• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Conductor Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP393

Well done on getting your start date. Thats fantastic news. Well done! You must be so releived at last and happy to start. I am still waiting for my start date. What depot will you be based at? Are you waiting for your medical now?

Thank you! I’ll be based at Crewe, I had my medical a few weeks back but just didn’t get round to posting back on here. I’m sure it won’t be long now, the backlog from Covid really hasn’t helped but it’s definitely good to see them getting through trainees now. No news is good news until the end of that talent pool!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thematrix

Thanks for giving a heads up to say they are starting to move through nothern regions for conductors. Thats good news to hear. I hear courses are planned well into 2023 from the sheer numbers on intake from the past 2 years. A lot of people from Chester / crew regions on here. Im from North wales regions around the villages where waiting times are normally 2 years on average around Holyhead and Machynllether, Pwllheli and Llandudno.

Im in the talent pool for all of these waiting 16 months now so will send another chaser email me thinks. Well done on passing your medical. Last hurdle done and full steam ahead for you now then. Are they training you in Crewe as well or are they running the classroom out of Chester for you?

LiamHolloway

Well done on getting your start date. Thats fantastic news. Well done! You must be so releived at last and happy to start. I am still waiting for my start date. What depot will you be based at? Are you waiting for your medical now?
They migget be moving some things around mate so keep the positive thoughts high. My start date has been moved to 5th of September now and they may be doing the same for others so might free up more spaces in future courses so hopefully you might not be waiting much longer now if they’ve freed up a bit of room.

thematrix

They migget be moving some things around mate so keep the positive thoughts high. My start date has been moved to 5th of September now and they may be doing the same for others so might free up more spaces in future courses so hopefully you might not be waiting much longer now if they’ve freed up a bit of room.
Hi Liam, thanks for letting me know mate. Thats useful to know. Im still staying positive. Sorry to hear they delayed you slightly. Nothing ever runs on time in the rail industry. Thats annoying. 5th September is not that far away now then. Nearly there. Sounds like youve had quite the journey to get this far as well and done really well to get up to this point when most people would have easily of given up a long time ago its inspiring to hear you have remained strong throughout. I tip my hat to you good sir. Its all about the journey my friend on what it took to get us there. Although the destination is also pretty cushty.

I hear there have been delays in introducing the new train units and all the industrial strike action hasnt helped either. I think all the money from governement grants to train new trainess from their massive recruitment drive has ended up being used in these areas delaying things up leaving a massive backlog of new potential starters they dont know what to do with. I just keep hearing they've taken on way more conductors than they actually need.

It looks like they are recruiting a new Conductor manager for Machynlleth which is the depot i applied for and I was interviewed by this manager. I dont know if hes still around so who knows whats going on. (Shoulder shrug). Oh well. :s

Yeah, I was told 24 months. I don’t mind about waiting, I’m more concerned that there’s a chance after the 24 months I still may not receive a call. Was over the moon passing the interview, and really want to get into the rail industry, but what will be will be. I live about 30 mins or so away from the depot. Do they take the score of your tests and interview in to consideration do you know?
I’ve emailed the recruitment team, but unfortunately no updates as of yet, just going to remain hopeful, positive and patient. Thanks for the information, hopefully you’ll get the call soon, and then you can let us know how your getting on with the course. All the best
I know They used to keep track of your interview score to determine your place in the talent pool. They used to be able to tell you which position you are in to give a rough indication of where you stand and how likely you are to be called up. I think this has since changed as kept confidential and shrouded in mystery at the moment, due to the sheer number of emails people sending in asking what position they are in the talent pool.

I spoke to a conductor passing through Machynlleth who said 3 months after he was interviewed they did another round of interviews and someone from that round scored higher than him and was pushed ahead for a start date before he was and had to wait 8 months to hear of a start date himself. I think now interviews seem more binary as pass or fail. They seem to prioritise your location to the depot now. People who live closest to their depot are being called up first with the rest left in reserve if people drop out or fail medicals etc.

I wish they told me 24 months originally to help set my exceptions in order rather than panicking after 12 months and being told ive been extended. They said on the email i might need to re apply if I dont get a start date which is annoying. Can only keep trying really.

Nothing was made clear on my interview. They didnt even bother to mention what a talent pool was leaving me very confused and frustrated trying to figure out for myself what was going on. On the interview they seemed really keen and made it sound like they were going to get me up and running quite quickly mentioning talent pools for April/May making me think they were going to call me up in May to start. I was so happy and all fired up and ready to go and full of energy and ambition. Now, after 16 months I just feel really flat now. Im still trudging through trying to remain hopeful.

Last edited:

thematrix

Mate of mine not on here did for Crewe. Just wondering if anyone else had
oh right, when was the interview? Normally quite quick to get back to you within a few days to a week. Sometimes 2 weeks depending on size of intake. A lot of people on here applying to Crewe. Seems to be a big intake. I heard back myself after 3 days applying to Machynlleth. I just sent a courtesy email the day after my interview to the recruitment team to say thank you for the interview, i really enjoyed it meeting the managers and discussing the role. Please let me know if successful as I remain keen to start. I had a reply back the next day saying I was successful.

