• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Conductor Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

thematrix

Hi I am wondering if anyone / knows anyone who was put into a 12 month Talent Pool but never got a start date? It hasn't been that long for me (October) since I found out I was in the talent pool, but I am just worrying that I will never hear haha.

After some reassurance

I applied for Valleys and Cardiff.
Well done for passing your interview. Congratulations for making it this far.

Cardiff is a huge depot with a lot of turnaround and movement as staff go on to become drivers, move depots or go into other areas.

Cardiff has the quickest start date for candidates being anywhere between 3 weeks and 3 months. Others on this forum thread only waited like a month or 2 before hearing of a start date. Most likely you will be looking at starting in the new year i imagine around March/April time but dont quote me on this as depends on needs of the depot and availability of training courses.

They will call you and email you to offer your start date and medical etc. you can always send a polite email to say you are still keen and interested to start. Use an existing email you have received from the recruitment team to reply back to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tevion539

Hi I am wondering if anyone / knows anyone who was put into a 12 month Talent Pool but never got a start date? It hasn't been that long for me (October) since I found out I was in the talent pool, but I am just worrying that I will never hear haha.

After some reassurance

I applied for Valleys and Cardiff.
Have you tried emailing TfW to see if they have any updates? Just as a polite nudge? Given that we applied roughly the same time I can't imagine you'd be waiting too long.

ValleyLine

Have you tried emailing TfW to see if they have any updates? Just as a polite nudge? Given that we applied roughly the same time I can't imagine you'd be waiting too long.
Yes I have, they told me that hey don't have an update at the moment but as soon as one becomes available, someone from the team will be in contact. Just can't wait to get the ball rolling haha.

Tevion539

Yes I have, they told me that hey don't have an update at the moment but as soon as one becomes available, someone from the team will be in contact. Just can't wait to get the ball rolling haha.
The fact that since we both applied they are now advertising new roles should be good news that they're expecting new start dates soon enough.

Jacob Didcote

The fact that since we both applied they are now advertising new roles should be good news that they're expecting new start dates soon enough.
Yeah I applied for Cardiff Valleys this morning, after a bit of thinking I withdrew the application and applied for mainline. Passed all 3 tests previously for GWR and was put in the talent pool but haven't heard anything since last May when I found out I was successful. I have sat these tests before for TfW but didn't score high enough. Hopefully this one maybe the right time!

chmt

Hi. Does anyone know what shift patterns you work once qualified for Cardiff mainline and Cardiff Valleys line? As in 4 or 5 day weeks? Are Sundays included as a working day or overtime?

craigybagel

Established Member
Hi. Does anyone know what shift patterns you work once qualified for Cardiff mainline and Cardiff Valleys line? As in 4 or 5 day weeks?
4 day week for all in Valleys and most on Mainline. There's still a small amount left on 5 day weeks there but it decreases every year as more see the light. I would assume any new starter at Mainline would go into the 4 day link as well.
Are Sundays included as a working day or overtime?
Sundays are outside but committed. The Welsh assembly would like them to be brought inside, and talks are currently taking place to that effect, but nothing is set in stone yet.

chmt

So what days to you have off during a certain period. I assume it varies week to week which day you off? Is there a big difference between mainline or valleys as unsure which to apply for!

Tevion539

Yeah I applied for Cardiff Valleys this morning, after a bit of thinking I withdrew the application and applied for mainline. Passed all 3 tests previously for GWR and was put in the talent pool but haven't heard anything since last May when I found out I was successful. I have sat these tests before for TfW but didn't score high enough. Hopefully this one maybe the right time!
I went through the tests with SWR last year and GWR this year because they wouldn't accept the swr ones for some reason Tfw took my previous results. Personally, I'd have just applied for both and not withdrawn the original application. Good luck!

