• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Trainee Conductor Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Reppy

How long did it take TFW to get back to people after their interview?

Mine was over 3 weeks ago now and I've not heard anything back since, tried emailing them twice to no reply at all.
Not knowing if I was successful or not is rather painful.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I've today checked the TFW website for my trainee Conductor application at Crewe, which I sent in roughly May/June and the status is shortlisting.

I know the Railway can take it's time with recruitment, but I'm assuming it's a no from TFW.

AgentGemini

If it was May/June then consider it a bust. TfW HR are not the kindest of people in the industry given the horrific experiences from a friend.

L401CJF

Established Member
Mine was on shortlisting for around 6 months before I got an invite for assessments online. It was then another few months before being invited for an interview. Then got placed into a talent pool. It took 12 months in total between me applying and being placed in the pool.

It takes time in general, even more so with covid issues.

Been told there's a huge intake of conductors and they're struggling to fit enough courses in so there's a backlog of candidates to get through. Courses apparently planned well into 2023 so don't give up hope!

sh309

I found out I had passed the interview and was put into the Talent Pool at the beginning of November and I have a start date of 24th Jan for Cardiff. Wondered if anyone else here is with me?

Canonite

Well done! I passed the interview in September and have been placed in the talent pool. No news yet...

When did you apply? Im just trying to gauge the length of the process. Close date to interviews, interviews to talent pools, talent pool to employment

AgentGemini

I applied end of October, got my app in a weke ebfore the new close date of 9th Nov, as originally it had been for 2nd Nov.
Heard nothing. I understand other people have had SCAAT tests and someone who works on the railway tells me they got an invite to next stage or interview in Nov-Dec just gone. Get the feeling my app has been canned. :(

L401CJF

Established Member
I applied end of October, got my app in a weke ebfore the new close date of 9th Nov, as originally it had been for 2nd Nov.
Heard nothing. I understand other people have had SCAAT tests and someone who works on the railway tells me they got an invite to next stage or interview in Nov-Dec just gone. Get the feeling my app has been canned. :(
As previously mentioned I waited 6months between applying and actually hearing anything. The whole process for me took about 12 months. I have explained this above and the reasons why, just because others have heard doesn't mean you've been "canned", the courses are all fully booked and the wait for dates is already racing into 2023 and beyond. There's no point rushing people into assessments and talent pools if there's not going to be a start date for over 2 years!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
As previously mentioned I waited 6months between applying and actually hearing anything. The whole process for me took about 12 months. I have explained this above and the reasons why, just because others have heard doesn't mean you've been "canned", the courses are all fully booked and the wait for dates is already racing into 2023 and beyond. There's no point rushing people into assessments and talent pools if there's not going to be a start date for over 2 years!
As I've already mentioned earlier, I applied towards the middle of 2021 and haven't heard anything from TFW.

I know Railway Recruitment can be slow at times, but I do feel that no communication after more than 6 months after the application deadline is very poor. Even just an email to say sorry it's taking a long time, but we'll keep you informed of developments would be appreciated.

L401CJF

Established Member
As I've already mentioned earlier, I applied towards the middle of 2021 and haven't heard anything from TFW.

I know Railway Recruitment can be slow at times, but I do feel that no communication after more than 6 months after the application deadline is very poor. Even just an email to say sorry it's taking a long time, but we'll keep you informed of developments would be appreciated.
Regarding communication, I applied when they were using Acorn Recruitment for the applications. I received a confirmation email that my application had been received and that I'd get an update from Acorn every few weeks on its status. Never recieved one update. To be honest I'd forgotten I'd applied. Then out of the blue I got an invite to the online assessments!

I agree not knowing isn't nice, but just stick it out, forget you applied, and as long as you've not had a rejection email, don't count yourself out :D

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Regarding communication, I applied when they were using Acorn Recruitment for the applications. I received a confirmation email that my application had been received and that I'd get an update from Acorn every few weeks on its status. Never recieved one update. To be honest I'd forgotten I'd applied. Then out of the blue I got an invite to the online assessments!

I agree not knowing isn't nice, but just stick it out, forget you applied, and as long as you've not had a rejection email, don't count yourself out :D
Thank you for your post. Good luck!

Ever hopeful!

When did you apply? Im just trying to gauge the length of the process. Close date to interviews, interviews to talent pools, talent pool to employment
Hello,

I apllied in march 2021. Completed various test through the summer and was interviewed at the beginning of September...

Regards..

