where they are up to with you. Mention you are still interested and keen. Let us know how you get on.

Later as much more opportunities and quicker start dates. Far fewer opportunites in North Wales as quiet in the middle of nowhere. Vacancies are far few and in between. From what I can find out, training courses are running well into 2023 so might not be until next year now with my talent pool extension. Ive been added to Holyhead and Llandudno depots now as well as Machynlleth. Hopefully should speed things up as soon as a vacancy appears in any nearby depot for me.

Glad you got yours sorted though which is good to hear. Will give a heads up if i hear anything my end but could be a few more months until i get another update.
Shame with the railway , everything moves so bloody slow. It took me two attempts to get this far and with my first go it took over a year just to hear I didn’t make the grade , got my fingers crossed for you mate , you’ll eventually get the phone call, keep us updated, and yes come to South Wales, so much better than the north (totally not bias)

Matt11

Yeah, I was told 24 months. I don’t mind about waiting, I’m more concerned that there’s a chance after the 24 months I still may not receive a call. Was over the moon passing the interview, and really want to get into the rail industry, but what will be will be. I live about 30 mins or so away from the depot. Do they take the score of your tests and interview in to consideration do you know?
I’ve emailed the recruitment team, but unfortunately no updates as of yet, just going to remain hopeful, positive and patient. Thanks for the information, hopefully you’ll get the call soon, and then you can let us know how your getting on with the course. All the best

MP393

I have been taken out of the talent pool after around a 10 month wait, so it’s definitely worth the wait people.

Is anybody else on here on the course starting 5th September? Just wondering if they’ll be anybody else from here with me!

thematrix

I have been taken out of the talent pool after around a 10 month wait, so it’s definitely worth the wait people.

Is anybody else on here on the course starting 5th September? Just wondering if they’ll be anybody else from here with me!
Well done on getting your start date. Thats fantastic news. Well done! You must be so releived at last and happy to start. I am still waiting for my start date. What depot will you be based at? Are you waiting for your medical now?

Status
Not open for further replies.