So what days to you have off during a certain period. I assume it varies week to week which day you off? Is there a big difference between mainline or valleys as unsure which to apply for!
Why not apply for both and take whichever comes first? I presume you can just request a transfer to either if you don't think its working out.

craigybagel

Established Member
So what days to you have off during a certain period. I assume it varies week to week which day you off?
Week one you get Monday and Tuesday off, week two Wednesday and Thursday, week three Friday and Saturday, which brings you back around to week one again giving you a 5 day weekend every 3 weeks.
Is there a big difference between mainline or valleys as unsure which to apply for!
As the name suggests, at the Valleys you spend your days bouncing up and down the Valleys, and out to Barry Island and Penarth. Mainline works the further routes - still some work close to Cardiff like Maesteg and Ebbw Vale, but also working all the way up to Chester, Crewe and Milford Haven. On the valleys you'll be stopping at stations every couple of minutes all day long - on the mainline it's a bit less intense.

chmt

Thanks for your help @craigybagel you have been super helpful. Final questions. What is the salary once qualified including shift allowance as I would be taking a pay cut for the official training which I am prepared to do. Also what is the holiday entitlement like? Many thanks again.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thanks for your help @craigybagel you have been super helpful. Final questions. What is the salary once qualified including shift allowance as I would be taking a pay cut for the official training which I am prepared to do. Also what is the holiday entitlement like? Many thanks again.
Not sure on the exact salary these days, I think it's in or around £35k now. No shift allowance, but there is enhanced pay for rest day or Sunday working, commission on tickets sold and a payment for every ticket scanned. Not a bad way to earn a living all things considered!

Jacob Didcote

I went through the tests with SWR last year and GWR this year because they wouldn't accept the swr ones for some reason Tfw took my previous results. Personally, I'd have just applied for both and not withdrawn the original application. Good luck!

Why not apply for both and take whichever comes first? I presume you can just request a transfer to either if you don't think its working out.
It states on the application to only apply for one being either Valley or Mainline. I presume its to reduce the number of duplicates.

chmt

Not sure on the exact salary these days, I think it's in or around £35k now. No shift allowance, but there is enhanced pay for rest day or Sunday working, commission on tickets sold and a payment for every ticket scanned. Not a bad way to earn a living all things considered!
Good coin that.

thematrix

It states on the application to only apply for one being either Valley or Mainline. I presume its to reduce the number of duplicates.
you can mention at interview that you are flexible for both so they can place you in the talent pool for both. So if a vacancy arises in either they can call you for a quicker start date. Some people applying for one depot may got offered a start date with a different depot if a vacancy arises and you are still within commuting distance.

It used to give you the option to select more than one depot on the online application form if there were vacancies at other nearby depots as well. I originally applied for Machynlleth and Pwllheli for train driver role as they are both near me.

When I applied to be a conductor I later got added to talent pools for Holyhead and Llandudno Junction as they were also within an hour as wanted to try and speed up my start date. I emailed recruitment and asked to be added to these locations as well. They replied back saying as long as Im still within a hour commute then they are happy to consider me for these locations as well.

The online application now states to apply for one and if you want to apply for other depots then this is to be declared at interview stage.

Recently spoken with recruitment. Starting £27k and then moves onto £36.5k now after 6 months.

Last edited:

Jacob Didcote

you can mention at interview that you are flexible for both so they can place you in the talent pool for both. So if a vacancy arises in either they can call you for a quicker start date. Some people applying for one depot may got offered a start date with a different depot if a vacancy arises and you are still within commuting distance.

It used to give you the option to select more than one depot on the online application form if there were vacancies at other nearby depots as well. I originally applied for Machynlleth and Pwllheli for train driver role as they are both near me.

When I applied to be a conductor I later go added to talent pools for Holyhead and Llandudno Junction as they were also within an hour as wanted to try and speed up my start date. I emailed recruitment and asked to be added to these locations as well. They replied back saying as long as Im still within a hour commute then they are happy to consider me for these locations as well.

The online application now states to apply for one and if you want to apply for other depots then this is to be declared at interview stage.

Recently spoken with recruitment. Starting £27k and then moves onto £36.5k now after 6 months.
Didn't think of it like that. If I get through to the interview stage I will mention it. Wouldn't mind to work on either!

thematrix

Didn't think of it like that. If I get through to the interview stage I will mention it. Wouldn't mind to work on either!
There is interview advice and information for conductor interviews on this forum thread for Conductor Talent pool. It will let you know what sort of questions they ask and how to handle it. Once you have passed your interview and have your confirmation email of being in the talent pool, reply back to it to ask to be placed in talent pools for both main line and Valleys.

They are normally quite good to reply back and say once a vacancy arises in either they will call you up for start date and medical etc. Let us know how you get on and Good luck!

Tevion539

Training is now £28.8k. Base salary after qualification is just over £38,000. Overtime is 1.5x hourly rate and Sunday OT is 2.0x hourly rate. It works out to (roughly) £21, £32 and £42 per hour respectively.