AgentGemini

Having spoken to friends today, a mate in Cardiff applied 20th Dec on a whim and has been invited for SCAAT testing already. Meanwhile I'm still listed as "shortlisting" for my Shrewsbury application.
A second friendly, already in the industry, applied to tfw in 2019 and never heard anything - never formally rejected but never got any reply or advancement. Ever. I am pretty certain TfW are positively roaring through applicants in this round of recruitment.

sh309

I applied February last year through Acorn, heard nothing until August when I did the three stages of online testing then nothing til October, invited to interview in November and found out the same day I’d got the job and put in the Talent Pool. Found out about a week before Christmas that my start date is 24th Jan. So nearly a year from start to finish.

Ever hopeful!

I applied February last year through Acorn, heard nothing until August when I did the three stages of online testing then nothing til October, invited to interview in November and found out the same day I’d got the job and put in the Talent Pool. Found out about a week before Christmas that my start date is 24th Jan. So nearly a year from start to finish.
It does seem to be an agonisingly long process that's shrouded in mystery! What depot will you be attached to?

sh309

It does seem to be an agonisingly long process that's shrouded in mystery! What depot will you be attached to?
I’m going to Cardiff based but the contract says Cardiff/Taff’s Well as it may change down the line. How about you?

wobman

On Moderation
I’m going to Cardiff based but the contract says Cardiff/Taff’s Well as it may change down the line. How about you?
I woukd try and stay Cardiff mainline if I had the choice

AgentGemini

As I understood, new intake conductors were all for the Valleys. Mainline is like a link to step upto as and when needed?

Rhian

Just wondered if anyone in the talent pool had heard anything yet? If so what depot did you apply for? I’m still waiting patiently but have heard of some starting courses so am a bit nervous I’ve been forgotten!

Ever hopeful!

Hello all - Anyone else had a start date of 11th April (my guess is that training would be in Cardiff)?

Also... Can anyone let me know what to expect on the 1st 12 wk training block?

Much appreciated..

Hello all - I've had a start date for training on the 11th April. I'm assuming training is in Cardiff. Anyone else have the same date?

Does anyone know what to expect on the initial 12wks training?

Many thanks

Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
Hello all - Anyone else had a start date of 11th April (my guess is that training would be in Cardiff)?

Also... Can anyone let me know what to expect on the 1st 12 wk training block?

Much appreciated..

Hello all - I've had a start date for training on the 11th April. I'm assuming training is in Cardiff. Anyone else have the same date?

Does anyone know what to expect on the initial 12wks training?

Many thanks
Congratulations!
First 12 weeks include, but not limited to-
Induction
Personal Track Safety
Retail and Revenue
Managing conflict
Safety and Security
Booking on, reading diagrams etc
Traction Training
Signalling
Managing train movements
Dispatch
Reporting
Minders week
Degraded working
Emergency working
Traction exams
ICE Exam

Ever hopeful!

Congratulations!
First 12 weeks include, but not limited to-
Induction
Personal Track Safety
Retail and Revenue
Managing conflict
Safety and Security
Booking on, reading diagrams etc
Traction Training
Signalling
Managing train movements
Dispatch
Reporting
Minders week
Degraded working
Emergency working
Traction exams
ICE Exam
Thanks for the info! Wow.. A fair bit to do!

Nice one..

D.thomas

Evening all!

I have applied for the position of trainee conductor with TFW, will I receive an email regardless of wherever I’ve passed or failed the application process? Only because I haven’t received an email, but when I check the application it says current stage is online SCAAT? I have seen that some have received links to the test late, just wondering even if I hadn’t made this stage, would I be notified.

Thanks all

THE158

Evening all!

I have applied for the position of trainee conductor with TFW, will I receive an email regardless of wherever I’ve passed or failed the application process? Only because I haven’t received an email, but when I check the application it says current stage is online SCAAT? I have seen that some have received links to the test late, just wondering even if I hadn’t made this stage, would I be notified.

Thanks all
Hi D.thomas my application still says online SCAAT stage and I successfully completed that and have since had an interview sit tight they will get in touch with you

D.thomas

Well, that’s a bit odd isn’t it? Or no? I haven’t even sat the test, never mind the interview… just thought I’d have been notified regardless

THE158

Well, that’s a bit odd isn’t it? Or no? I haven’t even sat the test, never mind the interview… just thought I’d have been notified regardless
I think the website could need updating have you tried contacting them using the contact us link on the website ?

Status
Not open for further replies.