Use an existing email received from the recruitment team like the interview invite email and click reply so they can see the email history of where they are at with you. This should go straight through to the correct person to see whether successful or not and should hear back in a few days. If successful they will send a confirmation of talent pool email to advise of 12 month waiting list. Otherwise try sending an email to:

[email protected]

Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
I believe theres a week full of interviews for Chester this week.

Regarding backlog of training for new units etc mentioned above, as far as I am aware this is not the case. North depots now mostly trained on 197s and I believe the introduction dates are still autumn as planned - the training for 197s doesn't affect conductor courses as its a separate program ran mostly by instructors rather than trainers.

They do seem to be taking on a lot of conductors - I assume it is planned around retirement dates for older staff, upping of frequency for Bidston and Liverpools, and Im guessing for new routes (Liverpool to North Wales etc if they ever go ahead?)

I suppose some conductors may be on the waiting lists to move onto driver courses too.

thematrix

Thats useful to know. Will hopefully start to hear of some more course start dates for the Autumn then.

I have been taken out of the talent pool after around a 10 month wait, so it’s definitely worth the wait people.

Is anybody else on here on the course starting 5th September? Just wondering if they’ll be anybody else from here with me!
Did you have to send out any chaser emails to find out what was happening during your 10 month wait or did you just leave it until they contacted you after 10 months? Also What is your commute time to your depot?

Last edited:

MP393

Thats useful to know. Will hopefully start to hear of some more course start dates for the Autumn then.

Did you have to send out any chaser emails to find out what was happening during your 10 month wait or did you just leave it until they contacted you after 10 months? Also What is your commute time to your depot?

I didn’t send any chase up emails to be honest, I’m already in a railway job (not conductor) so I knew railway recruitment can take it’s time especially after the COVID delays. I’m also at the top end of the distance from the depot, so I don’t think that’s had anything to play here!

LiamHolloway

I have been taken out of the talent pool after around a 10 month wait, so it’s definitely worth the wait people.

Is anybody else on here on the course starting 5th September? Just wondering if they’ll be anybody else from here with me!
Hey mate I was originally starting in October but other day I got also moved to now start on the September 5th course. So shall see you there!

Matt11

No I’ve not heard anything.
Been in the pool since June waiting for Chester
Are you waiting for Chester also ?
No I’m waiting for Carmarthen depot, sent a couple of emails but no updates as of yet. In the talent pool for 24 months though, is it the same for you?

Bootle 63

No I’m waiting for Carmarthen depot, sent a couple of emails but no updates as of yet. In the talent pool for 24 months though, is it the same for you?
Yes they told me up to 24 months
Think it’s just a waiting game and hopefully something will happen in new year
Only been in pool for 4 months so will imagine there are plenty of others that will get course before me

Matt11

Yes they told me up to 24 months
Think it’s just a waiting game and hopefully something will happen in new year
Only been in pool for 4 months so will imagine there are plenty of others that will get course before me
Yeah fingers crossed something comes up soon. Best of luck

LiamHolloway

Thanks, hope you'll hear soon.. If I get wind of any new year courses I'll let you know!
I’m currently in my 7th week about to be out for minders week. Courses are currently planned well in to 2023 and starting one after another.

thematrix

That’s good to know
Do you know when the courses
are starting in the new year ?
And just like that……….after waiting a long 18 months without hearing anything………I finally got……..The call! Spoke to a nice lady on the phone. Phone call just came out of the blue after not hearing anything for many months. If all goes well, I start on the 9th January. Machynlleth would be my depot for trainee train conductor. Really looking forward to it. Cant wait!

Matt11

And just like that……….after waiting a long 18 months without hearing anything………I finally got……..The call! Spoke to a nice lady on the phone. Phone call just came out of the blue after not hearing anything for many months. If all goes well, I start on the 9th January. Machynlleth would be my depot for trainee train conductor. Really looking forward to it. Cant wait!
Brilliant news! Congrats. I had an email on Wednesday saying they have a potential start date, had to send a convenient time to call, but nothing yet. What number do they call from so I’m prepared :)

thematrix

Brilliant news! Congrats. I had an email on Wednesday saying they have a potential start date, had to send a convenient time to call, but nothing yet. What number do they call from so I’m prepared :)
Wowee well done you as well. Another potential starter then. Fantastic news and celebrations in order. Well worth the wait and such a relief at last. I bet you cant wait to get the uniform on as well. I think its a 07790 number off a work phone she rang. We had an initial chat on the phone a few days ago. I tried to send a text with attachment off google maps to prove im still within the hour commute limit but wouldnt go through with it being a work phone.

Im hoping to hear back next week with further updates to get a date for my medical etc. I dont know if It might be a different person depending which depot you are at. Said she was a conductor recruiting manager. Dont worry they will get round to you. They said they are very busy at the moment doing assessments all day for other training courses but we have plenty of time between now and Jan. We might well end up being on the same course. What depot will you be based at?

Status
Not open for further replies.