When I applied to be a conductor I later got added to talent pools for Holyhead and Llandudno Junction as they were also within an hour as wanted to try and speed up my start date. I emailed recruitment and asked to be added to these locations as well. They replied back saying as long as Im still within a hour commute then they are happy to consider me for these locations as well.

They asked in the interview which two deports are best for me

Last edited:

thematrix

Training is now £28.8k. Base salary after qualification is just over £38,000. Overtime is 1.5x hourly rate and Sunday OT is 2.0x hourly rate. It works out to (roughly) £21, £32 and £42 per hour respectively.

They asked in the interview which two deports are best for me
Looks like you get a slightly higher wage down south with Cardiff mainline around the city areas. I imagine price of living is higher hence a higher salary for £28k starting with £38k aftet 6 months.

Im in Northern areas for North wales around small towns and villages for Machynlleth depot and my contract is only showing £27k starting with £36.5k after 6 months lol

craigybagel

Established Member
Looks like you get a slightly higher wage down south with Cardiff mainline around the city areas. I imagine price of living is higher hence a higher salary for £28k starting with £38k aftet 6 months.

Im in Northern areas for North wales around small towns and villages for Machynlleth depot and my contract is only showing £27k starting with £36.5k after 6 months lol
The salary is the same for everyone, there is no Cardiff weighting. Might it be that your contract was written before the 6.6% payrise came into effect? Although backdated to July, it only came into effect last week.

thematrix

The salary is the same for everyone, there is no Cardiff weighting. Might it be that your contract was written before the 6.6% payrise came into effect? Although backdated to July, it only came into effect last week.
Oh right thats good to know. Thank you for letting me know. Its nice to hear il be getting the same as everyone else then. I will double check with them when I start my induction then lol.

Tevion539

That was the salary when I applied and done my interview, however my contract was only written last week. It was nice to see a substantially higher wage than I was expecting:)

millbatron

I know this might sound like a stupid question but does anyone know what the route for Cardiff Mainline is? I have applied for this depot but have no idea what that really means, whether it is multiple routes or just one etc.

craigybagel

Established Member
I know this might sound like a stupid question but does anyone know what the route for Cardiff Mainline is? I have applied for this depot but have no idea what that really means, whether it is multiple routes or just one etc.
From the guards traction and route card thread. Note this is slightly outdated as 143s are no longer in service and 197 training has now commenced.
Cardiff Central (Mainline):
Traction: 67/MK4 Coaches/MK4 DVT (training will take a while, but is in progress. No longer link-dependant), 143, 150, 153, 158, 170, 175, 197 (training due to start imminently).

Cardiff to Swansea to Carmarthen to Milford Haven
Bridgend to Llanelli via Swansea District line
Cardiff to Bridgend via Barry
Bridgend to Maesteg
Cardiff to Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury to Chester including Crewe triangle
Cardiff to Ebbw Vale Town
Newport to Cheltenham Spa

LiamHolloway

I’m just beginning 4 weeks of minding after route learning. Routes I’ve learnt as follows:

Cardiff-Cheltham Spa
Cardiff - Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury - Crewe
Shrewsbury- Chester
Cardiff- Bridgend via Vale of Glamorgan
Cardiff- Bridgend via mainline
Bridgend- maesteg
Bridgend- Swansea
Swansea - Carmarthen
Carmarthen- Milford heaven
Cardiff - Ebbw Vale

Don’t think I’ve missed any.

craigybagel

Established Member
I’m just beginning 4 weeks of minding after route learning. Routes I’ve learnt as follows:

Cardiff-Cheltham Spa
Cardiff - Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury - Crewe
Shrewsbury- Chester
Cardiff- Bridgend via Vale of Glamorgan
Cardiff- Bridgend via mainline
Bridgend- maesteg
Bridgend- Swansea
Swansea - Carmarthen
Carmarthen- Milford heaven
Cardiff - Ebbw Vale

Don’t think I’ve missed any.
Crewe - Chester is the only one I see missing on that list - Cardiff guards have a small amount of booked work on the shuttle between the two.

LiamHolloway

Crewe - Chester is the only one I see missing on that list - Cardiff guards have a small amount of booked work on the shuttle between the two.
Apologies yes Crewe - Chester was missing. The Crewe - Chester I think we mainly get given to meet the Mk4 in Chester to take back to Cardiff. I’m not mk4 trained yet so doubt I’ll get it as much .

Status
Not open for further replies.